Build Threads

New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 AM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Trans = rebuild time.

Not surprising. I've flogged this thing mercilessly at the track three outings, on the street a bunch, and on the dyno twice. We've really gotten the motor dialed in, but it's taken a toll.

The 5AT is strong, but not completely 'bulletproof'.

Slipping dramatically in fourth now. (You can see it start to slip in my dyno chart. That's the slide down @ 6800.) It's going back to Pat at Level Ten. He's happy to get back into it and find the weakest link. I like working with him, and he's a straight shooter.

He has someone who may be able to rework the trans ECU to take out the embedded delays. Not 100% sure, but we are going to explore this. (He tells me he is in Saudi Arabia now?)

News as I do. With the good comes the bad. I knew this. Be prepared for the worst if you are pressing.

Coop
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Not surprising. I've flogged this thing mercilessly at the track three outings, on the street a bunch, and on the dyno twice. We've really gotten the motor dialed in, but it's taken a toll.

The 5AT is strong, but not completely 'bulletproof'.

Slipping dramatically in fourth now. (You can see it start to slip in my dyno chart. That's the slide down @ 6800.) It's going back to Pat at Level Ten. He's happy to get back into it and find the weakest link. I like working with him, and he's a straight shooter.

He has someone who may be able to rework the trans ECU to take out the embedded delays. Not 100% sure, but we are going to explore this. (He tells me he is in Saudi Arabia now?)

News as I do. With the good comes the bad. I knew this. Be prepared for the worst if you are pressing.

Coop

Coop,

Mind inquiring if he worked on 7ats? I've asked him but it concerned me when he said he done a bunch but then referred to the 7at with the 5at part number.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
rx794
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the transmission.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Mike at GTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim, I'm sorry to hear about your transmission and I hope Level 10 can get you squared away so you can continue tearing up the strip like you've been.

You've been throwing down some impressive numbers man!

BTW, I did reply to your thread on the 370Z forum a while back...sorry if you missed it.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM
SharpByCoop

Hi Mike,

Thanks for joining just to show support. I appreciate your props.

Car is being picked up tomorrow. News as I know more.

Coop
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
GOOD luck i hope it all gets fixed
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM
SharpByCoop

I've gotten my car back from Level Ten in NJ. It's better than ever.

I posted a lengthy photo thread about them. It's here in the Northeast Regional forum, but link to it here:

Level Ten Performance Transmissions

We've scheduled a rented track day at Atco NJ on Mar 5th. (Weather providing). All customers from The Shop CT and anyone else who's inclined.

(Jimmy, the owner, has a GTR making 800+whp. He's already gone 9.9 et, and he's looking for sub 9.50's now!)

My car is running well. We'll see.

Coop
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
mtrsprt

Originally Posted by kosstick
Coop,

Mind inquiring if he worked on 7ats? I've asked him but it concerned me when he said he done a bunch but then referred to the 7at with the 5at part number.
Jim, do you mind answering that question that has been asked 2 times by this poster? I am curious myself. Level 10 did state the 7AT WAS a stronger transmission in stock form......

Cory
Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
SharpByCoop

I missed where Level Ten stated this. Not in my post. It may be so, but you are out of context now.

I asked, he said he's done them, he was confident in his work. I do not press the 7AT concerns, because it doesn't concern me. Why would it? That's all I know.

Why don't you pick up the phone and call him? I am not going to be the fall guy if there are any concerns, because I made recommendations.

973-827-1000 Ask for Pat or Sean.

Coop
Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
mtrsprt

Thanks for the #'s Jim. Didn't think I was really out of context, or came across harsh. Sunday must be snappy day? You have done well with the car. No reason why it shouldn't be in the high 10's this summer @ that power level.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM
SharpByCoop

Sorry, man. I must have 10 PM's asking me about Level Ten, and some suggesting they would never work with them, because of some 5-yr old thread on a Supra forum.

Why did I take that chance? WTF? Huh...?

The interwebs archives ONLY the bad stories. Look at the office walls in my L10 thread. There are hundreds of magazine articles covering the successes.

It appears there is a STRONG market for a proven 7AT build. Problem is, no one has seen it.

Pat Barrett is easy to talk to. Yes, he's also going to promote the hell out of his work. That's what they do. So getting objective info elsewhere is OK.

My build is testimony of a successful project. Thanks.

Coop
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
mtrsprt

Not a problem. I am coming from a 700+HP Mustang hobby (of 17 years), and getting into the Infiniti world myself. I will be acquiring an 09 Sport Coupe very soon, and going to be doing a full FI build on it as well. Just trying to figure out if I want the MT or AT. A huge decision for me without a doubt! Both have their +'s and -'s as we all know. Right now the S+R Single turbo setup seems to be doing well also. This time, turbo(s) are on my mind, since I have been supercharging all these years and dealing with belt slippage, parasitic losses,etc. I will probably be in contact with you in PM's in the future if you don't mind.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
SharpByCoop

No way will my car run tens.

Again, the trans won't leave that hard, even with this upgraded torque converter. I went only stage one on that.

And I'm hard pressed now to get 1.7" 60' times. it would take 1.5" and a stronger midrange. The auto trans is consistent on the one hand, and holding it back on the other. It takes more HP to propel the auto.

We're all awaiting what Albert's (G37STampa) will do with a standard gearbox.

That said, we're scheduled March 5th to go to Atco, rented track day. I'm there. Projected best: 11.5? I'd like to think.

Coop
Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
mtrsprt

11.50's with a good D/A is not out of reach for that trap speed at all. What's the RPM's crossing the stripe? Any room for a little more rear gear? That will help with the pull out of the 60' What tune/boost are you on at the track? With 550-580rwhp, that car should be trapping close to 126-127mph I would think. Has anyone really figured out what the internals/block are safe to yet? They are awfully stout engines for being a 3.7L V6 for sure.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
SharpByCoop

Last outing I was only just over 6000rpm in fourth. Yes, I said 6000 rpm. if it goes 125MPH it could be around 6500. It would respond to 4.08's well. It has 3.73 gears now.

At what point do I transition from fun-driving street car to less-useful drag car. That's my pause on the gears.

New tune is untested at track. Last tune outing = 500-525? (Boost controller difficulties.)

No, and yes.

Coop

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT