Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Tags

For the first time since I was 18, I've got custom NY license plates coming my way. Don't know when... "please allow up to 6 weeks" LOL

I'm predisposed to obfuscate my tags when posting pics of the car, but this is a special consideration, so I figure I'll show them here in my Build Thread once, and that's it.

Go ahead and guess if you want, I'm not saying until they arrive.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Considered it many times.... $300 for custom plates in Ontario and I never pull the trigger
Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
For the first time since I was 18, I've got custom NY license plates coming my way. Don't know when... "please allow up to 6 weeks" LOL

I'm predisposed to obfuscate my tags when posting pics of the car, but this is a special consideration, so I figure I'll show them here in my Build Thread once, and that's it.

Please don't be "4DSC." I decided that is what I am going to have to change mine to if I ever get around to putting the "Skyline" badge on the trunk. The "4DR Z CAR" plates I have now would not make much sense with a Skyline badge. Or if you borrowed from my Z car idea, maybe you picked some variation of RchstrZ. But probably not as that is not creative enough for you.

By the way, your Infiniti Fuji and Skyline badge is growing on me. Now that I know that it was actually badged from the factory that way in some markets in Europe(?) I won't feel like a total poser. It might also not **** off all the skyline fans since it won't have a Nissan badge attached.

More importantly, it is easier since I would not have to remove the Infiniti badge from the trunk, figure out how to get a Nissan badge to fit the grille, track down a new steering wheel cover, and ditch my kick plates. I would probably still get the "skyline" kick plates and then just get the 370GT floor mats. But then, would I get the 370GT badge on the trunk? Hmm... I know you would say skip it since it is not symmetrical, but it would better explain the Skyline badge to us die hard gear heads.

I am also considering the gears you did too. No idea when I would get around too it, but considering it more and more. I think the upgrades I did really benefit me in the higher rev range so if the gearing helps out the bottom and midrange that should still help me. Until I get used to that amount of power and start saving up for a supercharger or turbo...

(Whoops, sorry I took up so much space in your thread)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Please don't be "4DSC." I decided that is what I am going to have to change mine to if I ever get around to putting the "Skyline" badge on the trunk. The "4DR Z CAR" plates I have now would not make much sense with a Skyline badge. Or if you borrowed from my Z car idea, maybe you picked some variation of RchstrZ. But probably not as that is not creative enough for you.
All good guesses. But swing & a miss. Come back in a month for the tag reveal.

Funny, but I don't find myself thinking about the trunk badge anymore. I notice it when approaching the car from behind, but it looks so OEM that it isn't registering with the same kind of impact that it originally did. When I do stop and think about it, it simply makes me content. Glad I went through with it.

As for the gears... I am 100% that this is the power mod you didn't know you wanted. So. Much. Win.

4DRZ, your skills will take you around the track... no argument from me there. But regardless of your e-tune, I will take you zero-2-sixty, guaranteed. Well, let's make that zero-2-fifty, LOL. (Interweb racing... come at me bro)

Last edited by Rochester; 05-17-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I posted this in another thread, so my apologies if anyone is reading it twice. I'm just looking for immediate advice. My car is at the shop getting the Whiteline differential bushing installed. But my mechanic just called and said what's causing the noise/issue is that the "hydro mount" is failing. He said he can replace the bushings that I brought in, but that it would not replace the failing/leaking hydro mount and that I would still have the same problem. The only way to fix that is to replace the entire rear subframe (per Infinity). $1,300.

This shop has been 100% honest with me on multiple cars up to this point, so I believe what he's saying. But it's going against everything that you guys have said about swapping out the differential bushings.

Is there a separate replacement for this "hydro mount" that he's talking about?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I already commented in another thread. You're OK.

Mechanic must not have realized he needs to cut out the fluid-filled main bushing. Infiniti doesn't replace that part, they simply replace the entire sub-frame with the OEM bushing already installed. That's your $1300, parts & labor.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

All good guesses. But swing & a miss. Come back in a month for the tag reveal.

Funny, but I don't find myself thinking about the trunk badge anymore. I notice it when approaching the car from behind, but it looks so OEM that it isn't registering with the same kind of impact that it originally did. When I do stop and think about it, it simply makes me content. Glad I went through with it.

As for the gears... I am 100% that this is the power mod you didn't know you wanted. So. Much. Win.

4DRZ, your skills will take you around the track... no argument from me there. But regardless of your e-tune, I will take you zero-2-sixty, guaranteed. Well, let's make that zero-2-fifty, LOL. (Interweb racing... come at me bro)

Oh no, does this mean you are getting Skyline for the plate since you don't notice it on the trunk anymore?

The gearing does sound tempting. 0-50 huh? I don't know. My car got a lot faster with the tune, intakes, and intake plenum. I also have some pretty sticky tires to help with the launch. I bet it would be close.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh no, does this mean you are getting Skyline for the plate since you don't notice it on the trunk anymore?
No, I would never have multiple branding from the same side of the car... caliper decals and center caps notwithstanding. The wheels are an isolated perspective, I think.

The gearing does sound tempting. 0-50 huh? I don't know. My car got a lot faster with the tune, intakes, and intake plenum. I also have some pretty sticky tires to help with the launch. I bet it would be close.
Oh it would certainly be close, and fun, no doubt. And I've also no doubt it would give you another opportunity to study my trunk badge in that 10th second moment. We could even swap cars, if you'd rather, so that you could win while losing, LOLOLOLOL

All jokes aside, 4DRZ, I really hope you do this gear swap. I'd love to read your comments on the project. I'll say this again, it's not an incremental mod. It's next level.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-18-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:28 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No, I would never have multiple branding from the same side of the car...
I figured as much.

Oh it would certainly be close, and fun, no doubt. And I've also no doubt it would give you another opportunity to study my trunk badge in that 10th second moment. We could even swap cars, if you'd rather, so that you could win while losing, LOLOLOLOL
Thems fightin' words boy! No problem, I just picked up a few things 1st for the event.

All jokes aside, 4DRZ, I really hope you do this gear swap. I'd love to read your comments on the project. I'll say this again, it's not an incremental mod. It's next level.
Ok, but if I ever do this I am going to have to call it the Rochester killer now.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm guessing:
ROCH G
G ROCH
J ROCH
Logically, there is only one conclusion
Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SomeName
I'm guessing:
ROCH G
G ROCH
J ROCH
No Roch in the tag. It's much more stealthy, actually. I suspect most people won't even realize it's a personalized plate.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
No Roch in the tag. It's much more stealthy, actually. I suspect most people won't even realize it's a personalized plate.
Only a select few will get it
But I won't tell
Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
SeanM93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SomeName
I'm guessing:
ROCH G
G ROCH
J ROCH
Logically, there is only one conclusion
It's the only plausible explanation.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Wifescar
bankloan
bnkownme
mtnest
Old 05-23-2017, 02:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Wifescar
bankloan
bnkownme
mtnest
Wifescar, mtnest... that's awesome.

The other two... Paid in Full a short while ago. Very happy about that.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G