Build Threads

New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
OK, so I promised a report back.

The car is running BETTER than it ever has. No kidding. Mike Botti (tuner for Jimmy at The Shop now), is magical. They had it on the dyno, but with the power it makes and to do repeated runs was more strain on the trans than Jimmy wanted. The auto is not as strong on the dyno (because it's stuck doing passes in fourth through one set of clutch packs.)

They got it to 550 repeatedly, but stopped. It was also SO hot during that time. The guys went out on the road and tuned it there. Which is the final method to tune correctly anyway.

Mike tells me it was a completely different animal. VERY responsive in all gears and not limited to readings in one. Kenny and Mike ran it up and down with Ken listening in on the earphones for knocking, and if they heard any, Mike dialed the timing back a degree or so. They got it perfecto.

So, not big dyno charts to show you, but I WILL say it's crazy fast @ 14lbs of boost. Sometime in this Fall I will verify at Atco. That said, my endgame is not just a time card. I actually like driving it on the road--like you do!

Last Sunday I took it to the inaugural Alden O. Sherman Classic Car Show, and entered it in 'Modern Exotics'. AOS is my 94-yr-old Grandfather-in-Law. You can see just how lucky I am to have gearheads in my family:

Here are Alden's three Bugatti's, along with his '68 V-10 Ferrari coupe:

Here is Alden O. Sherman receiving his award from the organizer:

Here's my entry with a previous dyno chart, and a placard describing the work.

My Mother-in-Law driving my son home. Note the hot rod in the background :

My son Trevor, showing the Best in Show handmade trophy:

Car Shows are so visual, but there are people corrupting camera shots everywhere. As a semi-professional photographer, I've learned to simply focus on hood ornaments.

Here was the Best in Show: A Spanish 'Pegasus' car from the early sixties.

It was a great weekend.

Coop
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
christian655321

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am glad it all worked out for you, although it doesn't seem like a vast improvement from what you had before, but perhaps i missed it. Could you be a little more clear on the improvements in power after the motor was built, I understand the reliability piece.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
SharpByCoop

The 'vast improvement' comes with insurance, not numbers. That said, even though there is less compression, I'd never know it. Mike added timing and fuel to areas below the peak, and the response is immediate.

Old tune, stock block: 591hp and bent rods. New tune, built lower end: probably the same and stronger.

Coop
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Coop very happy with you, Piece of mind is pricless, I have zero with my car now and am worried something will happen, No $$, whp ot time slip is worth a mind at easy,
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
SharpByCoop

Car is running flawless now. Time to verify.

Mike Botti and I are scheduled to go to Island Dragway on friday eve 10/5. I'm told you can run laps....

Mikey is bringing his slightly modified GTR (10.6 et is his goal) and he's offering to be there creating a tune on race fuel only, or race fuel mixed, for me.

My goal: sub 11.5's repeatedly.

Join us?

Coop
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Skimmed through your thread before and got an idea was going on. Glad everything is better for you now and more insured for the long term. Glad to see a GTM kit as well. I only request, VIDEOS! lol

Nice pictures and beautiful family you got there sir.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
If only you weren't so far!!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM
SharpByCoop

Thanks, my friends. I'm very fortunate in many regards.

BTW: I spent some time last week doing a set of 'glamour' shots right after I washed and cleaned the car for the Car Show ^^^. I'll post them this week.

Jim
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Gotboost1099

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come back to atco I'd like to get my car on the track soon. I street tuned the car on 8 psi for the last week anxious to get it on the dyno hope I'm over 500hp hard to tell with these stock tires just spins all over the place.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Mr.Squeeze

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Car is running flawless now. Time to verify.

Mike Botti and I are scheduled to go to Island Dragway on friday eve 10/5. I'm told you can run laps....

Mikey is bringing his slightly modified GTR (10.6 et is his goal) and he's offering to be there creating a tune on race fuel only, or race fuel mixed, for me.

My goal: sub 11.5's repeatedly.

Join us?

Coop
Glad to here your car is doing good Coop Island is about 20 Min from me I might just drop by to watch you run.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM
SharpByCoop

Island Dragway cancelled...

...Atco Dragway is not.

I hope my tuner will make the longer drive to Atco. I will.

We did a test this week: I tried to lift the boost beyond the tuned 14 lbs through 3rd-4th gear. (Per Mike's instructions).

It would go no higher than 14.7lbs. Any setting maxxed out. After reading post after post about this HKS EVC-S controller, I'm not alone. For whatever reson that's it.

That's OK for now. We'll run it at that (This is the same controller that ran 11.43et. breaking up) I'm going to run a couple of gals of race fuel to boost the octane.

Beyond this Mike and Jimmy swears the engine can run 17-18lbs boost (With race fuel). I'll be looking for a better boost controller which can run a timed increase or some way to vary the boost through the range.

I'll update later. I'll bring the iPad with me....

Coop
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Coop,

Once again I'd like to thank you for this thread keeping us completely updated on your build, your progress, and your results. I have to say that this is probably the best build thread ever on a car forum in the history of car forums. I'm thrilled that its going so well for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Mr.Squeeze

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
...Atco Dragway is not.

I hope my tuner will make the longer drive to Atco. I will.

We did a test this week: I tried to lift the boost beyond the tuned 14 lbs through 3rd-4th gear. (Per Mike's instructions).

It would go no higher than 14.7lbs. Any setting maxxed out. After reading post after post about this HKS EVC-S controller, I'm not alone. For whatever reson that's it.

That's OK for now. We'll run it at that (This is the same controller that ran 11.43et. breaking up) I'm going to run a couple of gals of race fuel to boost the octane.

Beyond this Mike and Jimmy swears the engine can run 17-18lbs boost (With race fuel). I'll be looking for a better boost controller which can run a timed increase or some way to vary the boost through the range.

I'll update later. I'll bring the iPad with me....

Coop
I was hoping to see you run at Island dragway tonight good luck @ Atco

I have the same boost controller and my tuner was able to get it over 14 pounds had it up to 19 psi with race fuel. I however don't use the 19 psi because of my exhaust restriction once I get the duel 3 inch exhaust I will keep you updated on how it goes with the HKS EVC S
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Elperuano

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm also having some problems with my hks evc s, I'm not sure it's reading my boost correctly. During tuning it was showing 13's but hooked up to Osiris I was gettin about 12 lbs with boost dropping off slightly to redline at 11.8. Now my boost gauge reads high 10s or 11s. Gonna datalog a run and check how much actual boost I'm getting. Trying to figure out why it's not reading accurately. Spent a lot of money on it to just be like "oh well close enough" I want it to work the way it was intended to work!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 AM
SharpByCoop

Deja Vu all over again...

Long day into the night. My trip was neither disappointing nor exemplary.

First pass: 11.72 @ 121. Exactly what I've done (within three hundredths) each first pass I've been to the track in the past year.

Then it was a LONNNNNNNG delay as it was crowded, and I only got two more passes. I made a change to the boost controller and it revved and ran right into my 'fuel cut' at the top of first both times.

That slowed it down to 12.2. Drive home....

Anyway it wouldn't be called a DRAG strip if it was so much fun. LOL!

Plans: Changing the boost controller (manual at first to see if it's a problem beyond this) and a look into the 'fuel cut' programming. This has always been a bugaboo from my very first drag outing with the Twins turbos. It's like a toggle switch of 100hp. OFF/ON...

It's REAL hard to replicate on the street, because on the street, the tires explode in 1st-2nd gear, so we are always running it up into second and then nailing it to third/fourth, etc.

The track has enough traction to hold the tires firm for first, BUT this delayed shifting ECU makes you guess when to shift, as it's going to happpen 1000 rpm later in 1st....

Sigh.

Anyway I had a nice night. LOTS of highway driving in a great car.

Coop

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT