Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:59 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I don't think so. I mean, I can rationalize SKYLINE because it was a SKYLINE in the Japanese market. And I can rationalize the custom Infiniti badge, because it is an Infiniti. But I can't do that GT, that crosses the line for me.

Years ago, at a Canadian meet-up, I saw a Coupe where the lower driver's side door had a whole collection of decals all lined up... all performance brands. Except this guy had them all recreated in the same color gray, and likely sized similarly too. Being the same color and all, that was a pretty good look. Not saying I'm going to do that (not at all), but I'd be lying if the idea didn't catch my interest back then.
Crazy thought, but if you wanted to be semi subtle about it would be to get them done up in dark grey and have them along the bottom of the back window.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:43 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
OR! Or - you could get them cut in slightly tinted (like 5%) clear. Or clear matte. It would look like a shadow - on white or white pearl that would look amazing. (on black, just looks dirty. Not sure other dark colors).

Or hey, maybe I've had too much whiskey in my caffeine this morning. It's surely possible...
Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
While I appreciate the look of a subtle, same color array of raceme logos, it's not going to happen. Same with the FI flame logo.

Now I regret bringing it up, LOL.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:25 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Why? It's a good intellectual exercise and clarified why you *don't* want to do something.

I'm with you. As much as a tiiiiiny part of me wants track outlines on the rear window and logos along the rocker it will not happen. At least Not On This Car. Maybe if I build a track RX7 - which is getting to be less and less of a possibility given parts availability.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Why? It's a good intellectual exercise and clarified why you *don't* want to do something.

I'm with you. As much as a tiiiiiny part of me wants track outlines on the rear window and logos along the rocker it will not happen. At least Not On This Car. Maybe if I build a track RX7 - which is getting to be less and less of a possibility given parts availability.
Why? Well for the FI logo, as much as I can summon up good reasons why to do it, at the end of the day it's still a flame lick. There aren't enough episodes of Counting Cars to convince me I should put flames on my car, no matter how small or relevant.

As for the row of custom, same-as logos... I'd be lying if I didn't spend time (multiple times ), playing with the idea. But the choices, the maintenance, and the suburban hooligan that I'm way to old to be and never really was anyway. Nah. Too much.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:59 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Oh, I meant "why do you regret bringing it up".

I get the 'why I won't do _______ to my car' LOL

RE: flames - When I was building a show car FC3S I was considering painting it with silver pearl, with a shadow overlay of blue pearlizing flames and/or checkered flag across the body. IE, just the pearl flakes would have been different - wouldn't have been able to see it in anything other than full sun. Would have looked very cool - but show car only, WAY too much effort to keep it nice as a street car.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

BTW and FWIW and all that jazz... since shaking Winter off the car, I've been really appreciating it these last 5 or 6 weeks. It's running excellent. No quirks, squeaks, rattles, hiccups, or problems of any kind. The ride is solid, it looks amazing, everything is maintained and operating properly, and it just purrs. It's really a joy to drive. Very rewarding.

...which means I just jinxed it.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (06-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:52 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
LOL Thanks, Rob. Generally speaking, you're not wrong.
Haha, I saw you deleted your original statement.

Glad you are content with where you are with the car currently. The end of the road with modifications and the pursuit of having the car setup to your liking is often hard to get to.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
Haha, I saw you deleted your original statement.
Yeah. Sometimes it takes seeing a thing before you realize it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by RobC7
Glad you are content with where you are with the car currently. The end of the road with modifications and the pursuit of having the car setup to your liking is often hard to get to.
Thanks. Well said. (Still want a tune, dammit.)
Old 06-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

For as long as I can remember, there's been a small depression (ding) on both rear fenders. Neither is obvious, and one certainly less than the other, almost not even there, except that it is. But the way of these things is that once you see it, you can't un-see it. That means I've been living with them, and unsuccessfully ignoring their existence. So I drove to a PDR shop this morning for an estimate. Approximately $80 for one that he can push out, and $200 for the one that has to get pulled. $300 all together.

That's a downtown shop relatively close. He had a Lambo in his shop while I was there... pretty cool. There's another guy about 20 miles away, and I'm going to see if I can get an estimate from him too. I used this guy twice, 10 and 15 years ago, and he was great, so it might be worth the effort, and/or less expensive.

Think I might do it this summer.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-27-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Met with the PDR guy I used long ago, his quote was less. The shop is further away, but he's a trusted service, so I think I'm going to have him push out those dings next week.

Here's a pic of the worst one.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That's a sizable one in your rear fender, but they should have easy access to it through the door latch. Your post reminds me that I have a very small dent toward the bottom of my driver's door. I am 99% sure it was my service dept. just barely opening the door into one of the lift supports. Fortunately, they are paying to fix it.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:26 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I need to save some mod money for PDR too. I've got a few that bother me, unfortunately all on crease lines. Maybe I can get my wife to get some fixed on her CX5 too - there's a *really* annoying one right above the windshield.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That's a sizable one in your rear fender, but they should have easy access to it through the door latch.
Through the door latch? Are you sure about that? The first PDR guy was talking about pulling it with a glue-technique, and the second wants to remove the tail-light for access. It really doesn't look that bad on the driver side. I had to take a lot of pictures in order to find a couple which showed the ding properly. $250 cash for both next week. Looking forward to this now. Been putting it off for years. In fact, they've been there for as long as I can remember since buying the car. It's possible I bought it like that, and just never realized it.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
there's a *really* annoying one right above the windshield.
I have the same thing. About 1" in from the windshield, slightly off center. It's actually a sharp bit of damage, with a little crease in the deformity and a chip in the paint. (I make it sound way-y-y more worse than it actually is.) After getting these two shallow dings fixed, that spot on the roof would be the only other ding damage on the car.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-02-2020, 03:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Through the door latch? Are you sure about that? The first PDR guy was talking about pulling it with a glue-technique, and the second wants to remove the tail-light for access. It really doesn't look that bad on the driver side. I had to take a lot of pictures in order to find a couple which showed the ding properly. $250 cash for both next week. Looking forward to this now. Been putting it off for years. In fact, they've been there for as long as I can remember since buying the car. It's possible I bought it like that, and just never realized it
Yes, have you seen dent guys take out dents? It is pretty interesting. They have these long rods that they try to get behind body panels any way they can and work the metal from the inside most of the time. Then they usually tap from the outside very gently to finish up. Sometimes they try pulling the dent out with glue, but I always worry it will crack the paint. The guy who comes to our shop is a master, but I very seldom see him pull dents. I don't know what the requirement is to use that process.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G