Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 10:48 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Definitely worth the price! If you compare it to something like an exhaust that is $1,000-1,500, or RHFC that is $650... those two products just affect a single aspect of your car, whereas the tune makes sure all of it's running parameters are dialed in and will help with the longevity of your engine, and improve a whole host of variables such as throttle response, fuel delivery, timing, etc. It's like insurance in a way!
Old 05-10-2021, 02:14 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
That initial cost is a bit rough! I was able to benefit when moving to the Z, by saving on the initial $516!
Old 05-10-2021, 02:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
That initial cost is a bit rough! I was able to benefit when moving to the Z, by saving on the initial $516!
Meaning... you had the kit already from tuning your G? Which makes sense. But I thought the license was specifically tied to the cable and the car. So how did you not have to buy another license for the Z? I didn't know it was transferable.

Hey Roger. Hope all is well. I started talking about this tuning project over here in this thread, if you're curious: https://www.myg37.com/forums/ecu-tun...e-project.html
Old 05-10-2021, 02:55 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Meaning... you had the kit already from tuning your G? Which makes sense. But I thought the license was specifically tied to the cable and the car. So how did you not have to buy another license for the Z? I didn't know it was transferable.

Hey Roger. Hope all is well. I started talking about this tuning project over here in this thread, if you're curious: https://www.myg37.com/forums/ecu-tun...e-project.html
Exactly John!! I'd even offered my kit to another member at one point to save them on having to incur the cost of the kit. I believe there's a license transfer fee, but it's minimal.

I'm surviving!! Thanks for asking! Sorry I haven't been in the forum much. Trust me, it's not due to the Z!! I'm almost never on that forum either. Work has me pinned down!
Old 05-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
I believe there's a license transfer fee, but it's minimal.
Ah, there it is. You can transfer the license for a small fee. I get it.

So if someday (crazy thought) I decide I want a 400Z, one of the rationales is that I can transfer my EcuTek hardware and license.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:14 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Ah, there it is. You can transfer the license for a small fee. I get it.

So if someday (crazy thought) I decide I want a 400Z, one of the rationales is that I can transfer my EcuTek hardware and license.
There is a good chance the 400z will be running much newer hardware/software and will be encrypted to the point where it will take years before we have a tuning solution.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
There is a good chance the 400z will be running much newer hardware/software and will be encrypted to the point where it will take years before we have a tuning solution.
Could be. Was it that way with the Q50 after they ditched the 3.7 NA for the turbo?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:25 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Could be. Was it that way with the Q50 after they ditched the 3.7 NA for the turbo?
It wasn't but now with all of the regulations and security requirements it is becoming harder to open up the ECU. It will be interesting to see what Nissan uses from the parts bin and what is new for the Z platform.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:37 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
Very possible scenario!
Old 05-11-2021, 08:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

First custom tune applied, time to shamelessly update my sig, LOL

I have no idea now many cycles we'll go through (datalog, tune, datalog, tune, etc.), but it's started, and it's very exciting. Over in the tune thread, it got me thinking about getting dyno'd this summer. That could be fun, having the graph and the numbers. I think I'll put that on my list of plans.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-11-2021 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ShuuraRG (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:15 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Usually doesn't take too long for a remote/e-mail session (4-6 is avg. I've seen/read about to dial everything in). Nice thing about doing it the way you are, drivability should be spot on vs. some who go with a dyno tune. Car does great at WOT, pulling to 7200 RPM but start up is garbage, and idle surges on a 25-50% throttle when cruising if it wasn't addressed during the dyno session.

Now that I've started researching for the Mustang, I stumbled on some videos by a tuner with Lund Racing and he seems to believe dyno tunes are great for 'race' cars but if you want a good driving/day to day ride then remote/e-mail tuning is more advantageous.
The following 3 users liked this post by RMB5190:
Rochester (05-11-2021), rotarymike (05-11-2021), ShuuraRG (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 05:03 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Usually doesn't take too long for a remote/e-mail session (4-6 is avg. I've seen/read about to dial everything in). Nice thing about doing it the way you are, drivability should be spot on vs. some who go with a dyno tune. Car does great at WOT, pulling to 7200 RPM but start up is garbage, and idle surges on a 25-50% throttle when cruising if it wasn't addressed during the dyno session.

Now that I've started researching for the Mustang, I stumbled on some videos by a tuner with Lund Racing and he seems to believe dyno tunes are great for 'race' cars but if you want a good driving/day to day ride then remote/e-mail tuning is more advantageous.
This!!!

I love the fact that the data is logged in real-world driving, as such, the tune is not based on a manufactured best-case scenario the dyno represents.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm done with my remote tune project. Final comments here in this post:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/ecu-tun...ml#post4295453
Old 05-17-2021, 03:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

With that remote tune project behind me, I'm looking at my plans and seeing... well, nothing really. It's weird not having anything big to look forward to as I approach 10 years with this car.

I could budget out a parts & labor project for an aftermarket clutch and lightweight flywheel (and HD CSC). But honestly, I'm not unhappy with my clutch, as far as I know. And that can be a somewhat large project, with a big leap of faith that I'd enjoy having a new clutch, and enjoy driving with a LW flywheel. So I'm disinclined to pursue it unless it's part of a repair. (Hi, Mike )

My driver seat leather is getting worn, and I'd like to have that repaired. Last time I went down this path, I was looking at a minimum $600, so that's a good chunk of change. Probably do that next year.

I might go with a long-tube intake, but honestly I'm disinclined to do that as well. I'm good with my old R2C kit.

I could explore getting new wheels, but I still really, really love my Vossens. So new wheels feels kind of gratuitous.

(sigh) This kind of malaise is what happens when you get to the end of reasonable mods.

Suggestions?
Old 05-17-2021, 03:45 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I'm about to put up some pics of the old parts out of my car, and with the exception of both ends of the hydraulic system, the clutch and flywheel look perfectly fine at 65K miles. I don't appreciably notice the clutch upgrade, and since I don't drag race or often hard-launch the car, this one should last the rest of my ownership. The lightweight flywheel has yet to make a glaring difference, good or bad.

So... time to *enjoy* the car, rather than enjoying the modding. Go places with it - go to events, autocross it, take a HPDE track day or a skidpad day to learn what it will really do. My wife and I used to do road rallies (basically driving scavenger hunt/riddle events) a lot pre-child and they're a lot of fun at legal speeds.

You built a good, solid street rod. Go out and enjoy it (as weather, finances, and health allows).

https://www.scca.com/pages/what-is-roadrally
https://www.scca.com/events?categori...602&within=100

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G