Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Drone is something I only deal with when giving 6th gear throttle... which, let's face it, is a normal part of highway driving. So that's a bit of a compromise right there.
Just use 5th, problem solved.

In observance of Earth Day, I'm doing all my highway driving today in 4th gear
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
Daddy Fat Sacs (04-23-2015), twin_snails (04-24-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

And while everyone has their own interpretation of what is or isn't rasp, I'm pretty confident in saying there is none. Big pipes + two sets of resonators =no rasp. So there's that.
Interesting but twin has the exact same setup as you with rasp. Maybe it does come on after time?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Interesting but twin has the exact same setup as you with rasp. Maybe it does come on after time?
Not quite. Twin has FI's resonated cats, and his pipes are 2.5"... but he configured them without resonators, whereas I had them build it with 18" resonators. Mine is closer to Choman's... who has the same cats and in-line 18" resonators, but with 2.25" pipes. And his car is tuned.

We're all close, but no two are identical. However, I will forever yield to your ears over mine. If you drive my car and say, "That right there, you hear that, John? That's rasp." - then I'll totally believe you. But only because I'm half deaf and you're an OCD freak about pin-pointing not-right noises.

It's a gift, man.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-22-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Man all this gear talk is really making want to find a sedan 6mt !!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:11 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Not quite. Twin has FI's resonated cats, and his pipes are 2.5"... but he configured them without resonators, whereas I had them build it with 18" resonators. Mine is closer to Choman's... who has the same cats and in-line 18" resonators, but with 2.25" pipes. And his car is tuned.

We're all close, but no two are identical. However, I will forever yield to your ears over mine. If you drive my car and say, "That right there, you hear that, John? That's rasp." - then I'll totally believe you. But only because I'm half deaf and you're an OCD freak about pin-pointing not-right noises.

It's a gift, man.
I believe he has 12 inch resonated pipes so close, but not exact. I believe Choman says he has rasp as well. Sorry to hear about your ear but I guess in this case it's a blessing rather than a curse. If possible next time you have a free moment record yourself getting on it. I'll do the same and then we can see if it's just inherent with FI altogether.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your ear but I guess in this case it's a blessing rather than a curse.
No worries about the ear. It is what it is, it's part of who I am, and life moves on. Makes sleeping at night real easy... just roll over on my good ear and lights out.

I believe he has 12 inch resonated pipes
Nope. Not according to his sig-line. Ah, here we are:

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I have no resonators besides the ones on the cats. Cold starts are insanely deep and loud.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-25-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:22 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Seems like it sounds good pretty good - quiet when idling and has a little oomph when accelerating. I did hear a slight decel rasp in the first video, but I did not hear it when accelerating. A WOT video would be great to see/hear and discern!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Rochester, do you or anyone else have a side shot of the exhaust? Maybe with the camera about the same level as the tips. I'd like to see how far they protrude. The stock tips aren't out far enough for me. I'd like them even or slightly past the cutout in the bumper. My stock ones are a good 2 inches shy of the lip on the cutout. And I'm assuming there's no adjustments in the system to play with that position??
Old 04-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Knightjs
Rochester, do you or anyone else have a side shot of the exhaust? Maybe with the camera about the same level as the tips. I'd like to see how far they protrude. The stock tips aren't out far enough for me. I'd like them even or slightly past the cutout in the bumper. My stock ones are a good 2 inches shy of the lip on the cutout. And I'm assuming there's no adjustments in the system to play with that position??
You can't change the OEM tip length... they might look like clamp-ons, but they aren't. They're welded on solid.

I was worried about protruding too far with these tips from FI, but I think they're the perfect length. I'll take pics tomorrow for you. If I forget, PM me. All along, I kept saying I might replace them at some point, but honestly... now that I have the exhaust, I'm super impressed with how they look. I think they're great.

Keepers.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Crazy to think how long it took you to decide and pull the trigger on an exhaust but my hat goes off to you for searching and researching every little thing about a product before installing. After I got on this site and read a bunch of your posts....I catch myself analyzing things ALOT before pulling the trigger on them.

Love the look of the FI and sound.....makes me want to try my hand at HFC's again
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Crazy to think how long it took you to decide and pull the trigger on an exhaust but my hat goes off to you for searching and researching every little thing about a product before installing. After I got on this site and read a bunch of your posts....I catch myself analyzing things ALOT before pulling the trigger on them.

Love the look of the FI and sound.....makes me want to try my hand at HFC's again
Thank you. That was nice.

The original plan was rear gears before catback, but I had to have some noise. And you're right... I started researching even before buying the car. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have purchased exactly the car I wanted to mod. Three years later, I'm still on-track with plans and enjoying it immensely.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Knightjs
Here you go.

The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Here you go.
A picture is worth a 1000 words - the fitment is spot on.

This may be an odd observance but I like how each crease in the exhaust matches with a crease in the bumper, if that makes any sense at all. Such as the end of the muffler with the end of your vinyl diffuser. The beginning and end of the exhaust tip with the ends of the exhaust cutout. lol

It flows very well.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Yeah, mine looks the same. The FI fitment is pretty much top notch.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:44 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Not according to his sig-line.

No worries about the ear. It is what it is, and life moves on. Makes sleeping at night real easy.
Yes, that is correct. I have no resonators besides the ones on the cats. Cold starts are insanely deep and loud. I took it to get inspected a few weeks ago and the guy doing the inspection loved the sound.

+1 on the Eagle One Never Dull stuff. Cleaned mine earlier this week after not doing it since the fall, except for washes. Brings them back to brand new looking.

Here you go.

Props for a nice pic of the fitment to the bumper. I never got down to view mine from that angle and now I know what it looks like.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G