Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Mbaseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)

Hello all

I've done tons, and tons of searching. I'm cross eyed and have spent weeks looking at this stuff. Here's my situation:

2015 Q60S Limited 6MT (RWD - coupe)

I want to get rid of the wheel gap, but do not want to ruin my ride quality, or at least minimize the difference in quality from the stock S.

I'm on the stock 19's (225/245), but want to go for larger tires when the time comes, but for now I have to burn through these tires first!

I started by considering lowering springs, Swift or Eibach PK seemed to be legit options, as I don't want to slam the car. Just want to minimize the wheel gap. But I am scared to imagine how poor the ride quality may be. Reading too many horror stories from people who say don't waste your money lowering on springs alone, do it right with coilovers.

I'm not on a large budget though by any means, but would prefer to not waste money doing something like springs, and then feel obligated to do coilovers in the not too distant future.

Is there a chance that coilovers would make my car too low, even at the highest settings? Again, I don't want to slam the car. I just want to get a better stance and minimize the lifted truck look that doesn't belong on a sporty coupe. I'm coming from a C6 Z06, so I'm OK with a stiffer ride, but I don't want a s**tty ride. I bought the luxury car and want to enjoy it!

I like the idea of the KW V1's, since I can adjust the height and not have to worry about messing around trying to adjust more than that. I have heard good things about the Stance SS coilovers too.

This site has so much great information, but you get confused quickly by different opinions.

Thoughts?

P.S.- Then the question will become do I want/need spacers to make the wheels more flush, as well as the camber and toe kits to help my alignment stay in spec. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Tein is another good option for coilovers. Have a set and I'm very happy with the quality. The range of height adjustment is very good too. But yes I do hear the down side of kw is the drop.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 PM
FXG37S

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I initially installed Eibachs springs on my '11 sedan, the ride was not bad. I was just not happy with the rear sitting lower than the front. I recently installed ISC coilovers and I'm extremely happy with the results. I set the ride height exactly were I wanted and damping adjustments are clicks away. I also added wheel spacers all the way around, 19" coupe wheels were just sunk in with the mild Eibach drop.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Mbaseman

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I've read some stories about the Tein CO's getting sloppy over time. I need something that will last a long time! (If possible)

I'm very scared of spending this much money and not getting something that meets expectations. I am afraid to get stuck with too low of a drop as well as something with poor ride quality, whether immediately or even a few years down the road.

Maybe I've read too many threads...

It's hard to find examples of people showing off their CO's with a mild/mid drop! Everyone I see loves to show off how low they can go! Lol (which is fine, it's an aggressive look, just not what I'm shooting for)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
KWv1 FTW
Old 01-10-2015, 12:17 AM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
My ride on KW V1's

So this my ride on KW V1's. I have never driven a lowered car until now and i am honestly surprised with the comfort of my set up (I too have read the horror stories). I have absolutely no regrets. It is comfortable and I haven't scraped anything yet (might go a tad lower). You can feel bumps in the road a little more, though it is not very pronounced or anything to worry about, I give this set-up a .I am not quite at the highest setting, I think I am 1.5" lower in the front and about 1" lower in the rear (just a mild drop). All alignment values in the green with SPC.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

And I can't wait to install these...would have made the above pictures so much nicer

Last edited by MidlifeCrisis; 02-09-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
If you don't want to sacrifice ride quality by a large amount go with KW with your eyes closed,it offers the best balance of ride quality with improved handling. Nothing else even comes close.
As for the rears being too low, I have heard that as well but the poster above does not seem to be that low in the back.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:25 AM
MidlifeCrisis

A few more pics....in case you haven't decided yet. Had to do it.

This Pic is one of my fav's. That's not too low...KW V1's will do you just fine!

No... You're not on shrooms, just a color filter.

Drop your ride before buying wheels...now I need spacers or new wheels.

And one photo with no effects added.

Last edited by MidlifeCrisis; 02-09-2015 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Great pics MC, you've got the height set just fine!
Those new stoppers will look awesome.
MidlifeCrisis (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Mbaseman

Thanks for all the pics midlife. The car looks great! That's basically the height I'm looking to go. Are you as high as possible on the rears to get that look?
Old 01-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Name:  IMAG0002_1_zps2dac8725.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  168.5 KB

This is how my car sits currently on KW V1. As I've said before the ride is incredible, you cannot go wrong. But the car does sit pretty low and needs adjustment. It is good for me because it is a little higher than my h&r springs which were too low.

There was a thread I found where guys were seating the rear springs on top of a rubber cone sort of thing that comes with the stock suspension. That gives you the ability to have the back raised a little which should make a world of difference. I did it as well and it made the rear sit the way it should.

Maybe some one else can chime in on the part as I don't have pictures of it. But I will look for the thread and get the pic for you.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Nothin2Somethin
This is how my car sits currently on KW V1. As I've said before the ride is incredible, you cannot go wrong. But the car does sit pretty low and needs adjustment. It is good for me because it is a little higher than my h&r springs which were too low.

There was a thread I found where guys were seating the rear springs on top of a rubber cone sort of thing that comes with the stock suspension. That gives you the ability to have the back raised a little which should make a world of difference. I did it as well and it made the rear sit the way it should.

Maybe some one else can chime in on the part as I don't have pictures of it. But I will look for the thread and get the pic for you.
Nice shot, I adjusted my coils about your height and much better than my B&G springs, which like the H&Rs are too low for easy daily driving. That 1/2" makes a huge difference

Here's that thread for raising the rear height a bit~
My 09 G37xS (AWD) Lowered on Tanabe - Droopy Bum fix too!(PICS) - G35Driver
Nothin2Somethin (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Mbaseman

Great stuff here. Thank you everyone.

But I'm still a little worried about the rear going too low on the kw v1. Plus they are certainly not cheap by any means.

I'm on shocks with less than 500 miles so far. Should I go for springs and hope for the best?

Or does anyone know if Tein or Stance or Tanabe coilovers have a less significant drop at their highest settings?

The more I read, the more I get confused. Sorry
Old 01-10-2015, 06:59 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Originally Posted by Mbaseman
Thanks for all the pics midlife. The car looks great! That's basically the height I'm looking to go. Are you as high as possible on the rears to get that look?

The rears are not quite at the highest setting, I think it could be raised another 1/2 inch. When I get my brakes installed, I'll ask my mechanic how much higher they could go.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Originally Posted by Nothin2Somethin

Completely agree .
Nothin2Somethin (01-11-2015)

Quick Reply: KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)