Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Still no power steering after rack and pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 01:20 AM
jsan370gt
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still no power steering after rack and pump replacement

What am I missing? I replaced both rack and pump and i still dont have power steering. I bled the system by turning lock to lock with the wheels up and still nothing.

08 G37S Coupe w/o rear active steering
Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
You replaced the hydraulic side of the system, but did you even check the electronic side of the system before replacing components? The following shows the electronic side of the power steering system which could be the root problem:

From my understanding, if the solenoid valve does not open, power assist will not be applied.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-10-2019, 11:47 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
did you get a reputable part? factory reman or some piece of junk from o'sh itty or perhaps autoc rap? i wouldn't trust salvage yard p/s pumps very much either since they usually sit dry for a long time or get water in them. i believe the factory p/s pump is a hitachi, so stick with a good reman as the parts from the mainstream autoparts stores are just plain garbage half the time. i don't believe its an electrical issue as this is an hydraulic p/s sys and the purpose of the power steering solenoid valve is not to engage or disengage the steering rack. the purpose of the solenoid valve is to regulate low or high fluid flow at low or high speeds.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Rooster Tail
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My understand is that you still get some assist even when that solenoid valve isn't being supplied power. At least it feels that way to me. If there was no boost at all, the effort to turn the steering wheel would feel the same as if the engine is off.

I would first check the fuse. Then check to see if the rack solenoid was hooked up. Then the voltages/wires at the control module. That should narrow it down to where the fault is.

Edit: I see it was an old Post. Did you fix it? What was the problem?
Old 01-10-2020, 10:17 PM
jsan370gt
Registered Member

I installed another pump and it worked for a couple days then went out again. This is the 2nd time that happens.

Here's my new theory.

The original pump that failed broke internally. The vanes broke into pieces and went into the lines.

I have installed 2 replacement pumps, and they work for the first couple days after being installed, but end up breaking due to the restricted pressure line.

I removed the lines to check for clogs and one of the high pressure lines seems kind of hard to blow through. I went to an auto parts to check out the same line and see how hard it would be to blow through it. The one from the auto parts was def way easier to blow through.

I am now going to replace the high pressure line along with another pump.

I am almost 100% sure it will be good after that. It does not seem to be anything electrical.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Rooster Tail
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
They make cheap filters that you can install on the low pressure/return to reservoir line. It'll pick up any debris that will ruin the line and the rack over time.

Edit: amazon link to filters
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=power+steering+filter&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=power+steering+filter&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Old 04-25-2020, 01:51 PM
jsan370gt
Registered Member

So my issue was that i replaced the pump, and left the old steering rack on, then i put the old pump and relplaced the steering rack.

I never replaced both at the same time. Once I did that my power steering came back.

Thanks for the help guys.

Just as a note, my rack and pinion had gotten clogged so any pump I would put in would break due to high pressure.