Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 07:45 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Temps are around 60°F today, which is downright balmy around here in mid-November. So today I took the opportunity to put my snows on the car. Staggered duckfeet, X-Ice on the rears, Blizzaks on the front, and 15mm spacers all around.

Oh man, I'm getting too old for this. Simple wheel swap (with spacers, LOL) just wipes me out these days. I mean, I've got the right tools... torque wrench, low profile floor jack, time on my hands . But the wheels are stored in the basement, and the whole thing is just a big chore.

Now that the front pass tire is off the car, I can diagnose the slow leak there, and I've got all winter to deal with it. Snow tires notwithstanding, it will be good to not have to deal with that anymore.

On the negative side of all this, (other than straining my back & shoulders), I've got 4-5 months of seeing the TPMS light, but this time because the sensors aren't paired up, not because the pressure is off spec. Not that there's any way for me to know the diff in any moment except to actually check pressure. I really wish I had a car that reported actual tire pressure numbers unique for each corner. That would be lovely.
Could give something like this a try (or one of the comparable below; this one is a bit chunky...). You are correct though, definitely helps to have that info available in the dash options.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-18-2021, 07:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by ngolbuff
Are the spacers really required for your winter setup? If not, aren't you just making more work for yourself? (I am only trying to save you the strain on your back that you reference and also a few minutes per wheel)
They aren't necessary, that's true. But lowered with neg camber, the duckfeet look really silly tucked. With 15mm spacers they actually look great. It's really strange how 15mm so successfully address the problem. But you're correct, it's only a problem in my head.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Could give something like this a try (or one of the comparable below; this one is a bit chunky...). You are correct though, definitely helps to have that info available in the dash options.

https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Wi...10007351&psc=1
That's fascinating, never knew this was a thing. It wouldn't work on my Vossens because of the deep inner lip and the placement of the valve stem, but it should work just fine on the duckfeet for Winter... just look kind of silly.

Researching this some more, there are similar concept sensors that screw into the valve stems and use a Bluetooth signal to an app on your phone.

Amazon Amazon

Also, what do you know about various "relearn tool" options? I think this is something that became relatively affordable in recent years, or at least the last 10 years. If I can drop $30 to relearn my sensors each Fall and Spring, that works for me. It still won't let me know which tire is bad, but it's something. I've got TPM sensors in all 8 wheels. (Although the duckfeet sensors are almost 11 years old. )

Last edited by Rochester; 11-18-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

This unit looks like it will work well for the duckfeet and winter months:
Amazon Amazon

Seems the biggest complaint about these things is that when the pressure is actually low on a tire, you have to get out this little wrench in order to remove the sensor caps. Hmm.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:52 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

That's fascinating, never knew this was a thing. It wouldn't work on my Vossens because of the deep inner lip and the placement of the valve stem, but it should work just fine on the duckfeet for Winter... just look kind of silly.

Researching this some more, there are similar concept sensors that screw into the valve stems and use a Bluetooth signal to an app on your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/ZHIHAOO-Monit...9CT8RS7M&psc=1

Also, what do you know about various "relearn tool" options? I think this is something that became relatively affordable in recent years, or at least the last 10 years. If I can drop $30 to relearn my sensors each Fall and Spring, that works for me. It still won't let me know which tire is bad, but it's something. I've got TPM sensors in all 8 wheels. (Although the duckfeet sensors are almost 11 years old. )
You can give this a try:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-for-free.html

video:

Old 11-18-2021, 11:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Wow! I wonder if my 2011 Infiniti will work the same way as that 2007 or 2008 Maxima? I wouldn't be surprised if it did. This genuinely interests me as another option. Some assumptions... access to that single-wire clip, and TMPS batteries with life still in them after 10 years.

You're chock full of all kinds of good ideas this morning, RMB5190.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Since I'll be buying two new 3-season rear tires in March (sticking with Conti Extreme Sport... good price, good performance, and held up really well), I should probably and proactively get two new TPMS sensors for the rears as well, to be installed when swapping the tires. Just made note of that. The sensors in those Vossens are 8 years old now. The sensors in the front Vossens are also 8 years old, but the tires are absolutely fine, so I'll just make note in my records and deal with it in the next couple years.

However, the sensors in the duckfeet are originals, so figure at least 11 years old. That's really pushing it for TPMS batteries. So I could try your re-learn trick, no harm no foul. I could also buy external pressure sensors, like you first suggested.

Good discussion, Rob. Thanks!

Last edited by Rochester; 11-18-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:28 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Wow! I wonder if my 2011 Infiniti will work the same way as that 2007 or 2008 Maxima? I wouldn't be surprised if it did. This genuinely interests me as another option. Some assumptions... access to that single-wire clip, and TMPS batteries with life still in them after 10 years.

You're chock full of all kinds of good ideas this morning, RMB5190.
The walkthrough in the link was the same process as the Maxima (Sentra?) in the video so assuming it works

Surprise even myself sometimes ....
Old 11-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
MotorvateDIY has produced an excellent video describing how to determine the pressure of individual tires using OBD Fusion.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Turns out that single-wire harness and paper-clip trick only works for older Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. Not sure when things changed, but the 2011 does *NOT* have that relearn harness connector. You might be asking, "Did you get under the dash and start removing electrical tape around the OBDC harness?" Frustrated to say, yes. Yes I did. You know, I was genuinely excited to learn this technique and apply it twice a year, wishing I had done it years ago. Well, that was a bust.

So given that my four original TPMS in the duckfeet are at least 10 years old, odds are really high that one or more or all of them are dead anyway. Maybe for winter, if I want to keep an eye on tire pressure at a glance without having to check pressure regularly, maybe I'll buy a set of those external sensors.

As for my Vossens next Spring, I'm getting 2 new TPMS at the same time as the new rear tires, so I guess I'll have to ask the shop pair those up for me.

(sigh) All filled with purpose and a plan this morning, accomplishing nothing.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-21-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

However, are these really "winter mats"? I'm feeling like they can be, but they would also suffer for it.

You know what? I'm not even going to experiment with the idea of using these in the winter. Swapped out my 3D MaxPider floor mats for the OEM winter mats this morning.

So... winter mats, winter shift ****, winter wheels & snow tires. And I connect the battery to a trickle charger, because sometimes it can go weeks without being driven in the winter.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (12-27-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 09:16 PM
Cjandura
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Turns out that single-wire harness and paper-clip trick only works for older Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. Not sure when things changed, but the 2011 does *NOT* have that relearn harness connector. You might be asking, "Did you get under the dash and start removing electrical tape around the OBDC harness?" Frustrated to say, yes. Yes I did. You know, I was genuinely excited to learn this technique and apply it twice a year, wishing I had done it years ago. Well, that was a bust.

So given that my four original TPMS in the duckfeet are at least 10 years old, odds are really high that one or more or all of them are dead anyway. Maybe for winter, if I want to keep an eye on tire pressure at a glance without having to check pressure regularly, maybe I'll buy a set of those external sensors.

As for my Vossens next Spring, I'm getting 2 new TPMS at the same time as the new rear tires, so I guess I'll have to ask the shop pair those up for me.

(sigh) All filled with purpose and a plan this morning, accomplishing nothing.
Hey Old Friend, its there i have a '11 also and the wire was closer to the steering column base look for a lump in the taped up harnesses.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:35 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
So... winter mats, winter shift ****, winter wheels & snow tires. And I connect the battery to a trickle charger, because sometimes it can go weeks without being driven in the winter.
Used to have some nice Blizzak tires, but no longer have the use case for winter wheels/tires (if we do get snow, I can get by running errands on foot until the streets clear up).

I now swap my front grilles for the winter since my mesh one isn’t as durable as the OEM one. Believe yours is professionally painted, maybe you can find a spare OEM one to take the hit during the winter? Imagine all that road grime after snowfall poses a risk to chipping those painted surfaces.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:06 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Long time, no talk. How are things?

My OE floor mats need to be replaced before I ruin the carpet. Where’d you find OE mats?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Long time, no talk. How are things?

My OE floor mats need to be replaced before I ruin the carpet. Where’d you find OE mats?
Welcome back.

I don't use OEM cloth mats. But I do use the OEM rubber mats in the winter. They came with the car 11 years ago.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G