ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
nice.. looks functional.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I'd just be concerned it's going to get nasty after oh, say one use.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'd just be concerned it's going to get nasty after oh, say one use.
LOL, maybe so. I mean, the pad is designed to be used exactly this way. And apparently it's a common thing, sold everywhere, marketed as "Pad material resists engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, brake cleaner, gear oil and other solvents."

But I'll believe it when I see it. Conventional wisdom says that I'm going to be hanging on to an oil-soaked pad forever and ever. And ever... hahaha.

So yeah, I've considered that, and plan on storing the pan somewhere other than where I keep the other one, because yucky.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-27-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I also bought an oil splash pad that I fitted into the bottom. That might have been overkill but maybe not.

Those are designed to be used on oil catch cans where the oil goes through them instead of just sitting there soaking into them. You will solve the problem of splashing, but will create a much bigger mess when you try to pour the oil out.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:42 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

LOL, maybe so. I mean, the pad is designed to be used exactly this way. And apparently it's a common thing, sold everywhere, marketed as "Pad material resists engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, brake cleaner, gear oil and other solvents."

But I'll believe it when I see it. Conventional wisdom says that I'm going to be hanging on to an oil-soaked pad forever and ever. And ever... hahaha.

So yeah, I've considered that, and plan on storing the pan somewhere other than where I keep the other one, because yucky.
I use old cookie sheets to sit the pan on
Old 04-28-2018, 07:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Those are designed to be used on oil catch cans where the oil goes through them instead of just sitting there soaking into them. You will solve the problem of splashing, but will create a much bigger mess when you try to pour the oil out.
Ah, right. In that case it's something better used for the top of my old pan. Guess I'll find out this afternoon. Going to change the oil on the Sentra today.

Hey, I'm not proud. If it's a fkd up, one-time solution, then I'm out $10 with a lesson learned. Or if it makes oil changes less of a mess, then it's a win.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:38 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I think that's a great idea john.
Rochester (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oil changes are hardly the stuff of legend, but changing the oil is all part of owning and caring for the car, and it's what I'm doing in the moment. Well, not specifically for the G this time, but I've got a new pan... and it's all car stuff.

Putting the little Sentra up on Race Ramps, locked down with my new wheel chocks, it looks kind of like silly overkill, but damn do those ramps give you a lot of clearance! Love these ramps.

What else... Oh, I know. The dealership that last changed the oil on this car just jammed on the wrong diameter copper crush washer, which was all torn up in the drain bolt threads. That kind of sucked, and took a while to pry loose. Oh, and the filter on the Sentra is *exactly* the same on one the G37. That was funny.

Anyway, on to the pan. First off, the open design worked out much better than the shallow top, hollow design. At least, in my opinion. And the pad worked perfectly. Not even a hint of splash. Probably not something necessary for the Sentra or the G, but certainly for the Subby.

Afterwards, during clean-up, the pan and the pad emptied nearly dry. IDK what kind of "oil resistant" plastic that pad is made of, but the oil literally drained out of it almost entirely. That was kind of weird, and unexpected from conventional wisdom.

So the pad is a keeper, and I'm just going to leave it in the pan, and store the pan out of sight under something, instead of on a shelf.
2GoRNot2G (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 02:25 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Those splash pads are great. I bought them after having an Exxon Valdez type accident in the garage. I haven’t had issues since
Old 04-29-2018, 08:42 AM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Lol my wife's last car was a Subaru. They have famously large drain plugs. I have a similar catch pan. The only thing I can recommend is bending up a coat hanger to drain the filter. Something like this. It ain't pretty but sure is useful. Okay I hope the pic get resized somehow cuz it looks huge on my phone.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Anyway, on to the pan. First off, the open design worked out much better than the shallow top, hollow design. At least, in my opinion. And the pad worked perfectly. Not even a hint of splash. Probably not something necessary for the Sentra or the G, but certainly for the Subby.

Afterwards, during clean-up, the pan and the pad emptied nearly dry. IDK what kind of "oil resistant" plastic that pad is made of, but the oil literally drained out of it almost entirely. That was kind of weird, and unexpected from conventional wisdom.

So the pad is a keeper, and I'm just going to leave it in the pan, and store the pan out of sight under something, instead of on a shelf.
Glad that worked out. How did you keep the pad from falling out when you poured out the oil?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Glad that worked out. How did you keep the pad from falling out when you poured out the oil?
Just never tipped it beyond upright when draining. Propped up the pan and let it drain into the jug for a while, and the pad was relatively oil free.

I hear ya... not really what I was expecting either, but figured $10 was a cheap experiment, and it seems to work really well. Honestly, it's overkill for the Nissan and the Infiniti, but it was the Subaru that made me want to eliminate splatter. The Subby's next OC will be in a couple months.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Actual G News... car gets a NYS Inspection this Friday, and another diagnosis for my rear suspension noise. I strongly suspect I'll be having the OEM rear dampers re-installed sometime after. Can't imaging what else it could be.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Had a NYS Inspection yesterday. Passed, at 37k miles, as it should have... aftermarket cats notwithstanding. The shop also spent a lot of time (I was there) reassessing their diagnosis on my rear suspension mystery noise.

The #1 takeaway is that everything is solid, functional and safe, so there's that. As to the noise, this time around the whole shop came to the conclusion that it was coming from the right rear damper. The inner seals have become squeaky, and that's that. Curiously, with really warm temps this last week, the noise has significantly reduced. That isn't was I was experiencing last year, but it seems the problem is evolving as it ages.

So with the lessened intensity, and the assurance that everything is firm and functional, my motivation to "fix" it is tamped down. I think later this year I'll have my original Tokico dampers swapped back in.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Do I recall correctly Tein already replaced one of the dampers?

Flipping back to the OE shocks would be a cheap and easy solution if it works.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G