Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

How to Enable the G37 Tire Pressure Menu!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 04:29 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
This is amazing. I wanted to ask. I broke one of my sensors and had plans on making a dummy enclosure to keep it under pressure since it was the valve that broke but it looks like it needs to spin as well.
Could normal car motion be enough or does it need a specific amount of rotation, etc?
From what I have seen, the sensor needs to see a certain amount of g-force from spinning in a tire. Then it wakes up and broadcasts the TPMS ID and pressure.
I don't think having the TPMS sensor in an enclosure will be enough to wake it up and send data.

However, on the next episode, due out next week, I'll show how you can change the TPMS sensor without a tire machine and with a $25 set of "tire spoons"
This was to be followed up with a $90 TPMS tool to program the BCM, but that tool is no longer for sale and so that episode is worthless
BUT, I am working a a device to read the individual sensors and program the IDs to the BCM. However, that won't be until the GTR gauges are further along.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorvateDIY
If you want to verify the 16 GB USB stick is working with your nav system, remove or rename the UsbDebugStart file and copy any MP3 file to it.
Plug it into the car, and you should be able to listen to the MP3. Then you know the USB stick is good and the USBDebug will also work.
Thanks! Did exactly that, and it worked fine. Played the MP3 right away.

After all, you have lived without real time tire pressures for 12 years... a few more day/weeks won't hurt you
Well, that's true.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:02 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

I've got to say... the G/Z folks are truly good people!

In my YouTube comments, a guy asked if this works on a 370. I said that I think it should, as it is the same "08IT" nav unit, but I haven't tested it.
He orders the cable, follows the vides and now his 2012 370Z now has a working Tire Pressure menu!
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 09:25 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 220 Posts
I've got to say... the G/Z folks are truly good people!

In my YouTube comments, a guy asked if this works on a 370. I said that I think it should, as it is the same "08IT" nav unit, but I haven't tested it.
He orders the cable, follows the vides and now his 2012 370Z now has a working Tire Pressure menu!
I think the natural tendency for the G to share many components and subsystems with the 370Z makes both platforms more compelling. It also helps the aftermarket parts providers to justify the ROI required to invest in new solutions.
The following users liked this post:
MotorvateDIY (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:43 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got A-A cables in my USB stuff box, probably from cheap external HDD enclosures LOL. Any will do?
Old 09-27-2023, 01:13 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'm pretty sure I've got A-A cables in my USB stuff box, probably from cheap external HDD enclosures LOL. Any will do?
Correct!
Old 09-27-2023, 07:40 PM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I can't seem to generate the generic debug file. When I create and save the txt file it does not give me the option to remove the 'txt' extension. Will the nav unit still recognize the file if it is in the text document format? I have tried two different laptops and two different USB sticks and they save as a text document file and do not allow me to remove the txt extension.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by Muck_Man
I can't seem to generate the generic debug file. When I create and save the txt file it does not give me the option to remove the 'txt' extension. Will the nav unit still recognize the file if it is in the text document format? I have tried two different laptops and two different USB sticks and they save as a text document file and do not allow me to remove the txt extension.
From Windows Explorer, select the "View" control in the toolbar ribbon, then "Options".

From the Folder Options dialog window, navigate to the "View" tabpage.

Uncheck the checkbox labeled "Hide extensions for known file types".
Old 09-27-2023, 10:10 PM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

That worked. I knew you could fiddle around with file extensions but I never really had the need to until today.

Thanks for the tip
Old 09-28-2023, 07:40 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
From Windows Explorer, select the "View" control in the toolbar ribbon, then "Options".

Old 09-28-2023, 08:20 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Thank you for the quick tech support!
Old 09-28-2023, 08:20 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

That worked. I knew you could fiddle around with file extensions but I never really had the need to until today.
Thanks for the tip
Soooo, how did it go? Do you now have a tire pressure menu?
Old 09-28-2023, 08:38 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Coolant Temp, Transmission Temp and Oil Temp/pressure all on one digital guage cluster would be awesome.
The 370Z guys would also be interested, as well as the Q folks as I'm assuming that it would be portable somewhat to the Q as well.
It works on the 370
DIY: Enable the Tire Pressure Menu - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 09-28-2023, 02:06 PM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

Soooo, how did it go? Do you now have a tire pressure menu?
I still have to track down the USB cable. I haven't been able to find one. Best Buy wanted $20 for one so thats a nope and I live in the middle of Canada so Amazon will be a couple of days. I will probably get around to it this weekend.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:24 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

I still have to track down the USB cable. I haven't been able to find one. Best Buy wanted $20 for one so thats a nope and I live in the middle of Canada so Amazon will be a couple of days. I will probably get around to it this weekend.
If your laptop has USB C ports, the standard USB C to USB A cable will also work.

Quick Reply: How to Enable the G37 Tire Pressure Menu!