Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Dead Spot In Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 05:27 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Dead Spot In Steering

I feel like I'm going crazy because of this dead spot in my steering. When I turn the wheel there will be some movement before the wheels actually turn. It mostly happens when turning left, but will do it to the right as well but not as often. I also noticed today when going straight and possibly over some bump in the road the wheel turned backed to center without moving the wheels.

I recently had a clutch job done but I wouldn't think that would cause this to start happening, but between that and being sick I didn't drive for almost 2 weeks. I thought initially I was getting motion sick from driving while sick but there definitely has to be something wrong with the steering.

I noticed the power steering fluid was low, so I topped it up for now before I get to flush it this weekend. Even topped the steering feels sloppy. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction since I can't find any other threads even just searching "power steering".
Old 02-21-2020, 06:02 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Question is why the fluid was low. I don't think a clutch job entails touching the rackż?

Once refilled, does the level stay put (cold)? You could try bleeding the p/s system. Turning the wheel lock to lock a few times usually is enough.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamBritt
When I turn the wheel there will be some movement before the wheels actually turn. It mostly happens when turning left, but will do it to the right as well but not as often. .
When the clutch was replaced, the mechanic *might* have loosened the bolt on the steering shaft universal joint to move it out of the way.

Try this:
• While standing outside the car reach in and turn the steering wheel 4-5" in each direction WHILE looking at the front tires.
You should see a direct correlation, between what you see and the motion of the wheel.

If there is some free play or if you hear a "metal tick" or "tap" type sound the steering rack might be bad, or that universal joint might be loose.

If you want to have a look at the steering shaft universal joint, jack up the front of the car and remove the front left wheel.
Follow the tie rod to the rack and pinion.
If you look through the opening at the back part of the wheel well, you will be able to see where the steering shaft joins to the steering rack.

Since there might be something loose in your steering, minimize (or only drive back to the shop) your driving until a cause is determined.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:55 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. @Jsolo I think the fluid was low just from probably never having been changed or topped off since the car was built in 2010. I think @SonicVQ is on to something with the steering shaft being loose. I'm going to jack it up tomorrow so I can change and flush the power steering fluid easily so hopefully I can check some things then, but I'm definitely going to call the shop Monday to say something and bring it back in.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:25 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
I think SonicVQ is on to something as well
The following users liked this post:
AdamBritt (02-22-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
No real flushing suction out as much atf fluid out of ps reservoir with turkey baster and refill with atf fluid. Do this again a week later. DONT USE PS FLUID OR PS LEAK STOP
Old 02-23-2020, 09:38 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I never had good luck with turkey basters. I use a medical grade syringe to suck out as much as possible. Refill to proper level, start car, turn lock to lock slowly several times. Repeat. I think it took me 3 such cycles to go through a quart of fluid. Also, I had card board under the wheels to make it easier to turn.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:53 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I never had good luck with turkey basters. I use a medical grade syringe to suck out as much as possible. Refill to proper level, start car, turn lock to lock slowly several times. Repeat. I think it took me 3 such cycles to go through a quart of fluid. Also, I had card board under the wheels to make it easier to turn.
I tape up the bulb to lessen any leak , when I can get my mom or dr friends to give me 100cc syringes with tube I use those. Also using old spray bottle works, put spray nozzle into fluid and spray into the bottle
Old 02-24-2020, 06:22 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Garage called me a little bit ago and said the steering rack was loose and had about 1/8" of play in it. After tightening that he said it feels better so hopefully it'll be back to normal for me tomorrow.

When I was researching this problem initially I did find a lot of discussion for how to flush the power steering fluid I have a little hand pump for bleeding the brakes that I'm going to try. I'm hoping the tubing will be enough like a syringe to get in the corners of the reservoir but we'll see.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AdamBritt
Garage called me a little bit ago and said the steering rack was loose and had about 1/8" of play in it. After tightening that he said it feels better so hopefully it'll be back to normal for me tomorrow.

When I was researching this problem initially I did find a lot of discussion for how to flush the power steering fluid I have a little hand pump for bleeding the brakes that I'm going to try. I'm hoping the tubing will be enough like a syringe to get in the corners of the reservoir but we'll see.
just suction as much as you can and refill with atf. Then do it again a week later. Color should be cherry red
Old 03-14-2020, 12:30 AM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Did they pull the tie rods off and jiggle them to see if there is some play in them (outer AND inner)??
Old 03-14-2020, 03:58 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
If you look at the steering rack below the driver side, you will see a big bolt on the steering rack all you have to do it tighten it a bit until you feel pressure from the bolt. It will reduce the play in the steering wheel and make it more direct. Just do not over tighten it, I did mine 10k miles ago and turned the bolt by 1/4 and the steering wheel feels amazing and no issues at all.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:05 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AARONHL
Did they pull the tie rods off and jiggle them to see if there is some play in them (outer AND inner)??
I doubt it. When I got it back in it was two weeks after I picked it up and they were nice enough to get me on the schedule the day when I called. They got it done the same day so I'm sure they only tightened the steering rack bolt that Said Amir mentioned. There is still some looseness when turning to the left but it's barely noticeable especially compared to before although it still bothers me. I am thinking about calling the local Nissan dealership since they would hopefully know what to look for and maybe they can do an alignment since my guy doesn't and the wheel is off center to the left a little when cruising straight. I had to pack up my garage due to moving out so I don't have any tools or place to do a more thorough check myself; hopefully I can find a place soon.