Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The supercharger and competition clutch made his car simply brutal, and honestly very difficult to drive. Plus, the old VQ35 couldn't handle the strain more than a year, so he's in process of rebuilding again. Personally, I have zero ambitions to go FI with my G. None whatsoever.

Whatever ambitions I had for going forced induction were naive and are now gone. I've put far too much love, time, and money into this G to risk a potential rebuild. I feel like after I get the Ecuteck tune done I'll be very pleased with the power mods and the overall performance of the vehicle. When I'm able to get a surge of adrenaline with just a light touch of the racing pedals I'll be one elated individual.

All three of us met on Maxima.org years ago, and we each moved on to the Infiniti G. Sometimes, you actually can establish friendships on a car forum that extend into real life, and last over the years. Helps to be in driving distance, though. As for being in a different country... meh, Canada is only 80 miles away, even if it's still a total b1tch crossing the border.
It's great that you were able to make lasting connections from the maxima forum. I'm happy for you. I feel like there are some really great potential real world friends on here that could lead to long term friendships. But it's difficult because like you said it helps if your within driving distance of each other. Being from Arkansas I'm not really located close to any of them members. Save for RexHavok and streettec. But I hope to make some lasting connections if possible. That includes you John. Enjoy your visit with your old school maxima crew.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by jroyalty7
Hey friend,
You're probably going to get sick of me bothering you but I trust/value your opinions so that's what you get for being a well informed consumer lol. Wondering what your plans are to protect that beautiful exhaust system from these brutal WNY winters? Obviously I have a selfish reason for asking this lol.
There's nothing you can do except to not drive the car when the roads are wet with road salt. Fortunately, I work at home, with little demand that my car be exposed. And I have my wife's Honda, because she only works part-time.

However, it is just a car, after all. You have to remember that and set priorities, no matter how uncomfortable. So I do put snow tires on the G, and I do still drive it when absolutely necessary. Which means next spring there will be some winter corrosion on the exposed SS parts. It's just a fact of NY life, man.

At least two or three times throughout the winter, when temps are above freezing, I'm sure to get under the backside of the car and clean up the cans & tips. But that's my only advice.

If metal polish alone doesn't cut it, you can always clean SS surfaces with 4-naught (0000) steel wool, and then metal polish. I expect that will have to happen.
The following users liked this post:
jroyalty7 (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 03:16 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
There's nothing you can do except to not drive the car when the roads are wet with road salt. Fortunately, I work at home, with little demand that my car be exposed. And I have my wife's Honda, because she only works part-time.

However, it is just a car, after all. You have to remember that and set priorities, no matter how uncomfortable. So I do put snow tires on the G, and I do still drive it when absolutely necessary. Which means next spring there will be some winter corrosion on the exposed SS parts. It's just a fact of NY life, man.

At least two or three times throughout the winter, when temps are above freezing, I'm sure to get under the backside of the car and clean up the cans & tips. But that's my only advice.

If metal polish alone doesn't cut it, you can always clean SS surfaces with 4-naught (0000) steel wool, and then metal polish. I expect that will have to happen.
Truth! I wasn't sure though as I've read here and there about people using waxes or oils but I wasn't sure if that would apply in a weather situation such as we face yearly. Boy that will be a sad day when I see the rust starting, but a fact of life in our area, as you said. Thanks again for the solid answer.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Engine Bay Clean-up

Some clean-up on the engine bay. Not too shabby for a northeast car and 24K miles... feeling pretty good about it.
  • Painted the intake heat-shields and brackets.
  • Polished the intake mid-pipes.
  • Polished all the SS and Titanium bolts and brackets.
  • Polished the FSTB.
  • Polished the AC return lines.
  • Z1 Motorsport valve-cover hoses (Thanks, Chris!).
  • Armor All and Tire Gel on all the plastics.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (07-04-2015), Redfire32 (07-05-2015), RexHavoc (07-05-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Wow ^^^ !!!! Very very nice. How did you polish everything John? By hand or with a tool? It looks amazing in there.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

By hand. Started working on it yesterday... zen moment.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
By hand. Started working on it yesterday... zen moment.
Nice work from the Zen Master
Old 07-05-2015, 08:59 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Some clean-up on the engine bay. Not too shabby for a northeast car and 24K miles... feeling pretty good about it.
  • Painted the intake heat-shields and brackets.
  • Polished the intake mid-pipes.
  • Polished all the SS and Titanium bolts and brackets.
  • Polished the FSTB.
  • Polished the AC return lines.
  • Z1 Motorsport valve-cover hoses (Thanks, Chris!).
  • Armor All and Tire Gel on all the plastics.

I believe I could benefit from a class or two; just call me grasshopper.

Looks great John, glad the hoses worked. I need to figure out something for my bay, with the paint I'm not certain about armor all.
Rochester (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I use armor all (and preferably Aerospace 303) primarily as a cleaner. And for interior plastics, I use Aerospace 303 almost exclusively now. But a few years ago, entirely on whim & out of curiosity, I tried using Maguiar's Tire Gel on OEM black plastics. It works not just on engine bay components, but for exterior black-plastic cladding like on my wife's Honda CR-V. The stuff really is amazing, and IDK why it hasn't been marketed for that purpose.

But I recommend it whenever the topic comes up.
Redfire32 (07-05-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

RJM Clutch Pedal Assembly - Unboxed

Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Look forward to your review of that one John (and any reviews you want to post in the review folder would be awesome).
Old 07-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by blnewt
Look forward to your review of that one John (and any reviews you want to post in the review folder would be awesome).
No doubt about it. Rochester's reviews should be a sticky thread
Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Blox Racing Magnetic Drain Plug

Last time I changed my oil was March 2014. I've been using Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic since its second oil change, with the K&N filter, at approximately 6,000 mile OCI. That's 5 oil-changes total, the last 4 with synthetic.

On the last change, I installed this Blox Racing Drain Plug, with this seriously strong magnet extending into the oil pan. The theory is that the magnet will attract little shavings in the oil that aren't filtered. IDK about all that, but it seemed a harmless enough thing to try.

It's only been 5,700 miles since the last oil-change, but 15 months, so I changed it today. (I also soaked the undercarriage cover bolts in WD40, because they were getting pretty rusty.) Anyway, I've been wondering for a long time now what I would find on that magnet.

Nothing. Not a thing. Clean as a whistle.

boobies

Old 07-12-2015, 10:24 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
I added a magnetic drain plug as well as a FilterMag when I had my engine built. I'm guessing the FilterMag should collect more than the drain plug, but I'm not sure if there would even be a way to see if it is working as claimed unless I cut the oil filter in half?

Edit: Found this demo to show the theory of the FilterMag

Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That video is hilarious! Found myself laughing every time he picked up the jar and started shaking it.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G