Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Been sitting for a few days, and finally took it out again. Braking is really better than before, like much, much better. Now I know it replaces the original pads and rotors after 45k miles, so of course it's going to be better, but damn... braking is excellent now. The pedal is smooth, confident and silent. Looking forward to getting past Akebono's break-in rec.

The other thing I noticed today was a lot more subtle. Seems at hard launch the rear end is breaking loose more easily than I'm used to. There's only 5 lbs reduced on each rear rotor, but I swear the tires are squealing on throttle pressure earlier than I'm familiar with. It's a very minor adjustment, and will quickly become a new normal.

That said, I'd probably be equally enthusiastic about any new pads, and a simple OEM rotor replacement. I'm not claiming any regrets, but in hindsight I could have had perfectly fine all-new brakes *and* a tune for nearly the same money spent on this project.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-09-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:52 AM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Been sitting for a few days, and finally took it out again. Braking is really better than before, like much, much better. Now I know it replaces the original pads and rotors after 45k miles, so of course it's going to be better, but damn... braking is excellent now. The pedal is smooth, confident and silent. Looking forward to getting past Akebono's break-in rec.

The other thing I noticed today was a lot more subtle. Seems at hard launch the rear end is breaking loose more easily than I'm used to. There's only 5 lbs reduced on each rear rotor, but I swear the tires are squealing on throttle pressure earlier than I'm familiar with. It's a very minor adjustment, and will quickly become a new normal.

That said, I'd probably be equally enthusiastic about any new pads, and a simple OEM rotor replacement. I'm not claiming any regrets, but in hindsight I could have had perfectly fine all-new brakes *and* a tune for nearly the same money spent on this project.
10lbs of unsprung mass is a decent amount to take off. Do those two piece rotors still have a strip of rotor that does not make contact with the pad closer to the hat, tough to see since they're so new in the pics?
Old 05-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I don't know. Hit up 4DRZ about his front 2-piece Z1 rotors. I'm sure he can answer that.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I forgot to ask you about your e-brake. Do you notice any difference and does it still hold you ok on a hill? Did your installer have to adjust it at all?

My front rotors have a very small sliver of unused area inside and outside the pad contact area. I think Rochester will see the exact same wear because the pads should be the same profile, just a different compound from Akebono.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I forgot to ask you about your e-brake. Do you notice any difference and does it still hold you ok on a hill? Did your installer have to adjust it at all?

My front rotors have a very small sliver of unused area inside and outside the pad contact area. I think Rochester will see the exact same wear because the pads should be the same profile, just a different compound from Akebono.
I didn't talk to the shop about the P-brake, but certainly noticed the change afterwards.

The P-brake is much, much more secure. And the handle only pulls maybe half-way up as before. In all, it's a big improvement. I don't know what the mechanic did here, but I like it a lot more than the way it was.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:14 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I didn't talk to the shop about the P-brake, but certainly noticed the change afterwards.

The P-brake is much, much more secure. And the handle only pulls maybe half-way up as before. In all, it's a big improvement. I don't know what the mechanic did here, but I like it a lot more than the way it was.
Hmm... I wonder if they adjusted it. There were a number of complaints about it being too loose from other people. It didn't sound too bad to adjust though.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Hmm... I wonder if they adjusted it. There were a number of complaints about it being too loose from other people. It didn't sound too bad to adjust though.

My best guess is the technician adjusted the P-brake. Whatever happened, it's better and I'm happy. The overall braking I'm also extremely happy with. And while that's true, and I also love the looks of these rotors, I feel like I don't love them worth the extra $600 premium over standard blanks.

But what's done is done, and it's all good. I still need to take good pics, but I also need for the temps to climb out of the 40's.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:53 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts

My best guess is the technician adjusted the P-brake. Whatever happened, it's better and I'm happy. The overall braking I'm also extremely happy with. And while that's true, and I also love the looks of these rotors, I feel like I don't love them worth the extra $600 premium over standard blanks.

But what's done is done, and it's all good. I still need to take good pics, but I also need for the temps to climb out of the 40's.

I installed my rotors and calipers myself. So I also adjusted my P-Brake clearance. (Very simple operation!)
TBH I actually could not get the rear rotors on the hub until I loosened up the PB shoe position some. I set it so the rotors turned with just a wee-bit of drag. (It'll all be gone before the caliper pads brake-in).

As for the performance. I only have 100 miles of casual driving.
They feel like a fresh set of OEM as far as I can say. Buttery smooth and very confident.
I haven't done any spirited braking yet.

I do like the look...but they aren't as flashy as $1400 of kit would make me think.
Still, If I didn't get them when I did, I would have gotten them eventually.
It's just on my "Always wanted a set" parts list.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-12-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Just got back from an errand, and took a highway extension nearby which intersects with 4 tight little round-abouts. It's a fun romp, not one you'd want to take too fast because of the high curbs, but if you're alert and safe then you can push the car enough to get into the moment. Rev-match from 3rd down to 2nd as you approach the round-about, ride the curve just below where the tires would squeal, then power into the straight-away and rev out into 3rd gear again with a little chirp. Rinse & repeat every quarter mile.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2255...5447196,17.22z

Anyway, I came away from that with the distinct feeling of improved steering. Don't shoot me for using this word, but the steering is lighter. More than just that, it feels more stable, more planted in a sharp turn. It's really the first time since the brake upgrade that I drove the car like this, and was genuinely surprised by what I experienced.

It's got to be these lightweight front rotors... 10 lbs from each corner.

I wonder what it would be like if I did an auto-x event this year? I normally suck at those, but I suspect the way the car is configured today that it would shine. (If I can see which cones to stay between. My biggest problem, really, is recognizing the track.)

Last edited by Rochester; 05-13-2020 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bikezilla (05-14-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 04:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
J
Anyway, I came away from that with the distinct feeling of improved steering. Don't shoot me for using this word, but the steering is lighter. More than just that, it feels more stable, more planted in a sharp turn. It's really the first time since the brake upgrade that I drove the car like this, and was genuinely surprised by what I experienced.

That makes sense, and I observed the same change when I switched to lighter wheels--lighter steering and sharper turn in. One turn specifically, a dead end T with a sweeping double right turn onto a divided road was where the change really manifested.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Some quick and dirty garage pics.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-16-2020 at 05:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
bikezilla (05-20-2020), KungFooFireman (05-17-2020), STownSaint (06-02-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:17 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

When I upgraded to the Akebonos a few years ago I noticed IMMEDIATELY that the steering was much heavier and not as nimble. I'm looking forward to replacing my big heavies with these beauties. Between eventually installing these, Swift Springs, and rear sway bar, it's going to be a totally new handling car.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:21 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
The more I look, the more I want!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
The more I look, the more I want!
It isn't cheap. But then again, good money has probably been spent on lesser things.

Started this thread last year, if you want more details: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...rt-brakes.html
Old 05-22-2020, 08:07 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
I've made dumber "investments" haha.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G