Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think most guys run 245/40 and 275/35s on the stock 19" wheels as the overall height is really close to stock.

Lowering your car will tuck your wheels in.

If you don't want to swallow the cost of new wheels and tires, spacers would be the easy solution. I'd go ahead and get whatever coilovers you want, then determine the spacer size.
Good plan^^
If your budget only allows to keep your current rims at stock height for the near future those sizes work well and spacers will give it a tight look. Get tires first then determine if & what size spacers you'll need.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Mbaseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on the coilovers! I went with Tanabe and I truly hope that I won't regret that decision. I really wanted to go KW, but I was concerned about the rear heights from other posters. Although, there were a few who claimed to have no issues. I was on the fence and made a 50/50 decision. I got a very good deal on the Tanabe's ($850 shipped).

I'll post some pics once they finally get installed.

Should I order camber kits now or wait and see?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:12 PM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mbaseman
I finally pulled the trigger on the coilovers! I went with Tanabe and I truly hope that I won't regret that decision. I really wanted to go KW, but I was concerned about the rear heights from other posters. Although, there were a few who claimed to have no issues. I was on the fence and made a 50/50 decision. I got a very good deal on the Tanabe's ($850 shipped).

I'll post some pics once they finally get installed.

Should I order camber kits now or wait and see?

In your situation, I would wait and see. You sound like you won't go that low. If you can't get your values in the green, then buy them. You might just need the front or rear and not both.

BTW, next time I visit family in Fla. we have to meet up and compare ride quality of our choices!

Last edited by MidlifeCrisis; 02-12-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Mbaseman

^^^for sure. Unless you are a serial killer. LOL
DOMO
Old 02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
MidlifeCrisis

^^^for sure. Unless you are a serial killer. LOL
DOMO
You found me out...now I must reconsider my options. I troll around the car forums looking for my next victim. I work with a complicated point system. I assign point values according to responses given by forum members. Once that forum member makes a decision on any particular product, I then multiply those points by the number of days I have been in contact with that forum member. Finally, on a quarterly basis, I review my white board to find out who is in the lead with the most points.

Post some pics and a review once you get those Tanabe's installed.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:30 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I have tanabe's and for the most part like them.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Mbaseman

Midlife - you have either been watching way too many strange TV shows, or you have simply perfected your art. Either way, good job! LOL

I'll make sure to post my initial comments and pics once I get them installed.

On a side note, I was wondering your thoughts on the following:

Is $1500 for the OEM aero kit painted and installed a good enough deal to consider? This would all be done by my dealership. Rear, sides and front, including fog lights and conversion. Seems worthwhile to consider.

Thoughts on the OEM aero kit compared to the newer model "S" look?

(I think my front bumper looks like a panting dog's tongue, but maybe I'm crazy)
Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Midlife - you have either been watching way too many strange TV shows, or you have simply perfected your art. Either way, good job! LOL

I'll make sure to post my initial comments and pics once I get them installed.

On a side note, I was wondering your thoughts on the following:

Is $1500 for the OEM aero kit painted and installed a good enough deal to consider? This would all be done by my dealership. Rear, sides and front, including fog lights and conversion. Seems worthwhile to consider.

Thoughts on the OEM aero kit compared to the newer model "S" look?

(I think my front bumper looks like a panting dog's tongue, but maybe I'm crazy)
$1,500 Aero kit painted and installed is an excellent price for the whole kit. I know the dealership will offer that package when you purchase the car, I did not take that deal at the time. I bought the kit pre-painted piece by piece. This can get quite expensive if you do not wait for the sales that Nissan/Infiniti have once in a while when they want to clear inventory. For instance, I paid around $1,500 total for the OEM front, rear, and sides Aero/IPL kit. I think now the front bumper alone is going for $1,300-$1,600. I have yet to purchase the OEM painted spoiler because the price is around $580 for such a small piece of plastic (I paid less for the rear bumper!).

However, I know the unpainted parts are cheaper. One thing to think about is, if you buy the kit from the dealer, will they be able to match the color exactly? If they are getting the kit pre-painted from Nissan/Infiniti, I would say go for it. If they are going to have a body shop paint them, the color may not match perfectly. Or maybe the color will match just fine...roll of the dice.

As for my thoughts on IPL/Aero compared to the newer "S" bumper, taste is subjective and it really doesn't matter what I think. I don't like the sport model bumper though. The area around the fog lights just doesn't look right to me. With that said, everyone has their own idea of what looks good and if someone says they like the sport bumper, I won't argue with that. I'm sure I've done things to my car that others on here might not like. I'm the one driving it so I guess it only matters if I like it and everyone should feel the same about their own rides.

If you like the IPL look then get it. There are other options out there as well. It's possible to keep the bumper you have, then have aftermarket parts molded to it that completely change the look of the bumper and car as a whole. I actually like one of these options, though I didn't want to deal with the aftermarket paint not matching. This is why I went with factory painted OEM parts. I have a mild case of OCD with paint , it would drive me nuts if the painted bumper didn't match up. This OCD with paint is so bad that I can tell the difference between paint that was sprayed on metal and plastic even if it is OEM from the factory (most people don't even notice).
Old 02-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis
In your situation, I would wait and see. You sound like you won't go that low. If you can't get your values in the green, then buy them. You might just need the front or rear and not both.

BTW, next time I visit family in Fla. we have to meet up and compare ride quality of our choices!
I went from tanabe sustec to kW v1 with all other mods the exact same.
I can say the ride quality is much better with the kW. Immediate noticeable difference, even put a buddy in the car without informing about the change and the ride quality difference was soon picked up.
As far as handling goes, I can't comment as I am yet to get an alignment but improve,wnt in ride quality alone makes it worth it.
The rears are too damn low though with the kW on highest setting.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 AM
MidlifeCrisis

Originally Posted by Presto
I went from tanabe sustec to kW v1 with all other mods the exact same.
I can say the ride quality is much better with the kW. Immediate noticeable difference, even put a buddy in the car without informing about the change and the ride quality difference was soon picked up.
As far as handling goes, I can't comment as I am yet to get an alignment but improve,wnt in ride quality alone makes it worth it.
The rears are too damn low though with the kW on highest setting.
I don't understand why everyone says the rears are too low on the highest setting with the KW V1's. I have an inch between tire and fender (see picture in a previous post of mine) and I am not at the highest setting. For all the people that say it's too low in the rear, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you think my car is too low in the rear in the pictures I have posted in this thread?
If your answer is "No" then see next question.

2. Are you installing them correctly on your vehicle?

3. Are there any stock design differences between 2013 models (the model I have) and whatever model year that you have?

Sorry I can't explain how mine were installed, I had a performance shop install them. Once I go on days off in 2 weeks, I will take off the rear tire and snap a photo of the set up for comparison with the folks complaining of theirs being too low.

Note: I will post here with the rear photo, the photo in my garage is of the front install, not rear.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Mbaseman

^^^midlife: your rear is far from too low. If I knew for a fact that your rear ride height was the standard, then I would have gone KW. Maybe others are not installing properly, but way too many have said their rears are very, very low. So that really concerned me.

Regarding the Aero kit, I haven't seen one in person yet to see if I like it enough to spend the money. They look good in most pictures though. I have seen some pictures of the rear bumper that make me wonder if the rear is worth it but I have to assume all of the pieces flow best when everything is on the car.

Hard to explain why sometimes I don't like the look of the rear but maybe it's just related to the pictures
Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 AM
MidlifeCrisis

^^^midlife: your rear is far from too low. If I knew for a fact that your rear ride height was the standard, then I would have gone KW. Maybe others are not installing properly, but way too many have said their rears are very, very low. So that really concerned me.

Regarding the Aero kit, I haven't seen one in person yet to see if I like it enough to spend the money. They look good in most pictures though. I have seen some pictures of the rear bumper that make me wonder if the rear is worth it but I have to assume all of the pieces flow best when everything is on the car.

Hard to explain why sometimes I don't like the look of the rear but maybe it's just related to the pictures
I drove around with just the Aero front and sides for about 7 months before buying the rear bumper and I don't think it looked bad. However, once I installed rear I fell in love with it. I also questioned the look of it before buying it.

If you don't like the IPL/Aero rear bumper you could always go with a rear diffuser. Other than that, I'm not to sure how many options are out there for the rear bumper. I've seen others get the Aero front and sides only and I don't think it looks too bad especially with a diffuser added.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:03 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Just ordered KW V1 through Luke at ThMotorsports.

Amazing deal. By far cheaper than everyone else.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post3940009
Old 08-13-2015, 06:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
Just ordered KW V1 through Luke at ThMotorsports.

Amazing deal. By far cheaper than everyone else.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post3940009
Nice score, look forward to pics, and Luke@THM is a good guy to deal with, always had great transactions through THM
Old 08-13-2015, 06:29 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice score, look forward to pics, and Luke@THM is a good guy to deal with, always had great transactions through THM
Looking forward to arrival and install as well.

Luke was good to deal with, professional and helpful.

Usually when a vendor says "price too low to list" it is BS, but this was actually a great price compared to everyone else.

Quick Reply: KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)