Build Threads

New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Not much to tell you guys as I write. The car came apart last week, just before The Shop closed for a week as the owner took his yearly vacation with his family (Spring Break).

I didn't even get there to take photos or see. Final teardown.

Parts were ordered: Bolts, gaskets, rods, pistons (Wiseco 9:1, I am pretty certain).

We may do a bit more, or not. John Visconti said the turbos looked pretty rough inside and recommended a minor modified workover (porting?) from someone he uses.

Anyway, I'm patient and have been promised to be back on the road in May.

News as I know more.

Coop
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Wow 9:1?? Big boost plans?

Any plans for suspension mods btw? I heard they improve power delivery off the line
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
SharpByCoop

9:1 appears to be the starting point for most turbo application. That's an off-the-shelf piston. That's WHY I am doing this, for more safety.

Boost: Mid-upper teens would be available. That's not necessarily BIG boost, but it will make a substantial difference. I doubt if the supplied GTM wheels are ready for more, if even that.

I'm prepared to run at a consistent 10 lbs on the road. This would be OK with this combo.

Suspension: Last outing we installed the rear camber adjusters and drew the adjustment in, so the car would squat with a more flat footprint.

My needs are not explicitly drag racing, but I'm inclined to do it anyway.

I'm going there tomorrow morning with my camera. A few of the guys have been working behind 'closed' doors getting projects done. Kenny called me and invited me to come down. (Oh, bring your checkbook, BTW. LOL!)

Kenny tells me everything was in great shape. He allows it's a VERY complicated motor. VVEL rules!

Still, Jimmy sent the heads to be decked , just to be sure. Rods and pistons and studs may even be there. I'll see. If we are going for the pistons, having the torqueing hardware and ensuring flat surfaces is key with a build that will ultimately see even more boost.

Coop
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Man we're really lucky to have you with threads like these on our forums, starting to get sick of all the intake and exhaust threads haha
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Amen. Your build TT being awesome is one thing, your dedication to sharing every aspect with us and keeping everything updated so that we can drool and also learn form your experience moment by moment is invaluable. Thank you Coop and good luck with your engine build and future endeavors.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Why are you rebuilding ?? Are u having issues with the stock block ?? I'm thinking about buying a boosted performance single turbo kit ..
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
SharpByCoop

Post #268. I have G37Stampa to blame. He's gunning for me.

BTW, I went over the threads in the G35 forum, and it appears the quickest Infiniti EVER is a G35 in Puerto Rico that went 10.97 or so. Just this season.

Nissan 350z's (Auto!) are into the nines. (Props to Vinny Ten Racing up here in the Northeast.)

Acceleration is a drug. Very addicting.

Coop
Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
BTW, I went over the threads in the G35 forum, and it appears the quickest Infiniti EVER is a G35 in Puerto Rico that went 10.97 or so. Just this season.

Coop
^ Go get em!

I agree with others though, thank you so much for sharing this and for doing this. It is not easy paving the way and you are doing just that while setting the bar at a very high level for anyone to compete! This is my favorite thread on this forum!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 PM
SharpByCoop

Lightbulb Updates

Hi guys,

A project of this magnitude takes time. We're about two weeks away from running (I hope).

Upon full disassembly, I found I was VERY fortunate. Running 600whp and multiple street/dyno/drag runs, it found our limits.

As The Shop's tech Kenny told me: "You ran out of engine!". Well, we ran out of the limits of the stock components.

Here are shots I took a couple of weeks ago of the disassembly:

Now the bad news:

WOW! I've heard of, but not encountered, bent rods. Now I know.

Full disclosure: It wasn't running quite as well driving BACK from Atco as it did driving TO there. Not horrendous, but we figured something must have changed.

Anyway, the cylinders look MINT as does the crank and heads. That's good news. Jimmy has chosen Wiseco 9.0:1 CR pistons, and a set of KI H-beam rods. He has had good success with both.

A call to GTM and Sam is providing us with ALL Main and rod bearings, and ARP head and main studs. Props to GTM for following up and through.

The heads were sent out to have the valves/seats freshened up, and the clearances were reset. The heads were decked for flatness, and the entire rotating assembly is being sent to the same machine shop (in Danbury) to balance the unit.

Once it returns, the reassembly begins. Roberto is the build tech on this project, and he's as good as it gets. Jimmy and Kenny will oversee it.

I will visit soon and see what else I can capture.

This will be a fun Summer, that's my goal.

Coop
Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Wow! You're lucky you caught it before it ruined your block!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Coop,
Can you tell if the piston and rod damage was caused by dentination? If only one piston was damaged, do you think it could be cooling / lean fuel? I'm thinking... most rods and pistons look okay? And thanks for this thread!

Last edited by Boomer-Bob; 05-06-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: I skipped too many English classes! %-)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM
SharpByCoop

Not sure. Kenny allowed that the piston did not show excessive heat like when a Subie fries one. That was when he stated it simply wasn't strong enough for this power ("Ran out of engine!").

Bearings did not show the wear that detonation can and does produce. Not saying it didn't have detonation, but the indicators weren't that strong.

Coop
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Coop;
What ever the cause, I'm thinking the new C/R, rods and pistons will cure it. You have one nice ride there.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
SharpByCoop

Going to Atco, one thing I was aware of, but didn't have time to change was a seemingly simple modification that played a role. When I went to the higher boost setting it would run clean until later gears. then there was some misfiring. Big cylinder pressures there.

Misfiring can be a few things, but one year old spark plugs with a 'normal' or wider gap can't handle the cylinder pressures that will occur at 600whp. What we needed to do was to close the gap down to .020" to ensure the plugs would fire.

It's a low budget and effective cure for an OEM ignition. Jimmy tells me any misfire is havoc on engine internals. I'll accept this responsibility to have missed this.

One thing is certain: After this build has some reliable street miles, when it's time to turn up the boost again--the plugs won't be wide, and the fuel won't be pump gas.

Coop
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Hey Coop, Your the man for sharing all this. I have been poking in here since day, one... Just a question tho, Did you ever look at the GTR pistons and rods? Something I was thinking about for my build "Maybe".

Nice on catching that issue, Good time for your gut to say "Time to build"

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT