Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

How to Enable the G37 Tire Pressure Menu!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 10:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,650 Likes on 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
This thread makes me want to get TPMS for my summer wheels......Good work!
Makes me want to get working TPMS for my winter wheels.

However, rescanning two sets of sensors twice a year, I just can't pry open my wallet for that. Wish I knew a guy...
Old 10-02-2023, 10:27 AM
Thedhc
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Thedhc
Ill do some extended driving tomorrow and report back to you!

Also Yeah thats the other option
Another reason why i might not see numbers, is because i dont think my current wheels have tpms sensors. Any easy way to check? 😁
Old 10-02-2023, 10:29 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 220 Posts
Another reason why i might not see numbers, is because i dont think my current wheels have tpms sensors. Any easy way to check? 😁
Discount tire has one of those TPMS scan tools, so they can check. The issue with them is if they can't find them, they will try to sell you a new set.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:48 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

So after some more driving today i dont get the tpms numbers to populate. Meaning i either dont have the sensors in my wheels or something else is messed up.

Does leaving the config there hurt anything if i cant get it to work? Otherwise i might need to revert the changes.

Originally Posted by socketz67
Discount tire has one of those TPMS scan tools, so they can check. The issue with them is if they can't find them, they will try to sell you a new set.
​​​​​​​Im not from the US so we dont got those, but i might buy a tpms reader myself to check.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:03 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts
Yes, if the TPMS sensors are the OEM/factory style, the valve stem has a 12mm metal nut/sleeve on it.
Like this:
Amazon Amazon

If aftermarket, some have that same collar and some don't.

If your TPMS light is off, most likely you have 4 working TPMS sensors.

Last edited by MotorvateDIY; 10-02-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:09 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MotorvateDIY
Is your TPMS light on?
Nope its not on
Old 10-02-2023, 01:27 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

So after some more driving today i dont get the tpms numbers to populate. Meaning i either dont have the sensors in my wheels or something else is messed up.
Does leaving the config there hurt anything if i cant get it to work? Otherwise i might need to revert the changes.
As far as I know, there are no issues with leaving the tire pressure menu enabled without TPMS sensors. It will just show *** for the pressure.

Im not from the US so we dont got those, but i might buy a tpms reader myself to check.
This may be a very long shot, but I have written a plug-in for rtl_433.
This uses a $60 "nooelec RTL-SDR" software defined radio to receive the TPMS signal, decode it and display the TPMS ID and tire pressure.

If there is any interest, I'll post more details.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:33 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Makes me want to get working TPMS for my winter wheels.
However, rescanning two sets of sensors twice a year, I just can't pry open my wallet for that. Wish I knew a guy...
Would it be accurate to say you would like an affordable tool to read and program the BCM for winter and summer TPMS sensors?

I'm working on it

Old 10-02-2023, 01:45 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

As far as I know, there are no issues with leaving the tire pressure menu enabled without TPMS sensors. It will just show *** for the pressure.

This may be a very long shot, but I have written a plug-in for rtl_433.
This uses a $60 "nooelec RTL-SDR" software defined radio to receive the TPMS signal, decode it and display the TPMS ID and tire pressure.

If there is any interest, I'll post more details.
I am interested of course....in both this and the device in your post below.

Ill go look at my tire sleeve now to confirm if its the same as the one from amazon.

edit: yeah i am missing the tpms senors i guess, maybe the previous owner removed them since he changed the wheels before selling the car to me (was cheaper with these wheels). Why i dont have an error message? No clue....

Last edited by Thedhc; 10-02-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:03 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

I am interested of course....in both this and the device in your post below.
Ill go look at my tire sleeve now to confirm if its the same as the one from amazon.
edit: yeah i am missing the tpms senors i guess, maybe the previous owner removed them since he changed the wheels before selling the car to me (was cheaper with these wheels). Why i dont have an error message? No clue....
To my eye, that looks like the normal non-TPMS valve stem.

What year is your G37?
In the US, a TPMS system was required by law in 2007, and 2012 in Europe.
It may be possible your car doesn't have a TPMS system.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:05 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

Yeah im pretty sure its a Normal valve, the boot is rubber and flexible. Year from the car is may 2010. Is there a way to check what options it came with based on vin?

Last edited by Thedhc; 10-02-2023 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,650 Likes on 3,478 Posts
Would it be accurate to say you would like an affordable tool to read and program the BCM for winter and summer TPMS sensors?

I'm working on it

Well, yes! And no. Yes, because that would be awesome. But no, because the sensors in my winter wheels (OEM duckfeet) are originals, so... 13 years old? Odds are they've bit the dust anyway. And I'm not going to be buying 4 new TPMS for my winter wheels, since it barely if ever gets driven in the winter anyway.

But keep going, Frank! If this were 10 years ago, I would have LOVED to have a personal scanning device for two sets of TPMS.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-02-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:40 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

Yeah im pretty sure its a Normal valve, the boot is rubber and flexible. Year from the car is may 2010. Is there a way to check what options it came with based on vin?
I contacted the previous owner, he told me my car almost came with all options...except for TPMS and adaptive cruise controle....tough luck
Old 10-02-2023, 02:48 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, yes and no. Yes, because duh! That would be awesome!
But no, because the sensors in my winter wheels (OEM duckfeet) are originals, so... 13 years old? Odds are they've bit the dust anyway. And I'm not going to be buying 4 new TPMS for my winter wheels, since it barely if ever gets driven in the winter anyway.

But keep going, Frank! If this were 10 years ago, I would have LOVED to have a personal scanning device for two sets of TPMS.
I might be able to change your mind...

The TPMS sensors I installed in the spring (video to be out in a few days on how to do this without a tire machine) were from AliExpress and cost $17 Canadian (~$13 USD) each delivered to my door.
So far they work the exact same as my single remaining OEM sensor.

After I've had them for a year, I'll let everyone know if they are still working in a future video.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:51 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

I contacted the previous owner, he told me my car almost came with all options...except for TPMS and adaptive cruise controle....tough luck
Well... that explains it!

Quick Reply: How to Enable the G37 Tire Pressure Menu!