Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Vibrating/humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Good news to report. They replaced the PS reservoir under the TSB. Noise is gone.

As an added benefit, the car no longer whines at operating temperature while driving/shifting in lower gears. I'm sure it whined in higher gears too, but not as audible because of faster speeds/road noise.

This was an issue that's long bothered me early on since getting the car. Back then test drove few others cars which made the same noise (thought to be trans related).
The following users liked this post:
OnlyNismo (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 05:40 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Good news to report. They replaced the PS reservoir under the TSB. Noise is gone.

As an added benefit, the car no longer whines at operating temperature while driving/shifting in lower gears. I'm sure it whined in higher gears too, but not as audible because of faster speeds/road noise.

This was an issue that's long bothered me early on since getting the car. Back then test drove few others cars which made the same noise (thought to be trans related).

I forgot how quiet the car was until I got this fixed.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:22 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
PS reservoir huh? Sweet, I'll bring it up.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:07 AM
CSHayward
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jsolo,

I have had a whining noise similar to the original posters video. It occurs when I am moving at lower speeds and turning, it is also affected by acceleration.

My '13 G37 IPL has been doing this since I bought it a little over a year ago. It has 25,000 miles, 5k since I have owned it. No issues with steering or performance or any other part of car.

My question is, Was the new power steering reservoir they replaced on your car different from the stock reservoir? or did they simply use a new one.I am trying to figure out if there is a new design or if I should just buy a new OEM one.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2021, 12:15 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

There was a tsb for this. Visually both reservoir's looked the same according to the tech. I suspect something in side was different or the hose connections had different diameters than original.

I found two tsb's. Mine was done under the 12-035 IIRC.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB12-035.pdf

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB14-014.pdf

What im still puzzled by is why a ps reservoir costs hundreds of dollar?!@#
Old 03-15-2021, 12:54 PM
CSHayward
Registered Member

There was a tsb for this. Visually both reservoir's looked the same according to the tech. I suspect something in side was different or the hose connections had different diameters than original.

I found two tsb's. Mine was done under the 12-035 IIRC.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB12-035.pdf

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB14-014.pdf

What im still puzzled by is why a ps reservoir costs hundreds of dollar?!@#
Jsolo,

Thanks for the quick response. I will look into getting the redesigned power steering reservoir, but agreed, it is way to expensive.

Do you think there is any issue with the power steering pump? Could I have damaged it by driving with air/whine ? I have driven it with the whine for over a year now, no issues with steering though.

Trying to decide if I should replaced the pump, reservoir or both?

Old 03-15-2021, 05:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I drove my car for 3 years before the part was replaced. Sold the car 4 years later with no steering issues.

Mine made the whining noise louder when turning the wheel slightly from off center. Sort of like morning sickness in fwd cars. Otherwise it was just a consistent whine, similar to a super charger.

If your symptoms are similar and there's no steering leaks, I'd start with the reservoir.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:55 AM
CSHayward
Registered Member

I drove my car for 3 years before the part was replaced. Sold the car 4 years later with no steering issues.

Mine made the whining noise louder when turning the wheel slightly from off center. Sort of like morning sickness in fwd cars. Otherwise it was just a consistent whine, similar to a super charger.

If your symptoms are similar and there's no steering leaks, I'd start with the reservoir.
Jsolo,

Thanks agin for the quick reply. I think I will start with just the reservoir. I agree, its crazy how expensive it is for just a plastic container. It costs almost as much as the power steering pump itself, for OEM.

I think I may go with a new Cardone brand replacement from one of the auto shops. It is supposed to be the same spec and its half the price. I usually always go OEM but for a non crucial part like this and with the OEM being so expensive, I think this is a good option. It says direct fit for 2013 IPL. ( buying from auto store may give me the option to return the reservoir too if it turns out it is the pump)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...g%20reservoirs

Do you know of an reason why I shouldn't get the cardone reservoir or why it is important to stick with OEM for this application?

Thanks again for your opinion and advice.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:31 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

No, clue. I suppose make sure they have a good return policy.