Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 05:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's been almost a month since I drove the car. And although it never got over 20°F today, the sun was out and the pavement was clear. So with the ostensibly high priority of burning through this full tank of 91 octane ( ) before getting tuned for 93 this Spring, I went on a long, off-highway romp for the last hour or so. Almost went through a 1/4 tank, but not quite.

After not driving it for a month, then getting on it with somewhat reckless launches on back roads, I'm reminded why this car impresses me so much. Even with snow tires, OMG this car can haul! It's loud, and obnoxious, but it's also luxurious and rewarding. The perfect sweet spot for a great driving experience. I love the way it's set up with current modifications.

I think the only thing that gives me pause is the poly transmission mount. I think I'm getting tired of it.
I know what you mean about driving your car for the 1st time in a while. I'm always amazed at how dialed in my car feels compared to anything else if I have not driven it for an extended period of time.

What part of the trans mount is tiring you? Too much vibration? You didn't get the solid mount did you? I thought we both had the urethane bushing from Z1. It's funny how the added NVH actually compliments the sound of my Stillen exhaust somehow. Difficult to explain, but it actually enhances it. I would be hard pressed to give up the lack of slop in shifting without the trans mount, but then again, maybe the motor mounts and rear differential brace I believe we both have will make up the difference. You will have to let me know what changes you notice if you go back to stock.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
We do both have the same poly mount from Z1. And for years now (years? LOL) it's been totally fine. I get all the reasons why I like it. But there's one thing that just gnaws at me. When letting off the throttle there's a common (albeit infrequent) resonance frequency which I can't stand. It manifests both as a noise and a vibration, and it's not good. I mean, the problem is somewhat rare, but when it happens I find myself instinctively playing with the throttle in order to make it go away. Anyway, I'm starting to wish it just stop happening entirely.

If I go back to stock, I will most certainly reflect (no pun) on the changes. Pretty sure the original mount is in the attic somewhere. Or I could buy a new one... IDK. Labor costs are barely an hour up on the lift, so that's not really a consideration.

I could probably sell the poly mount for half cost on the forum pretty easily. It was only $200, IIRC.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:23 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

We do both have the same poly mount from Z1. And for years now (years? LOL) it's been totally fine. I get all the reasons why I like it. But there's one thing that just gnaws at me. When letting off the throttle there's a common (albeit infrequent) resonance frequency which I can't stand. It manifests both as a noise and a vibration, and it's not good. I mean, the problem is somewhat rare, but when it happens I find myself instinctively playing with the throttle in order to make it go away. Anyway, I'm starting to wish it just stop happening entirely.

If I go back to stock, I will most certainly reflect (no pun) on the changes. Pretty sure the original mount is in the attic somewhere. Or I could buy a new one... IDK. Labor costs are barely an hour up on the lift, so that's not really a consideration.

I could probably sell the poly mount for half cost on the forum pretty easily. It was only $200, IIRC.
Are you sure it is not from the rear gears? I get that in my car if I ease up on the gas and decelerate at just the right speed. I don't get anything like that emanating from the transmission mount.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Are you sure it is not from the rear gears? I get that in my car if I ease up on the gas and decelerate at just the right speed. I don't get anything like that emanating from the transmission mount.
I'm positive. The rear gear upgrade was years later.

It started immediately after the transmission mount install. It's very Infrequent, like I said, so I just deal with it when it occurs, but that's when it started... with the poly transmission mount.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I'm positive. The rear gear upgrade was years later.

It started immediately after the transmission mount install. It's very Infrequent, like I said, so I just deal with it when it occurs, but that's when it started... with the poly transmission mount.
Weird. Do you occasionally get the same thing with the rear gears that I was talking about?
Old 02-09-2021, 12:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Weird. Do you occasionally get the same thing with the rear gears that I was talking about?
No, although the two situations seem similar, don't they? I mean, the right answer is to stop with all these poly bushings and bracing and stuff, to get back to an all-the-time comfortable car. One without vibrations and weird freaking noises like this. But then that wouldn't be any fun. And the fun outweighs the occasional criticisms.

I don't know, man. There might come a time when I go back to OEM for the transmission mount because de-modding something simple like this kind of feels like a modification after all these years. That might seem messed up, but whatever.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No, although the two situations seem similar, don't they? I mean, the right answer is to stop with all these poly bushings and bracing and stuff, to get back to an all-the-time comfortable car. One without vibrations and weird freaking noises like this. But then that wouldn't be any fun. And the fun outweighs the occasional criticisms.

I don't know, man. There might come a time when I go back to OEM for the transmission mount because de-modding something simple like this kind of feels like a modification after all these years. That might seem messed up, but whatever.
Makes perfect sense to me. It is that fine balance between good performance, but not so much that you have to sacrifice too much driveability. It's funny how that scale shifts as you get older toward comfort. I am really starting to dig cars with massaging seats.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:20 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
It is very, very hard to make a proper GT car/street rod. There are so many aspects that have to be carefully balanced, and the manufacturers also have to deal with fuel economy, emissions, crash testing, and of course the trap of the niche market.

Making a stupidly fast car is easy, if you don't care about the rest of the journey.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

OBD flat cable extension

In January, I bought the EcuTek ProEcu Kit. In March, I bought the EcuTek license from AdminTuning. And in May, I will be getting the car remote tuned.

And that's all gravy, but when data logging, the wired cable in this kit would be a total PITA to drive with. Note the pic here, and derp... it looks like I need new winter matts.

However, 2.2Lude suggested I get a cable extension, which I did. Should make things much less awkward.

Only $10 through Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
hexotic (04-04-2021), ShuuraRG (05-10-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I didn't even know that a cable extension existed. Nice! I plugged that damn cable in so many times to get my Z1 tune just right with Jon and I was always really careful with my left foot/leg since they clearly did not engineer that cable to be used while driving. Unfortunate since that is about the only time you use it. Nice solution you found there.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (03-08-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 07:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

April in Western NY... I'm feeling like I want to get my summer wheels & tires back on the car. Every year since 2014, which would be seven years now, the Vossens come off the car for Winter, and back on in the Spring. Winter off the car gives me the opportunity to do a detailed cleaning, clay bar and wax. And seven years later they still look as good as the day I bought them.

More importantly to me, I still love these wheels. While not inexpensive, there are vastly more expensive wheels out there. And while not really heavy, there are certainly lighter wheels to be had. But there's something about this elegant, sweeping 10-spoke design that still speaks to me all these years later. It's a good feeling being entirely content with something.

So I took another basement pic.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:45 AM
Cjandura
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Rochester you purchased Wheels thats a new one for you.Those are a nice looking set.i picked these up for my G last summer hope they are a good look for the car.
Attached Thumbnails Rochester's new G-photo909.jpg   Rochester's new G-photo79.jpg  
ShuuraRG (05-10-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

April in Western NY... I'm feeling like I want to get my summer wheels & tires back on the car. Every year since 2014, which would be seven years now, the Vossens come off the car for Winter, and back on in the Spring. Winter off the car gives me the opportunity to do a detailed cleaning, clay bar and wax. And seven years later they still look as good as the day I bought them.

More importantly to me, I still love these wheels. While not inexpensive, there are vastly more expensive wheels out there. And while not really heavy, there are certainly lighter wheels to be had. But there's something about this elegant, sweeping 10-spoke design that still speaks to me all these years later. It's a good feeling being entirely content with something.

So I took another basement pic.

You clay bar your wheels? Now that is dedication. I cannot say I have ever gone to that extent, but I did just put Ceramic Auto Armor on my Jeep rims to make them easier to keep clean, so I am really only one step away from that. Then again, they are anthracite so they should do an excellent job of hiding any brake dust.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You clay bar your wheels? Now that is dedication.
Yes.

What started me down this road was about 20 years ago, when I bought into using this product called Wheel Wax. It was an easy application compound allegedly designed to deal with rail dust. I was using it on my factory wheels for my old Maxima, as well as the wife's car. Years later, I just started using paste wax instead, or whatever product I was using at the time. But for the last decade I started including claybar to the process, and it's really made all the difference. The wheels look and feel new, and they clean up very easily.

For the last couple of years, I've been using products called "Seal & Squeal" and "Gloss Sauce", from Lithium Auto Care. https://lithiumautocare.com/

It's kind of pricey, but I'm a fan. Still am.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Remote Tune

I'm at the beginning process of getting remotely tuned, having hired a tuner, loaded the license, done some data-logging, and now waiting on the first custom file.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the question of how much this is costing me. Here's the answer.

A used EcuTek ProECU Kit, wired, for $216.
An EcuTek license, for $300.
Tuner services for $400, plus another $12 for purchase protection through PayPal.
A flat OBD cable, because the wired dongle is a PITA to drive around with. That was $10.
A DC to AC converter for the cig lighter because my old laptop battery sucks. That was $18.

All told so far... $956.

ShuuraRG (05-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G