Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

How to Enable the G37 Tire Pressure Menu!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 07:55 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Also also, the first time I successfully established a command line connection, it immediately freaked out with all kinds of error messages, with no input from me. I shut it down, took a deep breath and started over. It worked the second time around.
Just to let everyone know, this is normal.
Since this is a debug console, status and warning messages are displayed.

Generally, once the nav unit if fully booted up, there are none to very few messages.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 08:07 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IhaveREDseats
Are you expecting this because there is a cool science phenomenon? Or just because of different calibrations for different gauges?
The main reason is that the TPMS sensor only "sees" the pressure inside the tire and compares that to a "sealed reference pressure" typically 14.7 psi absolute, also known as 1 Atmosphere.
This means when at sea level, the TPMS sensors will be the most accurate compared to the tire gauge.

When you measure the tire pressure, the tire gauge is reading the difference between the pressure in the tire and the pressure of the air outside the tire.
See page 4 of this Infiniti TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54302-1738.pdf
Old 10-01-2023, 08:21 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Good point. Since those TPMS sensors sleep most of the time, I wonder if the menu was disabled by default to conserve tpms battery. I just had to replace all of the TPMS sensors on my daughters 2010 (two were dead, the other two died while Discount Tire ran the scan tool checking them), so I suspect that the 2013 is only going to buy me a little more time. Regarding the 4-8Gb limitation, this is likely on the RTOS side as I'm guessing that's the max amount of memory accessible by the VXworks implementation and that there isn't a handler built in for when the max memory is exceeded.
After additional testing, I was able to get a 16 and 32 GB memory stick to work, but only after formatting with the SDcard.org formatter program. Formatting them in Windows 10, Windows 11, and Mac Ventura didn't work... Weird!
socketz67 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 08:31 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

@ILM-NC G37S Were you able to get this working on a Macbook Pro? Unfortunatley, the only Windows laptop in the house is my work laptop, and the USB ports on it are locked down. As such, I am using my son's Macbook Pro (Ventura 13.5.1) with the SerialTools program Frank recommended, but the terminal program will not recognize the port when the USB-C (laptop side, tried both as those are the only IO on this laptop) to USB-A (car side) connection is made (only sees the two Bluetooth ports). I also tried the OSX Terminal utility: ls /dev/tty.* and the port is not there either (just the two BT ports).

USB thumb drive works as I was able to play an audio file
I checked the config filename (UsbDebugStart.ivanaX) and the extensions properties are set to view - no .txt (used a desktop PC to do this just in case the Mac adds crap to the file), and those look great

I thought newer Macs use an FTDI USB to Serial driver, but I'm thinking that maybe a VXWorks driver also needs to be installed on the Macbook as that's the RTOS running on the car's HU Display.
I have used a 2013 MacBook Pro, 2015 Macbook Pro, Trash Can Mac Pro and Mac Studio (Monterey to Ventura) with out any issues or drivers needing to be loaded.

If the port isn't showing up, it isn't going into USB debug mode for some reason.
Maybe try to format it with the sdcard.org formatter and add a line of text inside the debug file.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:55 AM
Thedhc
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, first poster...i tried this today and it worked. But the numbers never populated in the menu. How long do you need to drive for it to show actual tire pressure?
Old 10-01-2023, 12:50 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorvateDIY
I have used a 2013 MacBook Pro, 2015 Macbook Pro, Trash Can Mac Pro and Mac Studio (Monterey to Ventura) with out any issues or drivers needing to be loaded.

If the port isn't showing up, it isn't going into USB debug mode for some reason.
Maybe try to format it with the sdcard.org formatter and add a line of text inside the debug file.
I had thought about this, but assumed that since the MP3 played, the drive was formatted correctly. I will reformat with the sdcard.org formatter, then create a new "UsbDebugStart.ivanaX" file and try when the new USB-A to USB-A cable arrives later today (figured out I could plug a USB stick into the work laptop without summoning drones overhead).

Note that I have fixed a few Playstations in my time which require booting from an extenal drive and finding a specific folder on the thumb drive, and that process did not work with the same freebie trade show thumb drives I've collected from prior employers.

This one is flawless, so I'm thinking that the cheap drives may use a memory controller that is not recognized by the RTOS running on the head unit/Playstation:
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-01-2023, 02:18 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Thedhc
Hey, first poster...i tried this today and it worked. But the numbers never populated in the menu. How long do you need to drive for it to show actual tire pressure?
Hey 65th poster!
The factory shop manual states:
"Drive for 3 minutes at a speed of 40 km/h (25 MPH) or more, then drive normally for 10 minutes."

In my car, the pressure readings show up in under 1-2 minutes... but sometimes it has taken longer like 3-4 minutes.
What year is your G37?
Old 10-01-2023, 02:21 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

I had thought about this, but assumed that since the MP3 played, the drive was formatted correctly. I will reformat with the sdcard.org formatter, then create a new "UsbDebugStart.ivanaX" file and try when the new USB-A to USB-A cable arrives later today (figured out I could plug a USB stick into the work laptop without summoning drones overhead).

Note that I have fixed a few Playstations in my time which require booting from an extenal drive and finding a specific folder on the thumb drive, and that process did not work with the same freebie trade show thumb drives I've collected from prior employers.

This one is flawless, so I'm thinking that the cheap drives may use a memory controller that is not recognized by the RTOS running on the head unit/Playstation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
To be honest, I'm just suggesting something to try.
In theory, everything you have done should work... but since it didn't, then we shift to obvious/simple things to try to reduce the variables.
Good luck with the new A to A cable!
Old 10-01-2023, 02:22 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

Hey 65th poster!
The factory shop manual states:
"Drive for 3 minutes at a speed of 40 km/h (25 MPH) or more, then drive normally for 10 minutes."

In my car, the pressure readings show up in under 1-2 minutes... but sometimes it has taken longer like 3-4 minutes.
What year is your G37?
I will have to try driving some more then, i did not get to 10 minutes.

Also i have more options in the tpms not just psi and kpa, i got also bar and 1 more i forgot the name of.

I got a 2010 g37x sedan, European model.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:31 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Thedhc
I will have to try driving some more then, i did not get to 10 minutes.
Also i have more options in the tpms not just psi and kpa, i got also bar and 1 more i forgot the name of.
I got a 2010 g37x sedan, European model.
That would be the wonderful Kg/cm3!!
The software for Europe has more units than the US software.

So far, there have been 2 people (including you) that get the tire pressure menu, but don't get tire pressures.
I'm, not sure why and troubleshooting over a forum is tricky. It could be as simple as an unique BCM version... I don't know
Old 10-01-2023, 02:33 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

That would be the wonderful Kg/cm3!!
The software for Europe has more units than the US software.

So far, there have been 2 people (including you) that get the tire pressure menu, but don't get tire pressures.
I'm, not sure why and troubleshooting over a forum is tricky. It could be as simple as an unique BCM version... I don't know
Ill do some extended driving tomorrow and report back to you!

Also Yeah thats the other option
Old 10-01-2023, 04:00 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

In theory, everything you have done should work... but since it didn't, then we shift to obvious/simple things to try to reduce the variables.
I understand Frank. Really appreciate all of the effort and support you have put into this mod.
MotorvateDIY (10-02-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 08:52 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

It's working now. I downloaded the format tool from SDcard.org and performed a full reformat (took about 5 mins) of the 8Gb drive that wasn't working before. In addition, I created a new "UsbDebugStart.ivanaX" file (removed .txt extension). Opened the file and typed the word "Test" inside. Recall that the same USB Drive previously worked to play the MP3 file (but did not place the HUD in debug mode), so the reformatting with the SDcard.org tool should be the first step if your heads up display is not seeing the drive.

I then went to accessory and inserted the thumb drive. Removed it after 10 seconds. I then removed the thumb drive and connected to my work Windows laptop the new USB-A to USB-A cable I received from Amazon today:
Amazon Amazon

Once plugged in, I heard the familiar USB chime and a message popped up stating that a driver was being installed (wish I would have captured the name, had "Auto...VX.." in the tile). Opened Device Manager and saw that the new COM port setup on COM7. Opened Putty and connected per your instructions in the video. Saw some craziness like some of the others, but then once I had a command prompt, followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. I probably drove 1-2 mins before the PSI showed up in the display. Thanks again for all of the support.

Last edited by socketz67; 10-01-2023 at 09:01 PM.
MotorvateDIY (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 09:27 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

It's working now. I downloaded the format tool from SDcard.org and performed a full reformat (took about 5 mins) of the 8Gb drive that wasn't working before. In addition, I created a new "UsbDebugStart.ivanaX" file (removed .txt extension). Opened the file and typed the word "Test" inside. Recall that the same USB Drive previously worked to play the MP3 file (but did not place the HUD in debug mode), so the reformatting with the SDcard.org tool should be the first step if your heads up display is not seeing the drive.

I then went to accessory and inserted the thumb drive. Removed it after 10 seconds. I then removed the thumb drive and connected to my work Windows laptop the new USB-A to USB-A cable I received from Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once plugged in, I heard the familiar USB chime and a message popped up stating that a driver was being installed (wish I would have captured the name, had "Auto...VX.." in the tile). Opened Device Manager and saw that the new COM port setup on COM7. Opened Putty and connected per your instructions in the video. Saw some craziness like some of the others, but then once I had a command prompt, followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. I probably drove 1-2 mins before the PSI showed up in the display. Thanks again for all of the support.

Awesome update! I'm glad you got it to work.
socketz67 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 09:57 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts
This thread makes me want to get TPMS for my summer wheels......Good work!
MotorvateDIY (10-02-2023)

Quick Reply: How to Enable the G37 Tire Pressure Menu!