Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Maybe I'm just trying to scam a free TPMS, because I'm funny that way.

Could be.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Nope, good customer service is where it's at. Especially after a $3000 purchase.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sigh. I hope everything comes out alright on your end Rochester.

Regardless of how large of a purchase you have made, faulty/defective products should not be taken lightly. Adding into the picture of how expensive your wheels are just creates an obscene image on their part.

I'm planning on jumping the gun on wheels soon...now I'm scared hahaha =[
Old 04-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by pdpMIATA
Sigh. I hope everything comes out alright on your end Rochester.

Regardless of how large of a purchase you have made, faulty/defective products should not be taken lightly. Adding into the picture of how expensive your wheels are just creates an obscene image on their part.

I'm planning on jumping the gun on wheels soon...now I'm scared hahaha =[
Replacement TPMS arrived today. I've an appointment Thursday with a local shop that specializes in custom rims for the dismount, replacement, and balance. It's going to be at least $35 for that, plus BS. Then I'll contact N4S for return shipping and refund on the faulty TPMS... assuming everything is as I've been led to believe it is. If for whatever reason this shop gets the current TPMS to register, then I just spent $42 on a new one for nothing. We'll see.

In other news, today I received shipment tracking for the Swift Springs I ordered seven days ago from N4S. So that's going on, too. But at least they're on their way.

Wheels... I sure hope installation of these Swift Springs cambers in these wheels and makes me happy somehow, because right now I'm decidedly unhappy. The rear poke is embarrassing. I feel like an idiot when I look at it.

[edit] I don't *always* feel like an idiot. Most perspectives on the wheels are actually very appealing. Beautiful, in fact. There's just that particular moment, when the poke is staring me right in the face, that I get conflicted.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-08-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
We're always hardest on our own cars I think?

If it helps as of right now I'll have a naked engine bay, ratty old BBK and my SES light may still be on.... But I got me some air fresheners!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Got out the Bathroom Scale

Some miscellaneous info on these wheels & tires:

OEM 18" staggered Duckfeet with Bridgestone Blizzaks:
51.0 pounds front, 52.5 pounds rear.

Vossen 19" staggered CVT with Michelin Pilot Super Sports:
52.5 pounds front, 56.5 pounds rear.

So the fronts gained 1.5 pounds, and the rears gained a full 4.0 pounds. Granted, there are other considerations. For example, the rears are now 10" wide instead of 8.5", and the PSS are a light performance tire compared to Blizzaks. Also, the OEM lug nuts are hella heavy. Seriously, they're like chunks of lead compared to the McGards. Anyway, those are the only comparison statistics that I have available, so there it is.

Kind of interesting. And admittedly, expectedly heavier. Oh well.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
^^^

Hard to believe that there's 200+ lbs tied up in our wheels isn't it? You've made reference to duckfeet and I've been trying to figure out what that is but can't for the life of me...lol.

My 19's were slightly heavier as well but I mitigated that by switching to Racing Brake 2-pc rotors all the way around. Minus 8 lbs for each front and 4 for the rear. Love them so far.

If you want to go crazy with reducing weight, take a look at these forged aluminum lug nuts. I ran them with no problems and they weigh about as much as a large marshmallow.

https://www.getnrg.com/products/exte...uts/700-series

Last edited by twin_snails; 04-08-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
^^^

Hard to believe that there's 200+ lbs tied up in our wheels isn't it? You've made reference to duckfeet and I've been trying to figure out what that is but can't for the life of me...lol.

My 19's were slightly heavier as well but I mitigated that by switching to Racing Brake 2-pc rotors all the way around. Minus 8 lbs for each front and 4 for the rear. Love them so far.

If you want to go crazy with reducing weight, take a look at these forged aluminum lug nuts. I ran them with no problems and they weigh about as much as a large marshmallow.

https://www.getnrg.com/products/exte...uts/700-series
Duckfeet is on reference to the OEM S 18s look like the webbed duck foot at the spokes
Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Ha! Thanks Brad! Those are the wheels I'm running right now. Sometimes things are so obvious that they elude me.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Cleaning these VOSSENS

Given the reluctance for winter to end, and that I only recently installed the VOSSENS, today was actually the first time I washed the car with the new wheels on it. And guess what? This deep lip design is a total PITA to wash. The spokes are easy peasy, but the lip... nope.

IDK why I thought it would be otherwise, but I did. Imagine my surprise at how well the deeply recessed lip retains dirt and crap. And then how awkward it is to clean it up.

(sigh)

Last edited by Rochester; 04-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

TPMS Problem Status Update

1. The VOSSENS were delivered with TPMS adapters programmed for the G37 Sedan, and mounted inside the rims.
  2. The day after putting the wheels on the car, the TPMS light became lit and has stayed lit for weeks.
  3. I went to a generic tire shop, and they were unable to wand the right-rear sensor, telling me it was faulty.
  4. So I bought a new sensor from N4S, rather unpleasantly, too. N4S customer service was, um, lacking.
  5. Today I went to a speed shop that specializes in custom rims, and they were able to successfully reset the right-rear sensor, before even bothering to dismount the tire and install the new one.
  6. And now the light is off.

Did I just waste $43 on a new sensor? IDK. I need miles and time before I decide this problem has been fixed.

On the up-side, after the springs get installed, I now know where I'm going for an alignment next week.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
  1. The VOSSENS were delivered with TPMS adapters programmed for the G37 Sedan, and mounted inside the rims.
  2. The day after putting the wheels on the car, the TPMS light became lit and has stayed lit for weeks.
  3. I went to a generic tire shop, and they were unable to wand the right-rear sensor, telling me it was faulty.
  4. So I bought a new sensor from N4S, rather unpleasantly, too. N4S customer service was, um, lacking.
  5. Today I went to a speed shop that specializes in custom rims, and they were able to successfully reset the right-rear sensor, before even bothering to dismount the tire and install the new one.
  6. And now the light is off.

Did I just waste $43 on a new sensor? IDK. I need miles and time before I decide this problem has been fixed.

On the up-side, after the springs get installed, I now know where I'm going for an alignment next week.
I hear those TPMS sensors are the perfect size & weight for a paperweight. so you have that
Nice to hear about the good shop, sometimes rare these days
Old 04-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Springs Update

Still waiting on Springs... Attempt #2 to be delivered next week.
  1. Ordered Swift Springs from Need4Speed.com.
  2. 7 days after charging my credit card, the Springs actually shipped. Seriously.
  3. 7 more days after shipping Ground Service out of CA, they arrived.
  4. They were the wrong springs.
  5. 4 days later , they emailed me a return shipment label.
  6. In the correspondence, I discovered they were going to ship me the wrong springs. Again.
  7. 3 days later , they shipped the correct springs (Or so I'm hoping).
  8. Still waiting on delivery... another 7 days of ground shipping out of CA to NY.

As for Need4Speed during all this:
  • N4S disavowed responsibility, putting it all on their wholesale distributor.
  • After dissing the distributor, they put me in direct contact with the distributor for return shipment, which was very awkward to say the least.
  • N4S refused to ship anything other than Ground Shipment. Period. Flat out refused.
  • N4S refused to ship out the new springs until the wrong ones were back at UPS... yet wouldn't get me that return shipment voucher until days later. Again, blaming the distributor.

While this was going on, another member here on the forum ordered Swift Springs from N4S, and their order got screwed up as well. By following the tracking number I received during return shipment, it seems N4S simply redirected my return to this other Forum Member... without any verification on the return order.

Regarding N4S customer service and professionalism... make your own judgments. I'm just laying out the facts here.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-18-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

While waiting on Swift Springs and subsequent installation... here's the car all de-wintered and prep'd for a coming car meet.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Nice shots John, looking forward to your new stance too!

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G