Build Threads

New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Coop, I'm experiencing the same issue with my 1st as well, it shifts 1000 rpm later... But no issues at all with other gears. I have 7at GTM TT w/ increased line pressure. I don't even think my car's pushing that much power yet, as I'm still running stock exhaust.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another thing I've realized is that my exhaust gets covered with carbon deposit really fast, it's like I can never have a shiny exhaust anymore, the inside of the exhaust tip gets black after like 3 drives. I have the stock cats btw..
Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 AM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Update - Boost controller

So.... Not real happy with Electronic Boost Controllers as I write.

The guys could not get raised boost with the settings on the HKS EVC-S model, and neither could I. Any setting I/we tried maxed out at 14.7lbs.

I had gone to this model after the Blitz EBC ($400) went belly up on me over a year ago. (No ability to change settings in the controller. Circuit board problems.) Past warranty.

So we went to the HKS EVC-S (another $400 EBC). This is a model that cost less than their premier model, and they discontinued making it about 6 mos after it was released. Poor sales or poor design? Hmmmmm......

After I'd just gone to the track last week, the car went just as quick (11.7" et. = ONLY as quick) as when I first started my project, including the trans. But with lower compression and no ability to raise to the cylinder threshold with boost, it is safely running 500+ whp, but at 121 mph that's it. I spent a LOT of money to get back to Square One?

Sat afternoon I went to The Shop and discussed the situation with Jimmy (owner) and Mike (tuner). He went inside came out and installed a manual boost controller in three minutes, and he and Kenny (tech) went out for a quick spin. Returned 'high boost' save on the EBC = 17.5lbs boost. Ability to screw it in further, too.

So then I went out with Mikey, and he hooked up the electronic earphones (det cans) which we'd already installed the sensor onto the block under the manifolds, and I busted it through a few gears with him listening. NO knocking with 93oct and 17lbs boost. Good job on the tune, Mike. Boy, did it feel faster.

Uprev has no knock control, so this sensor and audible alert was their best choice for protection. I watched my AFR's; stayed in the low 11's and that was where they ought to be. That does not necessarily mean it's not detonating, hence the 'det cans' monitor.

So, at this point I have a $400 EBC which is acting as my boost gauge.

IF I was to return to an EBC, I see the eBoost controller has staged limits: RPM, Speed, or Gear. That's a usable function. Jimmy says it's complicated to install and program.

But, I'm not so sure I need any of that. My car leaves so soft (at the track) that it's not exploding the tires, and on the street, I simply can't floor it in 1st-2nd. Done. I did not feel a notable loss of response with the MBC, either. (They say the EBC will boost earlier.)

My point: I'm not sure I need anything more. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...

All this means that sometime before Dec will require yet another trip to Atco or somewhere. I'm not crazy about breaking anything, and it's running SO well, that I don't need to. (Hey, NO ONE is even close in times, so why do I need to at all?) Because, that's what I do. Been a drag racer for 40 years.

In the meantime it's crisp out. Beautiful driving!

Coop
Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Hey Coop glad, Jimmy and Mike figured it out and the 17.5 PSI must be crazy, Especially with it being like 60 out perfect driving weather,, BTW my car is on the way to them also/ Spoke to Jimmy today and ALL the issue I can not get fix..

BTW your post and Mr.Spezze's post helped me in this choice as I have to ship the car there and costing a pretty penny, :/ Thank you for all you post and reveiws of "The Shop" and Jimmy and Mike,

Thank you Mike
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM
timp
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Quote.."All this means that sometime before Dec will require yet another trip to Atco or somewhere. I'm not crazy about breaking anything, and it's running SO well, that I don't need to. (Hey, NO ONE is even close in times, so why do I need to at all?) Because, that's what I do. Been a drag racer for 40 years."

Coop

Awesome report and love the thread now if ANMVQ can get the bugs out hopefully your tuners can work things out for him.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
jdhorn88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice build
Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
SharpByCoop

Let me know when the car and/or you arrive. I know you will be impressed with The Shop and the attention you WILL get. He has a staff of really good techs, and Jimmy and his wife Lisa are 'on the money' with customer service.

Sounds good for you.

Yes, the car is SO crisp in this air. I stop coaching afternoons in early Nov, and will have time to explore a bit more.

Coop
Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Zydan
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I just went through and read all 26 pages of this thread, it was great to see everything come together.
Thank you for the time and effort you put in to keeping everyone updated.
Excited to see what's next!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Mr.Squeeze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to here the car is running well Coop

Did you dyno it on that 17.5 psi ?

Not sure how come your HKS couldnt go higher in boost I hit 19 psi on mine last time. I didnt use it because of all the backpressure I had with the restrictive exhaust I use to have.

In the spring I will battle you for fastest time
Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
SharpByCoop

I don't know what to tell you on the boost for the HKS. (you have the EVC-S?) 100% response, 100% percentage and 16lbs of 'Overboost' (OPT setting) only created 14lbs.

No dyno. The auto does not like it. Says Jimmy.

What are you waiting for? Spring is a zillion miles away. Get in the ring and fight like a man. Atco goes till Dec.....

Coop
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Mr.Squeeze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I don't know what to tell you on the boost for the HKS. (you have the EVC-S?) 100% response, 100% percentage and 16lbs of 'Overboost' (OPT setting) only created 14lbs.

No dyno. The auto does not like it. Says Jimmy.

What are you waiting for? Spring is a zillion miles away. Get in the ring and fight like a man. Atco goes till Dec.....

Coop

Lol I wave the white flag for now I hurt my diff @ Atco on street tires did terrible 12.2@127 was my best run. I dont even own a set of drag radials or smaller rims.

Yeah I have the HKS EVc S.

I am doing a bunch of other upgrades over the winter Diff quaife LSD rim's and a few other things. I am just going for a re tune next Friday Now that I have the fast intentions 3 inch exhaust.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
G37Stampa

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Squeeze
Lol I wave the white flag for now I hurt my diff @ Atco on street tires did terrible 12.2@127 was my best run. I dont even own a set of drag radials or smaller rims.

Yeah I have the HKS EVc S.

I am doing a bunch of other upgrades over the winter Diff quaife LSD rim's and a few other things. I am just going for a re tune next Friday Now that I have the fast intentions 3 inch exhaust.
Sorry to hear about the diff, but great mph though! that mph with a good 60ft should get you very close to the 10', If not in it .
Your making somewhere around 550 whp on that pass.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 PM
SharpByCoop

Lightbulb Because, that's what I do. Been a drag racer for 40 years.

From a couple of months ago....

After I'd just gone to the track last week, the car went just as quick (11.7" et. = ONLY as quick) as when I first started my project, including the trans. But with lower compression and no ability to raise to the cylinder threshold with boost, it is safely running 500+ whp, but at 121 mph that's it. I spent a LOT of money to get back to Square One?

Sat afternoon I went to The Shop and discussed the situation with Jimmy (owner) and Mike (tuner). He went inside came out and installed a manual boost controller in three minutes, and he and Kenny (tech) went out for a quick spin. Returned 'high boost' save on the EBC = 17.5lbs boost. Ability to screw it in further, too.

##### More stuff....

All this means that sometime before Dec will require yet another trip to Atco or somewhere. I'm not crazy about breaking anything, and it's running SO well, that I don't need to. (Hey, NO ONE is even close in times, so why do I need to at all?) Because, that's what I do. Been a drag racer for 40 years.
Well, on Wed I learned Jimmy was renting the track Fri Dec 14 at Atco. Hmmmmm.

I just returned for a lonnnng drive there and back. Worth every mile.

Five runs: 11.39, 11.54, 11.13, 11.36, 11.13.

That's right: TWO 11.13's within an hour. All around 122-123mph.

Here's the first proof:

I have videos from within and from the outside. Conditions could NOT have been better for me. Cool crisp 50° air, good traction and having both Jimmy and his lead tech Kenny; watching, observing, making recommendations and supporting me. They told me what to do and I delivered.

(STAND on the throttle and then leave. Build up the boost! Don't short shift. Run it to 8000 rpm.) Best 60' times Ive ever had. Three times in the 1.6's. 17.5 lbs boost. 93 oct pump gas only.

Anyway, I'll compile the vids over the weekend. I lost a day at work, so tomorrow I'll be too busy.

Once we did the FIRST 11.13, they did what they could to see if we could knock 14 hundredths of of that, but it was already maxed with this combo. I know what it will take to go tens, when the time comes. Gears and a different torque converter.

VQ's making it happen!

Coop
Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Elperuano

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow great numbers!!
I too seen to be having problems with the hks Evc.. I'm set for 12 lbs but I seem to only be getting 11.5 n I get more boost in the higher gears. 2-3 I'll see 10.5 maybe 11 then 5th n 6th I'll get 11.5
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice Job Coop!

From a couple of months ago....

Well, on Wed I learned Jimmy was renting the track Fri Dec 14 at Atco. Hmmmmm.

I just returned for a lonnnng drive there and back. Worth every mile.

Five runs: 11.39, 11.54, 11.13, 11.36, 11.13.

That's right: TWO 11.13's within an hour. All around 122-123mph.

Here's the first proof:

I have videos from within and from the outside. Conditions could NOT have been better for me. Cool crisp 50° air, good traction and having both Jimmy and his lead tech Kenny; watching, observing, making recommendations and supporting me. They told me what to do and I delivered.

(STAND on the throttle and then leave. Build up the boost! Don't short shift. Run it to 8000 rpm.) Best 60' times Ive ever had. Three times in the 1.6's. 17.5 lbs boost. 93 oct pump gas only.

Anyway, I'll compile the vids over the weekend. I lost a day at work, so tomorrow I'll be too busy.

Once we did the FIRST 11.13, they did what they could to see if we could knock 14 hundredths of of that, but it was already maxed with this combo. I know what it will take to go tens, when the time comes. Gears and a different torque converter.

VQ's making it happen!

Coop

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT