Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Rear brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Rear brake issue

Curious if anyone has had a similar issue:

I recently replaced my rear rotors and brake pads they were getting low and started squealing. The fronts were ok to the point I have 75% pad left.

Anyway its been a few thousand miles and my brakes have been screaming. Since I replaced the rears completely I assumed the front were the issue. Brought it into Firestone and everything checked out fine yesterday, with the exception of some rust in the front rotors which the tech said could be the issue.

Today after driving a bit I smelled excessive brake pad/dust after exiting the car. I walked to the driver rear and could smell it strongest there, touched the rotor and damn near burned the skin off my finger.

Not sure what it could be? The brake is not engaged, not sure if it is dragging or how to tell since we checked on the lift last night.

Anyone experience this and or have any idea's?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Jack the rear and try to rotate the wheels with the gear in neutral. You will encounter some resistance (due to diff/trans) but it should rotate rather freely.

Sound like you got a stuck caliper or parking brake. Was the other side hot too? Gas mileage gone down? Change in braking feel - car pulls, shimmies, pedal vibrates, etc..?

The rotors will be hot after braking, but they should be equally hot (on both sides). You shouldn't be smelling any brake smell unless braking aggressively recently.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:43 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
At the time I had only checked the left front and Left rear. Rear was much hotter to the point I burned my finger tip. Front was hot but not scorching.

The parking brake from inside the car is disengaged and no brake light. I wouldn't think it dragging.

Only thing I can think of is caliper pin sticking causing drag, I dunno.