Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

2009 G37x front bearing hub replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 09:52 PM
onanysunday
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 G37x front bearing hub replacement question

Hello, After recently purchasing this vehicle I'm in the process of replacing the driver side front bearing/ wheel hub which shimmies a bit and audibly rubs at certain speeds. I love working on all my vehicles and have done so for years but haven't ever had to replace a wheel bearing before. The right front bearing was recently replaced prior to my purchase. I'm at the very final step of simply pulling the old bearing off, which is now completely unbolted and disassembled, but just rusted in place.

I am looking at this Timken HA590376 replacement I have which is supposed to fit a 2009 G37x, but it has this metal cover on the back which would appear incompatible? with my current setup which would need to be open to allow the front CV axle shaft to pass through? I see there are several types for sale. They are all called "wheel hub assembly" but are different and not all created equal with both open and closed back designs.

Maybe I just chose the wrong one? How would this closed back design ever work for this application? Can I make it work -what I am I missing? The old bearing is just rusted on and I have sprayed it with some Rustoleum Rust Dissolve and PB Blaster around the edges and hit it with a sledgehammer to try and break it free. It's still locked on but needs to come off. The old bearing is starting to take some damage to the threads and its flat mating surface, so I am contemplating just putting everything back together and maybe returning this Timken (or purchasing one of the open back designs) and taking it in to my mechanic.

I love working on my cars and do it as much as possible but this one is kicking my a**. I removed the rusted rotor from the front bearing using the bolt and nut trick which worked perfectly. Any helpful advice or suggestions on this very last step of what to do next are appreciated, thank you.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-07-2024, 09:52 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Looks like.you bought the wrong bearing assembly. I found Timken 590125 to be the front hub for the "X" models:

As for removing the axle from the hub, if the splines are heavily rusted/ seized, you will need a lot of heat and a big hammer.

Alternatively, you can try using a pulley puller/ press tool to pop the axle out (most chain stores rent them). HOWEVER, with this method you can easily mushroom the end of the axle which will ruin the threads for the hub nut.
The following users liked this post:
onanysunday (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 04:28 PM
onanysunday
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I had indeed purchased the ones for the regular G37 and didn't know there was a special version just for the G37x until after the fact. After popping the top off the back with a large flatblade screwdriver which wasn't mentioned anywhere, the biggest difference is there are no splines inside (and smaller ID) so it can't work. That is how the RWD/2WD front wheel bearings are different than the AWD versions. Take note.

O'Reilly loans this bearing puller. It was free and made bearing removal much easier and seems to have prevented any further damage to other parts in the area. These AWD axle shafts are much thicker compared to 2WD so there was no mushrooming thankfully. After letting it soak with rust dissolver and PB Blaster, I was bludgeoning it for quite a while with a sledgehammer getting nowhere.

Last edited by onanysunday; 07-07-2024 at 05:24 PM.