Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
It does seem that way, especially in contrast to your normal enthusiasm about a new mod

What is the theory behind taking it easy for 500 miles? I've always done a half dozen or so hard brakes from 60-10 and been done with it.
These pads come pre-baked. Akebono recommends no active bed-in process like you just described. Just casual braking for 500 miles.

And yeah, I agree, my typical enthusiasm about new mods seems to be missing. Derp.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:07 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
These pads come pre-baked. Akebono recommends no active bed-in process like you just described. Just casual braking for 500 miles.

And yeah, I agree, my typical enthusiasm about new mods seems to be missing. Derp.
Just think of it as your C8 moment, hit 500 miles, whole new world opens up!
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:22 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
You won't really know until the first idiot makes you panic brake.

Then, you'll know.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Quick pic of the passenger rear. The sprinkle slot pattern is clearly visible behind the Vossens, but honestly the rotor bolts just aren't that obvious. In other words, it's not an immediate thing to realize these are two-piece rotors. Also, since the surface area in the rears is more narrow than the front, the slot pattern is tighter in the rear, and more appealing than the front. I never noticed that until just now.

rotarymike (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Quick pic of the passenger rear. The sprinkle slot pattern is clearly visible behind the Vossens, but honestly the rotor bolts just aren't that obvious. In other words, it's not an immediate thing to realize these are two-piece rotors. Also, since the surface area in the rears is more narrow than the front, the slot pattern is tighter in the rear, and more appealing than the front. I never noticed that until just now.

Sorry to hear that you don't notice much difference in terms of acceleration or handling due to the weight loss, but I kind of expected that. I barely noticed any difference at all in acceleration from the weight loss and I have a pretty in-tune "butt dyno." Maybe it is just because I am overtired from going back to work this week and it has been chaos, or maybe that picture is just too close up, but you have a lot going on there with the lines of the rotors and wheels going every which way. It just seems overly busy to me. Do you have any pics from further back? Maybe that would do it. At least the 2pc. part looks cool. Also, I am jealous that you have your summer tires on. My new tires should be here any day and I am anxious to test them out.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Sorry to hear that you don't notice much difference in terms of acceleration or handling due to the weight loss, but I kind of expected that. I barely noticed any difference at all in acceleration from the weight loss and I have a pretty in-tune "butt dyno." Maybe it is just because I am overtired from going back to work this week and it has been chaos, or maybe that picture is just too close up, but you have a lot going on there with the lines of the rotors and wheels going every which way. It just seems overly busy to me. Do you have any pics from further back? Maybe that would do it. At least the 2pc. part looks cool. Also, I am jealous that you have your summer tires on. My new tires should be here any day and I am anxious to test them out.
It was just first impressions from one spirited romp around the area, and that itself is after 5 months of snow tires on a car barely driven. I expect my opinion to improve, however I no longer expect much.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Maybe it is just because I am overtired from going back to work this week and it has been chaos, or maybe that picture is just too close up, but you have a lot going on there with the lines of the rotors and wheels going every which way. It just seems overly busy to me. Do you have any pics from further back? Maybe that would do it. At least the 2pc. part looks cool.
No worries. I was drawn to the sprinkle slot pattern specifically because it doesn't conflict with the directional nature of these 10-spokes. And honestly, I couldn't be happier with how they look, particularly the rears. I absolutely love the pattern. Yes, it's busy, but in a good way, IMO.

More pics will come soon.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-07-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:30 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Yes, it's busy, but in a good way, IMO.

More pics will come soon.
I agree, I feel like its just busy enough that it doesn't detract from the wheels but when you look past the wheels you are in for another treat.

Now if only the calipers had some color
Rochester (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by cmckenzie15
I agree, I feel like its just busy enough that it doesn't detract from the wheels but when you look past the wheels you are in for another treat.

Now if only the calipers had some color
Right. Agreed. I'm wanting a metallic orange, so I can go full-on Creamsicle.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:44 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Right. Agreed. I'm wanting a metallic orange, so I can go full-on Creamsicle.
We talking like GTR Burnt orange/copper or like a full on metallic orange.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by cmckenzie15
We talking like GTR Burnt orange/copper or like a full on metallic orange.
I think full on metallic orange. The GTR orange/copper looks more gold to me than orange. And I think I want orange.

I had my first car painted orange when I was 18. Actually, it was a GM color called Flame Red, in the mid-70's Vette. I don't think it was metallic, so that color, with some added flake.

Dude, I barely know what I'm talking about, and it may never happen anyway.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:56 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
You could just buy a Veloster Turbo. Those only seem to come in that color...
Old 05-07-2020, 08:39 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts

Looks Good Roch!

I finally got mine on, Flushed and bled. Driving it very casually for 500.
I'm loving the look. I've wanted 2P rotors forever.
Rochester (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 08:43 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Yes, OEM fluid.

I drove the car around this morning... familiar roads, highway on ramps and off ramps, some hard launches, while still being gentle on the brakes (because break-in period.) Honestly, I can't say that I can tell there's anything different with the car. Handling remains what it was (which is pretty amazing). Acceleration seems unchanged. Braking is really, really good, but like I said, gentle braking.

It's a little anti-climatic.

FWIW I just finished installing mine with the steel lines and I used Motul 5.1
Same pads as you're using too.
I have nothing to report on yet. I basically drove it 3 times. At the moment I don't notice any difference but I'm probably 12 miles into the break-in.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Coincidental events with similar parts. I'll be keeping an eye out for your opinions.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:26 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Coincidental events with similar parts. I'll be keeping an eye out for your opinions.
Similar for sure.
Also I posted some wheel shots I "what did you do for your coupe today" thread
Attached Thumbnails Rochester's new G-photo305.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G