Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Might want to swap early this year and get the new tires over the winter - last thing you want is a sidewall blowout on the road.
That's kind of extreme. I'm going to scope it out first. Still got a lot of tread on the front tires. Rears, however... I'll be buying a new pair of 3-season rears over the winter for sure.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:06 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
You could always find the leak and get a tire plug kit. Not hard to do correctly if you read the instructions.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

After the tune back in May, I started thinking "next mod", and had settled on a long-tube intake. Possibly even the Z1 carbon fiber long tube intake. Here I am looking at Black Friday a month away, and for whatever reason, I'm just not feeling it. Gains would be incremental at best, optimized with a re-tune, but still probably meh. So that's a pass on ditching my R2C intake setup. I might feel differently at some point in the future, but this morning I found myself dwelling on the mod, and decided against it.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:47 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

It is a bunch of money for minimal gains over any CAI system, for sure.

I pawed over the carbon replacement tubes (for if you already had a z1 intake) last weekend and while very nice, not $320 nice. Also not that much lighter than an aluminum tube, since the MAF mounting block is still metal.

I think your best gains going forward is to improve the nut behind the wheel, IE driver training. Find an autocross class, HPDE class, do more autocrosses, etc. to learn how to eke out more at the edge of traction.

The upper manifold swap I don't think is a 'gain' per se as a shift of torque peak. Perhaps a legit ported one not just the Motordyne replacement style, but... there isn't a whole lot of restriction there. I mean, with the upper off you can see the backs of your valves.

I think if you need more 'go' at this point, start saving the pennies for a forced induction kit.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I think if you need more 'go' at this point, start saving the pennies for a forced induction kit.
I definitely don't need or want any more "go". The car is a joy to drive right now, something that really became obvious at last month's autocross.

At this point in my family's priorities, I'm keeping the G until the girls are through college. Or at least mostly through college, or unless something horrible happens to the car. And I really don't have any plans over the next 3 years, except maybe to sock away some money for next car.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:15 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
I think you're "done" now. You've changed the platform to suit you as much as is possible. Not much to do now but maintain and enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Epiphany:
BigSpoon (10-27-2021), Rochester (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:39 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
After the tune back in May, I started thinking "next mod", and had settled on a long-tube intake. Possibly even the Z1 carbon fiber long tube intake. Here I am looking at Black Friday a month away, and for whatever reason, I'm just not feeling it. Gains would be incremental at best, optimized with a re-tune, but still probably meh. So that's a pass on ditching my R2C intake setup. I might feel differently at some point in the future, but this morning I found myself dwelling on the mod, and decided against it.
You should try to get some stock airboxes and test with them to see if there is any difference outside of sound I do think that these will perform better than the R2C but not the most aesthetically pleasing ones.
I modded my OEM airboxes to accept a 3.8 inch tube towards the front grill and this gave me the sound and performance that I wanted which is why I stayed with them.

I agree with some driver training but proceed with caution, every time you go you will want to try to get faster and faster then you'll start coming up with great modding ideas
Old 10-20-2021, 10:18 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

If you want to moderate the insanity stick to autocross. If you do HPDEs after 2 or 3 you'll be thinking about how to sell the track car idea to your wife.

//Mine likes the idea but not the budget...
Old 10-20-2021, 12:03 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
If you want to moderate the insanity stick to autocross. If you do HPDEs after 2 or 3 you'll be thinking about how to sell the track car idea to your wife.

//Mine likes the idea but not the budget...
Can confirm. I’m constantly looking looking for a “cheap” track car. Currently a well maintained 350z to beat on without feeling bad about ruining the G since it’s a nice example. But that likely means selling the G, as I have no need/wife approval for two cars that basically sit in the garage.

But HPDE is just soo much fun that I can’t see myself personally going to Autocross again.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-25-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:03 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

What @2.2Lude said. Once I'd tasted track days... Autocross is a lot of work and time for a total of 6 minutes of track time LOL.

I'm keeping my eye open for a beat 350 or something... but, a friend tracks a mid 90s Civic with just the bare mods - stripped, cage, proper wheels and tires and brakes, and has a hell of a good time with it. Motor was a Honda crate motor with a warranty LOL.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:30 PM
VibrantSedan13
Registered Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
The intakes do look really good behind the grille. I have the Admin intakes but recently swapped out the filters to black. Before it looked like a clown nose before
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I definitely don't need or want any more "go". The car is a joy to drive right now, something that really became obvious at last month's autocross.

At this point in my family's priorities, I'm keeping the G until the girls are through college. Or at least mostly through college, or unless something horrible happens to the car. And I really don't have any plans over the next 3 years, except maybe to sock away some money for next car.
My vote would be to start socking away your extra cash to help save up for a down-payment on your next car. Without having a car payment and not spending much money on car mods I was able to put away around $10K a year over the past 5 - 6 years, which I used a good portion of as a down-payment on the Vette. This made the new car a much easier sell to my wife.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:08 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Beat up 350z will be the new 240sx, Hell even G35s . A couple of folks including myself are making wiring swap kits to make them the perfect NA car.

At 330whp average the V36 body just needs a diet, something a swap can entertain. One of these days I'll convince 2.2 lude to swap a VHR into is S2000
Old 10-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

TBW Tray and the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve - One Year Later

In September 2020 (last year), I installed the TBW undercarriage tray, and the Fumoto Oil Drain valve. Fast forward to October 2021 and my annual oil change. I say annual, because I only put 3000 miles on the car in the last 13 months, and I change the oil once a year, or 6000 miles, whichever comes first. For the family car, that's twice a year. For the G, that's once a year.

So, this is actually the first time I eyeballed the TBW tray since I installed it, and it looks 100%. No dents, scratches, blistered or peeling paint, no nothing. Very solid, very cool. Two screws to open the oil access panel, instead of 20 screws and clips to undo the entire OEM plastic panel. You gotta love that. (And in case anyone is wondering WTF I'm talking about, there were actually two different OEM undercarriage panels, one with an access door and one without. Can't explain why that is, but mine had no access panel.)

Anyway, this is also my very first time doing an oil change with the Fumoto Drain valve. OMG, that was effortless. Zero fuss, zero mess, and a steady manageable stream of oil that isn't the typical gusher you experience directly from the pan.

A year later, and both of these things seem like solid decisions.

[edit]

Add to that yet another Huzzah! about buying Race Ramps some years ago. Love those things!

Last edited by Rochester; 11-03-2021 at 12:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
2GoRNot2G (10-26-2021), ngolbuff (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 07:37 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Based on your info, I did my own research and found I liked both items more than others that I compared to. I have the same TBW undercarriage (silver so I can hopefully spot if I am leaking fluids easier than the black tray), and the Fumoto oil drain valve. Those two in conjunction with each other are amazing. My car is daily driver and I change oil multiple times per year so it is nice to continually experience the ease of changing oil (the way oil should be changed, easy...not 20 screws as you stated).

The only oil change gripe I might have is not related to the Fumoto valve or the undertray...it is the oil filter placement. It is not bad (I have had worse on previous vehicles), but it spills all over the front sway bar no matter how careful a guy is.

Lastly, my undertray has seen a few more miles than yours and I would like to say it has probably saved my engine department a bit. Last oil change, I see a large dent (unknown when it happened as my wife sometimes drives the car). The tray handled it well and I would like to think that whatever dented this tray, would have torn/ripped off the plastic tray. A TBW undertray is a must if anyone is looking to protect the underside of their car AND have immensely easy oil changes
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G