Build Threads

New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Hey Coop, Thanx for the update, Yea glad the rod did not snap :/.. Nice pics.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
The guys have been working steadily, and the engine is together and back in the car. Jimmy says it's more complicated and tighter than a GTR to work on. (His GTR engine has been in and out three times.)

He had a two-day delay as he found out, and was pointed towards, the factory-required replacement of the VVEL controllers. ($400 each X 2 = $800 which we hadn't planned on.)

I read on some post that, although Infiniti requires this, that it's NOT mandatory. GTM has replaced them? I can't imagine them not being able to work again. After all, they weren't broken.

I think it comes down to retiming them? If you know about this or have a link, I'd be interested. Yes, I've searched for 30 mins in vain, but got a nice education on how involved this system is.

At this point, it's moot. They were installed already, and the engine is together.

Fire-up ought to be in a couple of days or so, then when it's running suitable, I'm off to put on some break-in miles.

I'm excited to get this back.

Coop
Old 06-23-2012, 03:21 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
To be honest, I've never read about a VVEL replacement in any VQ build that I've come across.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The only thing i have seen about vvel replacement is that it is easier to buy new than to try to rework the vvel if it has any kind of change whatsoever. So even if the vvel was changed just a tick, it would be easier to just buy new because no one has the code for it

Cant wait to see her back on the road coop. Sounds promising soon enough!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
SharpByCoop

Lightbulb

Good news. Jimmy sent me a vid this morning: It's ALIVE!

I went to The Shop later this afternoon. The engine is completely together, I fired it up and it's as smooth and ever, with no error codes and nothing amiss. All that's left is inner fenders and other miscellanea.

The entire car ready to drive away on tuesday or wed. Check for leaks, another change of oil, and then I drive it for 500-1000 miles to break in and ensure a good future.

We'll come back and retune it to the new components (Specifically the lower CR pistons.) We're sure we've got a few degrees of timing across the board to advance, and a new fuel curve. Right now that's not imperative, and it's safer than not with the tune from the previous higher compression OEM pistons.

I'm interested in that one-piece driveshaft from Z1, but so far there is only the manual versions?

It will be a fun Summer for me!

Coop
Old 06-23-2012, 06:26 PM
G37Stampa

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Good news. Jimmy sent me a vid this morning: It's ALIVE!

I went to The Shop later this afternoon. The engine is completely together, I fired it up and it's as smooth and ever, with no error codes and nothing amiss. All that's left is inner fenders and other miscellanea.

The entire car ready to drive away on tuesday or wed. Check for leaks, another change of oil, and then I drive it for 500-1000 miles to break in and ensure a good future.

We'll come back and retune it to the new components (Specifically the lower CR pistons.) We're sure we've got a few degrees of timing across the board to advance, and a new fuel curve. Right now that's not imperative, and it's safer than not with the tune from the previous higher compression OEM pistons.

I'm interested in that one-piece driveshaft from Z1, but so far there is only the manual versions?

It will be a fun Summer for me!

Coop
Thats great news! glad to see everything is back together.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Very nice to hear Coop. Very nice
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
SharpByCoop

Thanks guys!

Jimmy drove it today, tells me it's running just fine, and it's been cleaned. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I'll report back in once I drive it.

I'm still curious of the complications/requirements/settings of reusing the original cam controllers. At this point, it's simply an FYI.

Coop
Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
That is great news indeed!

... couldn't help but notice you say something about a vid that was sent to you... I mean... in the sense of sharing and all... how would one also watch said video of yours?!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
SharpByCoop

The vid he sent was just a 30" clip of the car idling, and him with a voice-over telling me "No noises, no drips, no smoke, not a F%CKING thing wrong!"

It's rated R....

Coop
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 PM
SharpByCoop

I picked it up tonight, and drove it no more than ten miles. It's a pleasure, once again.

It's been three months since I drove it last, and can barely tell it's lower in compression. It's still a 3.7liter torque beast, so it still has authority.

I tipped into it a bit and it jumps right into boost. Like it should.

Quiet with absolutely no tickinng or piston slap. Smooth balanced engine.

I am driving it like a ***** for a while. That's OK. We'll change the Adult Contemporary station back to Alternative Rock in the future.

More impressions as I get further along....

Coop
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
This is only getting better!

Coop, why didn't you consider stroking it while you were swapping internals anyways?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 AM
SharpByCoop

No way. I didn't want a big built engine. Jimmy was upset that I didn't do some porting or even go heavy duty valve springs.

This is fine. I can turn up the boost when I'm ready, and the lower end and trans will to be able to handle it.

Coop
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
SharpByCoop

I'd put almost 100 miles on the car. Still laying low on the throttle, but it's there.

Jimmy has some personnel changes at The Shop. He's got a new tuner working with him. He's a fellow who I've known for years, and started doing road tunes on the side in the Subie community, and has turned it into a full-time job in the past three years.

Mike Botti is known in those circles as 'PhatBotti Tuning'. He's a REALLY good guy and, as Jimmy needs, dependably consistent.

I asked, and Mike joined me, for some drivability tuning for everything but boost. He had my laptop and the files, and modified timing, fuel and MAF curves. He's new to Osiris, but not new to the needs and methods.

What a difference he made for 1/8th throttle operation (Basically 90% of our time in the car.) That and the balanced engine and it's like OEM. (Shifts are still really firm, though) I can't tell it's less compression, now.

We all agreed that I will put more miles on the car and then we go back to the dyno for a more serious look at the larger numbers. Soon.

His smart recommendation: Run the car with a tune up to about 550whp on 93oct pump fuel. Beyond that, add in the race fuel, then pump it up to 650 or so. But, don't depend on running those numbers without octane help. That, and old plugs didn't help my cause last March. (See the past two pages of threads). It may be able to handle even more, but we will determine that when it's got AFR probes sticking up it's butt....

So, for now, I am a happy clam. Car is running smooooth and clean, and we'll jump on it in a few weeks. Today it's 90° plus, and there is no need to try for much in the heat of the summer.

You KNOW I won't settle for an 11.43" one time. It will return, with a vengeance.

Coop
Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
SharpByCoop

Car is becoming almost a daily driver. I've got 360 miles on it and it's running better every day.

I sent a PM to Sam@GTM with advice wished for my next phase of fuel needs. He would know best. I've got too much at stake to allow fuel starvation to occur now. Awaiting a response and a direction.

All is well.

Coop

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT