Build Threads

New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:43 AM
TimG37x
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/T FTW! Great Thread. Good to know there's people back in my neck of the woods doing dirty things with their G's.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Devildog37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Coop, I've been reading this since it first popped up. It's awesome to see that everything came together in the end. Congrats on a monster setup!!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Hey man! Thanks for your props. Much appreciation. We will meet soon. Now that I've finished making the car FAST it's time to make it look good. I know where to go and who to call. Tri-state unite!

Coop
Anytime man, let me know whenever you're ready.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:56 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Some new mods....

OK, it's been a good summer. I've driven the car a bunch and have enjoyed it trouble-free.

One of the things that gets eliminated when you install the GTM TT kit is the wiper reservoir. The large OEM plastic vessel was where the intercooler piping now is. Hector didn't fab me anything.

I decided I wanted something, anything, to clean a spotty windshield. I decided to take matters into my own hands....

A quick visit to the kitchen gave me what I needed. Took some measurements, grabbed my parts and I headed down into the workshop...

There, I fixed it!

Don't laugh. I used the OEM motor and its fitted rubber grommet. It fits clean, and I vented and created a double cap inside so the fluid won't migrate out. Yes, that's a zip tie. So far one month, no probs.

Next: Exhaust system.

Mine performs well, but is simply too loud for us, especially @ 2100rpm. The auto trans does NO help in this regard, as it tends to hold rpm right there for much low speed driving.

I'd spent hours on the forum reading others reviews of systems and finally settled in on the full cat-back 'Grip' system from ARK. The design uses principles of audio science and now that I have it installed, I'll tell you it calmed the tone down JUST right. I still have GTM test pipes, and so that's an area I can improve upon in the future. (there are quieter TP's and HFC's out there.)

I love the sound, the looks are formidable, and the build quality had JimmyK at The Shop praising my choice.

Tuning: I have more on schedule, and I think I'll start a fresh thread concerning it.

Coop
Old 09-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you have a TT why would you need TPs? I thought TT didnt have TPs at all? Looks good though.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Greggski

All the TP's are is a stainless tube that connects your exhaust to your turbos. They are located off the hot side of the turbos and connected to the exhaust's H, Y or Mid pipes
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great to hear everything's trouble free for you man! This is something im contemplating doing in the future
Old 12-04-2011, 01:24 PM
SharpByCoop

Latest update...

I have been preoccupied with other things, but we've been plugging away at my car. As it turns out, slow backwards progress. Reality check.

I've had multiple changes since I last went out: New exhaust (ARK Grip), slightly richer Uprev tune, changed boost controller switch (Blitz controller breaks after 6 mos and doesn't go into boost mode. Scrapyard junk, although it boosted properly.)

I made the time to get to Atco Dragway yesterday.

Conditions at Atco today were ideal: sunny, crisp 50° air, traction, and no wind.

I did not even get into the elevens.

Multiple passes with a new HKS EVC-S boost controller proved it to be non-functioning or something. Jimmy was frustrated enough with it at The Shop that he turned it off until we got input from someone at HKS (or a distributor) who understands this particular unit. When you turn it off it runs on waste gate spring pressure alone. That was not enough boost. About 8 lbs.

That was my best run: 12.05 @ 117mph.

Any time I tried to run with the boost controller it would boost HARD to either spin the tires, and/or run into the HKS 'safe' Drop Mode and drop down to about 5 lbs of boost for the duration of 2nd gear--then it would come back in hard, but I'm halfway down the track. It still ran 117 when it came back on. Another 12.0 bucking and jerking.

A simple inexpensive manual boost controller would have been MUCH more trouble free. Sigh.

Anyway, that's the close of my season. We'll diagnose the EVC-S and either get it right (with input) or scrap it. The directions are complex and translated Japanese. Maybe there is an incorrect hookup. I dunno.

I did get an aborted pass with a 1.80" 60" time, so it was working hard.

Drag racing is hard. My experiences show me there are usually more disappointments than successes, but I'm persistent. After I regain my dismay, we figure out how to not make the same mistakes. And figure out new ones.

Coop
Old 12-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
You are running well now and should be low 11's soon. It will be all worth it. You'll remember the best runs long after you forget the others. I remember Lyon's Drag Strip when I had my first 12 sec. run and OCIR my first 10 sec. in... 1969. I hardly remember what it took to get there. ;-)
Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 PM
kosstick

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I have been preoccupied with other things, but we've been plugging away at my car. As it turns out, slow backwards progress. Reality check.

I've had multiple changes since I last went out: New exhaust (ARK Grip), slightly richer Uprev tune, changed boost controller switch (Blitz controller breaks after 6 mos and doesn't go into boost mode. Scrapyard junk, although it boosted properly.)

I made the time to get to Atco Dragway yesterday.

Conditions at Atco today were ideal: sunny, crisp 50° air, traction, and no wind.

I did not even get into the elevens.

Multiple passes with a new HKS EVC-S boost controller proved it to be non-functioning or something. Jimmy was frustrated enough with it at The Shop that he turned it off until we got input from someone at HKS (or a distributor) who understands this particular unit. When you turn it off it runs on waste gate spring pressure alone. That was not enough boost. About 8 lbs.

That was my best run: 12.05 @ 117mph.

Any time I tried to run with the boost controller it would boost HARD to either spin the tires, and/or run into the HKS 'safe' Drop Mode and drop down to about 5 lbs of boost for the duration of 2nd gear--then it would come back in hard, but I'm halfway down the track. It still ran 117 when it came back on. Another 12.0 bucking and jerking.

A simple inexpensive manual boost controller would have been MUCH more trouble free. Sigh.

Anyway, that's the close of my season. We'll diagnose the EVC-S and either get it right (with input) or scrap it. The directions are complex and translated Japanese. Maybe there is an incorrect hookup. I dunno.

I did get an aborted pass with a 1.80" 60" time, so it was working hard.

Drag racing is hard. My experiences show me there are usually more disappointments than successes, but I'm persistent. After I regain my dismay, we figure out how to not make the same mistakes. And figure out new ones.

Coop

Did the cobb tuning not work out?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
SharpByCoop

No. Not at all. I answered that in my other thread on the Cobb.

Well, the good news is, After a search on the 'net, I encountered a number of Evo and Supra owners with this HKS EVC-S controller with the EXACT same problem. Fortunately they provided the solutions. (The manual is translated and confusing. They have a default setting which is WAY out of line.) We are going back into the shop this week to straighten that out.

Coop
Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 PM
SharpByCoop

11.74" e.t.

Been to the track for the last time in 2011. Took my camera and brought my buddy, tuner John Visconti, who took a vid from the outside. I compiled two of them to give the FULL experience.

Not my very best pass, but the car is consistent.

It's 720hd, blow it up.

Infiniti G37 Drag Strip ? 11.74" et ? From inside and stands - YouTube

I love the tire howling from the rear. I don't get to listen to that.

Coop
Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Man, I could watch videos of this build all day! Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
holllllly sh****T. I'm honestly speachless....SO SO SICK!!!!

No other sound can replace the sound of a blow off valve like that!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:18 AM
kosstick

I wish I can trust level 10 with my tranny, Ive heard so many horror stories from those guys, howd you get the courage to trust them? Also didn't help that he kept throwing out the 5 at model number at me even after i told him it was a 7at...

Quick Reply: New build: GTM TT Stg-II • '08 Infiniti G37 5-spd auto • The Shop CT