PLEASE HELP! Failed Inspection - Leaking Front Right Strut

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 01:51 PM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP! Failed Inspection - Leaking Front Right Strut

All,

I could really use your help again. I just moved back with my parents to help with the bills as they lost their jobs due to COVID. I went to do the State Inspection due to "Front Right Strut leaking fluid, there is much buildup of dirt on the strut". I need to take care of this within the next 3 days as my tags are expiring soon from old state and need to pass inspection to get new tags/title. My car is a 2013 G37X Sedan, 61k miles and bone stock.

I have attached pictures of the strut. It does look super dirty compared to the other side. I did try pushing each side down and very slightly the "bad" side does have more of a bounce but very subtle. I did hit a monster pot hole 5-6 weeks ago, that also resulting in having to repair the passenger rear tire due to sidewall damage. I have attached pictures of the bad strut and the good strut. Does the assessment appear to be accurate?

If so, my neighbor said he'll help me install them. They both recommended KYB all in one. The shop also recommended sway bar links, however my neighbor feels that if it's not broken then don't fix it as otherwise they would have also failed the sway bar link during the inspection which makes sense.

I know I will have to replace the struts as a pair. Do you think I should also replace the sway bar links for the front? If so, what brand and how about end links? Any other parts I need while I'm doing the work, such as mounts or certain screws? Should I KYB bellows too? Can I use the original spring or should I get a replacement? I want to keep this car for life. Finally, would I need an alignment after any of this work?

Pictures:

FR Strut, Bad?

LR Strut, Good.

Thanks!

Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 09-11-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:28 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
I have KYB, and I am lowered so they are holding up pretty well. You can get them for a really good price from RockAuto, and they come with warranty as well. You can use your old springs no need to get new ones. Check the rubber mounts that is on top and below the springs make sure they are not torn. You can replace the upper strut mounts if you are hearing noise when turning the wheel if not you can reuse the original, I reused mine since they were still good. Sway bar end links can be inspected for any movement such as an up and down. If you have any movement up and down or in and out I would suggest replacing as it will start to make clicking noise when driving slowly. I have Moog sway bar end links and they have been great, and they are grease-able can get it on RockAuto and comes with warranty. There is videos on youtube on how to test out the end links. I would also recommend a alignment as it can affect the suspension a bit and cause some changes to your camber and toe since you're replacing it with new parts, but sometimes it is not required. I would suggest getting a new strut bracket bolt since yours is rusted and just to have it while doing the job just incase something happens to it during the process of taking it out. You can go too the dealership and get this bolt it is usually $5-$7.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (02-08-2022)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 AM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you for response. I decided to order Moog Strut Mounts just to be safe. How long did the job take you to do?

For others that will come across this thread. Below is a diagram for the various bolts on the G37 AWD, where you can search for the code https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com to get full part number:

I ended up ordering the following bolts/nuts. Ordered 2x of each since I am doing both sides:

2x 56127-EG00B - Front Upper Bolt
2x 56127-AQ31A - Front Lower Bolt
2x 01225-00072 - Front Lower Bolt Nut

Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 09-12-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
Yes those are the correct bolts. It took me almost the whole day since I was doing it alone, but if you have someone helping you out I would say 2-4hr if everything goes smoothly. But, this was also my first time doing any suspension work on any car.