Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Mr.Squeeze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The G37 weighs around 3700 pounds stock
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Don't think I wasn't chuckling about your project and it's impending threat! LOLZ!

Go for it. I'm still waiting for a dropbox file of John's video. It will be clear and filled with "Yeah buddy's!"

Car sleeps off the line for these times. I'm giving away three tenths. But... the consistency is gratifying.

Thanks.

Coop

Any chance you can tweak tune to achieve some HP quicker?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm trying to make sense of your sentence.

The tune is at the limit. I'm negligent in not getting the techs to replace or regap the plugs. Jimmy said watching the car run 125 with misfires, that there is close to 130 in the tune as it stands.

Getting it to launch harder would be the challenge. And that could be remedied with a higher stall speed converter. It takes six feet of drive out before it starts getting busy.

I know this, but it's still my street car with a 9-yr-old in the back seat and my wife with me going to church on Sundays. Really.

That said, I'm a glutton for persistency and betterment. I think I can lose a tenth by simple brake boosting. My previous track outing had (2) 1.76" 60' times.

There's going to be another track rental in April. Jimmy is three tenths away from AMS for the GTR quickest record. (8.97" @ 160) He's going to go e-98 and 35 lbs boost. We'll be there.

John tells me he'll send me the vid. I'm still waiting.

Coop
Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 PM
SharpByCoop

Video

I finally made time to compile both the vids of this run.

We're going by the premise "If you've got it, flaunt it!" hence the title of the vid.

Quickest Infiniti G37 @ Drag Strip

There still more to be had. We've got our thinking caps on and wringing our hands in anticipation of more.

Thanks for watching. (It's uploaded to 720hd. Open it up!)

Coop
Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim,

So only mods were the turbos, transmission beefed up, exhaust and that's it? If you had to guess, how much did you invest including labor? $20K? I am thinking about doing this too when my lease runs out and wanted to have a ballpark figure. Problem is I have two years left on my lease.

TIA,

Matt
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Coop for the Thread & information

Coop,
What an amazing thread, and ride by the way. I appreciate the info you have provided. I just picked up a 2012 IPL auto about 2 months ago. I love the car and have recently been thinking about getting a GTM TT setup on my new ride.

So far i have tinted the windows, smoked the rear tail lights & installed a 600w alpine amp and JL 10'' subwoofer in a stealth box in the trunk.

Now on to the power.
I am lucky enough to live a half hour away from GTM so i asked Sam to put together a package for me. He suggested a GMT TT setup installed and tuned by them along with a Trans cooler and oil cooler as well as transmission valve body upgrade (to increase the pressure in my 7speed AT).

Do you have any words of wisdom for me since you have gone thru a (somewhat) similar type upgrade? (although yours is much higher end and aggressive than mine im sure!)

I am still struggling with the price at this point. I would love to have it done, and any advice you have I'm sure would be invaluable given the number of hours you have put into yours.

(by the way, I am not looking at the high-end stage II, due to the costs, nor am i looking at switching the exhaust or transmission - since the exhaust on the IPL is already upgraded and i cant afford to do it all anyway. I would like to add a simple boost controller too if you have suggestions).

Thanks again for your dedication and taking the time to post all your progress. I know it takes a great deal of time to do it all!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM
weaver

Wattles, how much is it to do all of the parts and labor?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM
SharpByCoop

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the props. Approximate averaged-up totals below.
  • GTM Stg II 'Turnkey' Kit: $9000
  • Exhaust: $1500
  • Boost Controller: $500
  • L10 Auto Trans upgrade (incl labor): $4000
  • Bigger tires and wheels: $2000
  • Labor: $4000 (? Each shop will charge accordingly)
  • Total: $21,000
Then I paid again for another tune.

That gets you in the running for where I'm at. You CAN do it far less expensive, but that's what it cost me.

See my sig line. For me: it was worth it.

Coop
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
D_Rek

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, what a wonderful car man.
Its jus nice to see those kind of figures coming from the G.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
weaver

Jim,

Thanks. That is what I figured. I used to run Mustangs at the strip about a decade ago or longer. Nothing like what you did. I was a poor 20 something year old. Had a 92 Ford Mustang 5.0 Notchback that ran low 13's on stock tires. I did the usual upgrades. Exhaust, off road h pipe, short throw shifter, shorty headers and to top it off a Vortech S Trim supercharger. The block was stock, intake, cam, etc. Also changed the gears as well. Probably some other stuff too I am forgetting. I am leasing a 2011 G37 vert right now. I am not going to keep the car, but I love the infiniti, so am thinking of buying a used coupe and doing what you did. I always wanted a turbo car. My other choice may be to lease a corvette, but it will depend on my finances and what I want to do at that time. I still have two years left on my lease.

Thanks again for sharing. I would just be happy to have a 12 second street car. That will beat most cars on the street, although I don't condone street racing. If I could do 11's, that would be insane to me.

Matt
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wattles
Coop,
What an amazing thread, and ride by the way. I appreciate the info you have provided. I just picked up a 2012 IPL auto about 2 months ago. I love the car and have recently been thinking about getting a GTM TT setup on my new ride.

So far i have tinted the windows, smoked the rear tail lights & installed a 600w alpine amp and JL 10'' subwoofer in a stealth box in the trunk.

Now on to the power.
I am lucky enough to live a half hour away from GTM so i asked Sam to put together a package for me. He suggested a GMT TT setup installed and tuned by them along with a Trans cooler and oil cooler as well as transmission valve body upgrade (to increase the pressure in my 7speed AT).

Do you have any words of wisdom for me since you have gone thru a (somewhat) similar type upgrade? (although yours is much higher end and aggressive than mine im sure!)

I am still struggling with the price at this point. I would love to have it done, and any advice you have I'm sure would be invaluable given the number of hours you have put into yours.

(by the way, I am not looking at the high-end stage II, due to the costs, nor am i looking at switching the exhaust or transmission - since the exhaust on the IPL is already upgraded and i cant afford to do it all anyway. I would like to add a simple boost controller too if you have suggestions).

Thanks again for your dedication and taking the time to post all your progress. I know it takes a great deal of time to do it all!!!!
Wattles, I've parked in that same parking space! Wish my car looked that good! That ride with TT, sweet!

Forgive me for going geezer on you guys, but, I'm really impressed with "the future". 40 years ago, the humble Group Z members would never had dreamed of the cars we have today, the perfomace, mods, luxury, or appearance. Life is good.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
SharpByCoop

Wattles: Doubt if I could add anything more informative than what Sam can recommend. All I can tell you is how much authority you will have, once you go beyond half throttle.

You'll see.

Jim
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM
SharpByCoop

I might as well let on that my car is now been delivered to The Shop. We are pulling engine monday, and going with pistons and rods. Probably a 9:1 or 10:1 compression ratio instead of 11:1 (OEM).

Go big or go home...

More news next week as we get it apart and I determine how much further I want to go.

Doing nothing else, this will allow us to lift the boost to the mid teens. 130's are probable.

Coop
Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I might as well let on that my car is now been delivered to The Shop. We are pulling engine monday, and going with pistons and rods. Probably a 9:1 or 10:1 compression ratio instead of 11:1 (OEM).

Go big or go home...

More news next week as we get it apart and I determine how much further I want to go.

Doing nothing else, this will allow us to lift the boost to the mid teens. 130's are probable.

Coop

Keep us posted!!!

Thank you for updating us too Coop! A lot of vicarious living is done through this thread, I promise you that!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Daaayum! Keep us posted please!

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT