Build Threads

New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 AM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
First priority is the gears. That alone would give me that 1.5 tenths, providing I have traction. (Which, so far, I do.)

A second wish is a one-piece driveshaft. I'm sure we can call the Driveshaft Shop to make a custom one.

Although the car is not hard on the driveline with the auto, once those gears go in the torque will increase notably. I don't think an aluminum one is smart.

The OEM carbon driveshafts from Nissan for the 370Z may be able to be extended or modified? Not sure just yet. ANYTHING is possible, if you spend the time and money. LOL!

My tuner (Mike Botti) also says there is plenty more power left if we go for a little HIGH octane.

Coop
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
FYI Coop, I have broken a rear axle launching at the track. Granted I am 6 MT, but it wasn't IMO a particularly violent launch (2500 RPM maybe?) and I was on street tires with far, far less torque than your monster is putting down. This was with a lightweight flywheel and a grabby Stage III clutch, but before the lightweight shaft and I don't have the 4.08 gears yet.

Again, it may very well have been due to lack of skill on the novice drag driver's part, but wanted to let you know that for me the axle was the weak link.

The 500' limp of shame down the track and subsequent wait for the tow truck to haul your wounded beast away so other drivers can get their runs in takes only a few minutes but seems to go on as long as the 24 hours of Le Mans.

I did get a (sarcastic) standing ovation from the crowd and a congrats from the Civic I had been lined up against who ran a 15.3.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I did get a (sarcastic) standing ovation from the crowd and a congrats from the Civic I had been lined up against who ran a 15.3.
Funniest thing I've heard on here in a while.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Funniest thing I've heard on here in a while.
It was pretty funny to all my friends who were in the stands watching too, but I can assure you I did not find it the least bit amusing at the time. Not at all. Looking back it now, I do.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM
SharpByCoop

BB: Got it. That said, your experiences and my successes illustrate why drag racing COMPLETELY favors an automatic trans nowadays. The new American Muscle Car scene thrives on autos.

You want violence from a manual? Go rewatch the opening vid in my Subaru on post #1. Jeezus K. Reist that's why I switched.

Jimmy went (3) 9.1's the week before with traction. This same outing he lined up and with less traction (cold track) and he snapped his performance axle like a carrot.

Slippage is more violent.

Coop
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 AM
SharpByCoop

G37 member w/5-speed auto and 4.08's = kosstick.

I've sent him a PM asking questions.

Coop
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM
SharpByCoop

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
G37 member w/5-speed auto and 4.08's = kosstick.

I've sent him a PM asking questions.

Coop
No response, and he hasn't logged in since June of 2012. Anybody have a phone or email?

Or has anyone else with a 5-spd auto done the 4.08 LSD conversion?

Thanks.

Jim
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 PM
G37Stampa

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From a couple of months ago....

Well, on Wed I learned Jimmy was renting the track Fri Dec 14 at Atco. Hmmmmm.

I just returned for a lonnnng drive there and back. Worth every mile.

Five runs: 11.39, 11.54, 11.13, 11.36, 11.13.

That's right: TWO 11.13's within an hour. All around 122-123mph.

Here's the first proof:

I have videos from within and from the outside. Conditions could NOT have been better for me. Cool crisp 50° air, good traction and having both Jimmy and his lead tech Kenny; watching, observing, making recommendations and supporting me. They told me what to do and I delivered.

(STAND on the throttle and then leave. Build up the boost! Don't short shift. Run it to 8000 rpm.) Best 60' times Ive ever had. Three times in the 1.6's. 17.5 lbs boost. 93 oct pump gas only.

Anyway, I'll compile the vids over the weekend. I lost a day at work, so tomorrow I'll be too busy.

Once we did the FIRST 11.13, they did what they could to see if we could knock 14 hundredths of of that, but it was already maxed with this combo. I know what it will take to go tens, when the time comes. Gears and a different torque converter.

VQ's making it happen!

Coop
Coop, congrats
You are getting wayyy too close to the tens.
I need to get my car to the track. Lol!
I've been dragging this way too long. I'm going shopping for a drag wheel and tire setup this week. That's it!!
Nun the less , great numbers!
Albert
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
First priority is the gears. That alone would give me that 1.5 tenths, providing I have traction. (Which, so far, I do.)

A second wish is a one-piece driveshaft. I'm sure we can call the Driveshaft Shop to make a custom one.

Although the car is not hard on the driveline with the auto, once those gears go in the torque will increase notably. I don't think an aluminum one is smart.

The OEM carbon driveshafts from Nissan for the 370Z may be able to be extended or modified? Not sure just yet. ANYTHING is possible, if you spend the time and money. LOL!

My tuner (Mike Botti) also says there is plenty more power left if we go for a little HIGH octane.

Coop
Coop, I've trashed a few driveshafts, but, usually with tall rear gears and sticky tires. Am I wrong in assuming you are anticipating adding better tires / traction with the lower gears and anticipate driveshaft stress as a result?
Given your MPH, you must have good 60' traction now especially for two wheel drive, and / or one hell of a mid-range. I bet that is one fun ride. I'm looking forward to seeing you in the 10's.
PS I know one old timer that had a 3MPG barely streetable 800HP 430CI MP/C in the early 70's that idled at 2,500. He had to pull the seats, hood, exhaust... to get a 10.99. You'll be doing 10's in a luxury six cylinder street coupe with A/C and a stereo. Amazing man!

Last edited by Boomer-Bob; 01-01-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Crap, at my age, I needed to shots at it. ;-)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM
SharpByCoop

Hey Bob: Thanks for the note. I already have a pretty wide set of rear drag radials, and I'm not scorching them. I feel they can take some more heat.

The car has INCREDIBLE midrange. Someone asked me why I'm going so slow up top; probably because of the 5-speed BIG drop in 4th gear and weight.

E.T. is where its at. I'm now extracting every hundredth out of 123mph.

I'd like a lighter driveshaft, but that's only if it's doable and strong. I haven't done anything but work on my website for this past week, so I've idled that process.

I drove it to visit some long-missed friend yesterday, and we went out for a putt.... We're chatting and he doesn't know what I've got inside. Like you know, it's got full luxury interior and music going, etc. Sleeper.

I downshift and stomp on it from 2nd-3rd: "HOLY @#$!" he yells. LOL!

Albert: I envy your location. Tracks open all year round.
The longer you delay this, the farther out in front I'll be.
I want videos. Nothing less. Get that junker going. North vs South.

That's smack talkin', right there.

Much respect from CT.

Coop
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I was just reading your first post for the fun of it and decided to quote the following

My goals are mid 400's whp and stealthy quiet. (This is not a drag vehicle, and the auto will limit it. But, it may see the track sometime.)
Two years later you break the record for the fastest G37 alive lol
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Coop I must say nice work my man.
All this time & still kicking *** & taking names.
Have admired your car for quite some time, wish mind would have been half as good.
Props for showing that the 5 at is no joke & gets the g moving.
Btw 4:08 should do nicely.
The evo I just got has A 4:16 rear gear ,I suspect why the car is so quick stock.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 PM
SharpByCoop

Update - 4.08's

Dredging this thread back to the top.

I've since managed to outfit the car with 4.08 gears. It took some work, and we learned a lot. Read about it here, if you want to do the same.

I'm loving the response with the gears, and there is still PLENTY of loading to spool it up properly. Midrange is wonderful. I'm .14" from a ten second pass and this just might be the ticket. No guarantees, though.

I'd love to get the crew at The Shop to go for an Atco track rental. I perform SO much better when I have calm advice instructing me from observing. We'll see.

Car is still running strong. I don't abuse it and I don't drive it enough. It's been a record year for high heat, so any track day plans have to wait until temps drop into the seventies or less. I'm away on a family vacation for ten days. Maybe Sep?

Thanks. Just a public service announcement.

Coop
The following users liked this post:
G37Sam (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Keep those PSA's coming man! Curious to see how your slicks will hold up with the 4.08 gear.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man Ill have to stop by this shop one day now im back in CT for good.

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT