The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-05-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 10:26 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
add one of these to your toolkit:
Amazon Amazon

(edited, since that looks spammy) - it's a magnetic retrieval tool.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Undertray Bolts

For whatever reason, my car came from the factory with one of those engine bay undertrays that had no access panel for the oil change. That meant for about 8 years, every time I changed my oil, the entire damn tray had to get removed. Aside from being a PITA, after a few years I noticed the undertray bolts were getting really corroded. To combat that problem, every time I changed the oil I would soak the bolts in penetrating oil. And that worked well enough to keep them OK until the next time around.

Then four years ago I replaced that old plastic tray with a nice, two-piece unit from TBW. And at the time I bought all new bolt hardware, because why not? The bolt kit is very inexpensive.

Since then, it's been a rare occasion to remove the entire tray. But removal or not, these new bolts are corroded now too. So I've been thinking of replacing them with stainless steel.

The OEM bolts are M6 dog-point hex heads with a loose washer. I was thinking of using something like this. I like the serrated flange design:
Amazon Amazon

And today I was thinking about using dress-up fender washers, but worry about them shaking loose. If it weren't for that, it would look pretty damn cool (to no one but me and the occasional mechanic).

Anybody have an opinion?
Old 08-17-2024, 08:50 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

As little stressed as the undertray is and as many bolts as there are I’d consider nylon bolts. Maybe 1 steel each side for mental security.
Old 08-17-2024, 10:06 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
I replaced all my bolts with zinc coated ones, and still got them corroding with the nasty winter salt
Old 08-19-2024, 03:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

After running this idea around in my head for a bit, now I'm thinking of M6 stainless steel, serrated flange head hex bolts, with nylon washers. The serrated flange heads should grab well enough against the nylon washers so that I can torque them down and not worry about them backing off. And the nylon washers would dampen resonance. And neither would corrode.

I mean, not-an-engineer, but this is making more sense the more I consider it.
Old 08-19-2024, 04:05 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I wonder if I can still get dzus quarter-turn connectors from Aircraft Spruce...
Old 08-27-2024, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rochester
After running this idea around in my head for a bit, now I'm thinking of M6 stainless steel, serrated flange head hex bolts, with nylon washers. The serrated flange heads should grab well enough against the nylon washers so that I can torque them down and not worry about them backing off. And the nylon washers would dampen resonance. And neither would corrode.

I mean, not-an-engineer, but this is making more sense the more I consider it.
Can't seem to shake this idea, so this morning I ordered a bag of black, 18mm diameter, nylon washers with a M6 inner diameter, and a bag of stainless steel, 16mm M6 hex head, serrated flange bolts.

We'll see how it works out.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:10 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Can't seem to shake this idea, so this morning I ordered a bag of black, 18mm diameter, nylon washers with a M6 inner diameter, and a bag of stainless steel, 16mm M6 hex head, serrated flange bolts.

This will work just as you think it will.

Not much that could go wrong in this scenario other than over-torqueing the bolt, wearing the slot by using an used hex bit or attempt to remove a bolt with dirt inside of the hex.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:33 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
For whatever reason, my car came from the factory with one of those engine bay undertrays that had no access panel for the oil change. That meant for about 8 years, every time I changed my oil, the entire damn tray had to get removed. Aside from being a PITA, after a few years I noticed the undertray bolts were getting really corroded. To combat that problem, every time I changed the oil I would soak the bolts in penetrating oil. And that worked well enough to keep them OK until the next time around.

Then four years ago I replaced that old plastic tray with a nice, two-piece unit from TBW. And at the time I bought all new bolt hardware, because why not? The bolt kit is very inexpensive.

Since then, it's been a rare occasion to remove the entire tray. But removal or not, these new bolts are corroded now too. So I've been thinking of replacing them with stainless steel.

The OEM bolts are M6 dog-point hex heads with a loose washer. I was thinking of using something like this. I like the serrated flange design: https://www.amazon.com/Flanged-Hexag...G7L/ref=sr_1_6

And today I was thinking about using dress-up fender washers, but worry about them shaking loose. If it weren't for that, it would look pretty damn cool (to no one but me and the occasional mechanic).

Anybody have an opinion?
My shroud looks to be falling apart after the last oil change I did at Infiniti. There are a few rips around the bolts causing it to sag. Any reason you went with the TBW over the Z1? I'm sure you explained it before but it's hard to go back and find it.
Old 08-28-2024, 01:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
My shroud looks to be falling apart after the last oil change I did at Infiniti. There are a few rips around the bolts causing it to sag. Any reason you went with the TBW over the Z1? I'm sure you explained it before but it's hard to go back and find it.
No reason I can recall in choosing the TBW over Z1.

It was 4 years ago now, and like you at the time my OEM under shroud was in sad shape. Something had ripped it bad once... I think it was the one and only one time it was pulled up on a flat bed. Anyway, I had it all stitched together with zip ties like some kind of Frankenstein project.
Old 08-28-2024, 02:47 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I compared TBW, ZSpeed and Z1 when I needed one, @RobC7. Features are essentially the same so I went on price. Haven't been displeased with the ZSpeed.
Old 08-28-2024, 02:49 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
No reason I can recall in choosing the TBW over Z1.

It was 4 years ago now, and like you at the time my OEM under shroud was in sad shape. Something had ripped it bad once... I think it was the one and only one time it was pulled up on a flat bed. Anyway, I had it all stitched together with zip ties like some kind of Frankenstein project.
Glad to see I'm not the only one in the zip tie gang. I'm not in a hurry but I plan on getting the TBW or Z1 around black friday to save some $$.
Old 08-28-2024, 02:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
Glad to see I'm not the only one in the zip tie gang. I'm not in a hurry but I plan on getting the TBW or Z1 around black friday to save some $$.
It's only $200. https://www.tbwperformance.com/g37/

And the Z1 is $169. IDK about shipping.

I hear you about Black Friday. It's a regular thing for Z1 Motorsports. I saved hundreds on my rotors back when.
Old 08-29-2024, 12:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Amazon sent me M6x30 stainless steel bolts, not M6x16. So they're a bit long, but I don't see why they still wouldn't work. The M6x18 OD nylon washers are correct.

I'll run the car up on ramps tomorrow and play with these.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-30-2024 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G