Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

SOUND

These are 2.5” pipes, with 18” resonators matched to FI’s resonated HFC’s. The sound is deep, and loud, but inside the car it’s really nice. At idle and at speed, you can *barely* tell the exhaust has changed. Of course, once you blip the throttle… then it’s obvious. However, there’s zero rasp. It’s a very modulated sound.

The only time there’s drone is when you gently throttle the higher gears. Like if you want to slowly accelerate while in sixth gear. It sounds much better to shift down to fifth in those situations.

The absolute best is from a standing start, under strong load and rowing through the gears around 4500. That sound is absolutely intoxicating. WOT to redline just seems noisy.

FOLLOW-UP
I’m going to need some more seat time in the car.
I can't tell if you're happy with it or not
Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I can't tell if you're happy with it or not
Worth. Every. Penny. Total emotional boner.

How's that?
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Here's another video from this morning. Not exactly a showcase for the exhaust, but man those Vossens look awesome on a slow roll.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Here's another video from this morning. Not exactly a showcase for the exhaust, but man those Vossens look awesome on a slow roll.
Yes..........they........do
Thanks for the detailed write up, glad you're on cloud 9.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Go back to 27 seconds on your vid John. Audible hiss on decel after he revs it. Then when the other mechanic gets in the car and revs before hes about to take off, audible hiss. Now for the fun part. Go to a parking garage and drive in 1st or second gear and keep your rpms fluttering from 1.5 to 2.5k. The hiss is so loud its actually funny. If for some reason you can't hear then it just let it be and enjoy it. Also, you probably have rasp on hard acceleration but maybe not. Twin Snails and I (who have a similar setup) are trying to see if it's a Fast Intentions problem or if it is on our end.

Either way though, it's still fun to have so enjoy.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Go back to 27 seconds on your vid John. Audible hiss on decel after he revs it. Then when the other mechanic gets in the car and revs before hes about to take off, audible hiss. Now for the fun part. Go to a parking garage and drive in 1st or second gear and keep your rpms fluttering from 1.5 to 2.5k. The hiss is so loud its actually funny. If for some reason you can't hear then it just let it be and enjoy it. Also, you probably have rasp on hard acceleration but maybe not. Twin Snails and I (who have a similar setup) are trying to see if it's a Fast Intentions problem or if it is on our end.

I have the hiss too, most audible in 3rd or 2nd gear letting it wind down in the lower RPMs as you mentioned. I think anyone with the full FI exhaust will to be honest.

Rasp also under hard acceleration. I'm thinking it's normal at this point...

BTW John - got my car re-tuned after the installation of the Takeda CAI and loving the results. Will post my dyno results soon.

Last edited by Choman; 04-21-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:02 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I actually like the hiss from my FI exhaust. It's a nice little bonus for me, sounds like a poor man's BOV. By no means it sounds "cheap" like a leak.

Regarding the OEM crossmember, I would just take it off and call it a day. Mine was fine at the beginning, but after driving for a couple weeks it started rubbing against the x-pipe.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37

Wait... that whooshing noise on decel? That?

I don't have a parking garage I can get to without paying, but I'm curious, so I'll be keeping an open mind and ear. In full disclosure, I'm 100% deaf in my left ear, so I don't always hear the same things everyone else does. My entire world is monophonic.

Originally Posted by Choman
BTW John - got my car re-tuned after the installation of the Takeda CAI and loving the results. Will post my dyno results soon.
It's been my plan all along to enjoy the R2C setup for a number of years, then switch over to either the Stillen Gen3 or the Takeda before getting the car tuned. Each time I review those plans, I keep deciding on the Takeda over Stillen.

Still a couple of years out, though.

Originally Posted by antirice
Regarding the OEM crossmember, I would just take it off and call it a day. Mine was fine at the beginning, but after driving for a couple weeks it started rubbing against the x-pipe.
No, I don't think I'll be doing that. If anything, if fitment becomes a problem here, then I'll have my mechanic customize a solution. That's a HUGE channel there down the middle of the car. As small as that support bar looks, I suspect it goes a long way to reducing body flex. So it's a keeper, one way or another.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Looks good! Still planning on keeping the cans unpainted? I was tempted to paint mine when I had my GTHaus, but I grew to like the polished cans look. I'd recommend Eagle One Never Dull to polish the tips and cans, worked really well for me.

Hows the clearance getting in and out of your driveway?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Looks good! Still planning on keeping the cans unpainted? I was tempted to paint mine when I had my GTHaus, but I grew to like the polished cans look. I'd recommend Eagle One Never Dull to polish the tips and cans, worked really well for me.
Absolutely. I like the cans shiny.

Eagle One Never Dull, eh? Bookmarked. Although I've been pretty happy with Maguiar's Metal Polish over the last few years.

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Hows the clearance getting in and out of your driveway?
No problems. Same ridiculous, awkward dance as before.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Absolutely. I like the cans shiny.

Eagle One Never Dull, eh? Bookmarked. Although I've been pretty happy with Maguiar's Metal Polish over the last few years.
Never hurts to have options. I picked up a can at Autozone, or Advanced Auto Parts, one of those chain automotive stores. Here is a before and after of the tips.

Name:  20141122_170043.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  173.5 KB

Name:  20141122_172919.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  121.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-24-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 11:32 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
The Nevr Dull is great when you go a while without cleaning the tips and get that tough soot. But if you are cleaning often, something less abrasive would work, which is what you have already.

Exhaust looks great, can't wait for the Vossen hubcap aligned exhaust pics LOL
Old 04-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Drove around this afternoon... man, this exhaust isn't subtle at all under load. I'm actually driving really slow today. It's nuts, but the exhaust makes it sound like I'm some bat out of hell, when all I'm doing is running 2nd gear up to 40 mph like a normal person.

And that's just normal driving. It's going to be while before new normal comes around.

[edit]

Welp, that didn't take long. I'm feeling pretty used to the exhaust now, and driving normally.

6th gear is kind of droney when you use the throttle in 6th, but is OK otherwise when just cruising.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-22-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Exhaust Looks sooo good. as does the fog rings too!
Any regrets about having the 18" resonators ? or is it loud enough for you.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Any regrets about having the 18" resonators ? or is it loud enough for you.
No regrets. Cabin noise is minimal. Drone is something I only deal with when giving 6th gear throttle... which, let's face it, is a normal part of highway driving. So that's a bit of a compromise right there. But otherwise, it's a great sound... particularly under load in the lower gears. And with the windows up, it all seems quite normal.

And while everyone has their own interpretation of what is or isn't rasp, I'm pretty confident in saying there is none. Big pipes + two sets of resonators =no rasp. So there's that.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G