DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Seam - seem
Old 01-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Redline Goods Shift Boot - Installed

Boot is installed back in the car. Looks great, IMO.

Looking at the final product, it's almost a strange feeling because it looks so normal, almost unremarkable; exactly like it could have come that way from the factory. And let's face it, the OEM boot really should have been leather. It's kind of lame they went with vinyl.

Here's a picture with my winter ****:

And the same picture with my titanium ****:

And another Ti-**** shot:

And a shot backed up a little, for the whole dash:

Last edited by Rochester; 01-28-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Ugh... my 2016 mod plans are getting reshuffled. Lots and lots of big-ticket expenses are causing the wife no small amount of agita. I may have to push the rear gears to the back of the year, or 2017.

(sad)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Seam... exactly. Can't believe that happened by accident, LOL.

And the Maxwell Smart character had a well known catch-phrase.

Get Smart - "Missed It By THAT Much!" - YouTube

And once again, 4DRZ was right about the fitment issues being no big deal. Turns out that yes, I had to cut four little slits for the tabs, but only two extra holes for proper fitment. It's all snapped back together now, and I'm working on the center piece.

It's certainly slow going. I must have fitted it on and off about twenty times.
Now, that makes sense about Get Smart.

Glad to see everything turned out with the shift boot. Did you just re-use the factory plastic piece under the shift **** to attach the top of the boot?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Did you just re-use the factory plastic piece under the shift **** to attach the top of the boot?
Yep. I used a strip of double-sided mounting tape around that piece, so the 4 extensions could be held in place before applying a zip-tie to fasten it down. Then that thick felt piece in the middle, invert the boot, and presto!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Glad you went with the darker leather. Looks awesome.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Yep. Looks great
Old 01-28-2016, 09:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Another Home run John, goes perfect w/ everything. Should pave the way for others wanting to tie in their interior in a more upscale way.
Look forward to your console cover when the time comes.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-28-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Looks perfect. Great choice
Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I think we had talked about it, but my TWM boot was missing two holes and the 4 tabs that had to be cut. I called them to get info on returning the boot, and they refunded money! Said it wasn't worth the shipping to send it back! I just threw it in a box for a few months. Finally got around to buying a leather puncher and got it done. I didn't feel like the install was too bad though!

Looks good man! Glad you got it together! Too bad about the gears though. I'm still in the fence about it, depends on if I have to commute to school. Need to do more research on how much of a difference it truly makes with mpg.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Looks good man! Glad you got it together!
Thanks! Me too.

Almost immediately after installing the boot, I was convinced I'd be getting matching leather for the armrest lid. So much so that I removed the lid and started experimenting with it.

But somewhere along the way, I changed my mind. My thinking is that the dark brown vinyl armrest lid matches the "stone" plastics better than the charcoal leather does. But the charcoal leather works so well because it's contained within the center stack, which has all the aluminum trim. However, the armrest lid stands alone, away and apart from all the complementing trim. Plus it's the exact same dark brown vinyl that's on all four door panels.

In other words, I've come to the conclusion that the new boot is a better color (and material) where it is, but would look out of place on the armrest.

Kind of sucks. I wanted to do that.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:11 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Boot is installed back in the car. Looks great, IMO.

Looking at the final product, it's almost a strange feeling because it looks so normal, almost unremarkable; exactly like it could have come that way from the factory. And let's face it, the OEM boot really should have been leather. It's kind of lame they went with vinyl.

Here's a picture with my winter ****:

And the same picture with my titanium ****:

And another Ti-**** shot:

And a shot backed up a little, for the whole dash:

Looks really good. I think your color choice is spot on. Just one thought... did you consider using a contrasting color for the stitching (i.e. light grey) to help integrate with your quartz interior? Or did you not want to draw any extra attention to the stitching?

You've actually got me considering a redo on my boot and going with full perforated leather. Thanks for that. Right now my boot has perforated leather on the 2 side segments with solid leather for the front and back, but I'm not happy with the stitching I chose, as it does not match my new GT-R shift ****, so I'm thinking of ordering another boot with different stitching anyway.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
did you consider using a contrasting color for the stitching (i.e. light grey) to help integrate with your quartz interior? Or did you not want to draw any extra attention to the stitching?
I did consider contrasting stitching. In fact, my first inclination was to do that. It wasn't until I got the samples, and let this project simmer for a while in my head, that I realized I didn't want to call attention to it. Too much like racing stripes, with a look-at-me design. In the end, I realized what I wanted was something that could be OEM, or should be OEM, but better. So I went with matching thread.

The thing I'm very gratified about was the 4-panel design over the OEM 3-panel. It works so much better in that boot area, because there are four "corners" on the inside. It's only on the outer trim that the area is more triangular. But the leather doesn't fit the outer trim, it fits the inner side of the aluminum trim... which has four corners. And thank goodness Redline Goods cut those panels with the appropriate dimensions in mind.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Stupid winter. Granted, one of the most inconsequential winters ever for Western New York, but I still hate it.

Got my Vossens all cleaned and waxed and ready for Spring. This will be my third year now with these wheels. Tires, too. These PSS are holding up very, very well. Even with the negative camber in my drop, the wear seems perfectly even. I figure this might be my last year with the rear tires, and another two with the fronts. Hard to say, though... it's the kind of thing you have to assess year over year.

Anyway, looking good here in my basement.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:38 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Very nice. They really do look brand-new. Tires as well. As a matter of fact those tires not look new, they look great as well. I know tires have a purpose...99.9% of which is performance, but those PSSs look great doing it.

Please remind me your rear widths, offsets and camber (-1.3 was it?).

Sean

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G