Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Coilovers are a tough component to cross-shop, everyone has a different opinion on what's firm, what height is good, etc. If you read reviews on almost any coilover set you'll get a fair amount of negative reviews along w/ the positives. Even the KWs have some ****** in their armor as far as noises, too low, etc.
My budget Megan LPs get decent reviews for the most part, I've got about 30k miles on mine now and still perform well, only a few minor creaks when I'm going up or down my steep drive (at an off-camber angle) at slow speeds.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...coilovers.html
At the end of the day about all you can do is sort through the reviews and make the best informed decision based on your budget and needs.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Mbaseman,
Where do you live? If you're not too far from me, you can test drive my car.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Mbaseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
33460 zip. Wpb area
Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 AM
MidlifeCrisis

Originally Posted by Mbaseman
33460 zip. Wpb area
I grew up in 33024, I miss it sometimes.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Mbaseman

I like South FL, but it's getting way too congested everywhere.

How do you like you KW V1's? Ride quality, height adjustability, etc?

You're not too low, I like that look. Did you require the camber kits or did you get them just to be on the safe side?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:58 AM
MidlifeCrisis

I like South FL, but it's getting way too congested everywhere.

I drove their last October, definately getting crowded. When I was a kid, Pembroke Pines consisted mostly of cow fields/pastures. Now there is not one plot of land that doesn't have some sort of building on it.

How do you like you KW V1's? Ride quality, height adjustability, etc?

These questions can be answered if you read my previous posts in this thread.

You're not too low, I like that look. Did you require the camber kits or did you get them just to be on the safe side?
I bought them to be on the safe side, I wasn't sure about how low I was going to go when I purchased the V1's.
The following users liked this post:
Mbaseman (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Buy once, cry once.

Start with CO so your not wasting your money when you decide to go to CO 3 months later.

Also, buy quality from the start, so you're happy with whatever you get and don't need to replace it sooner than expected.

Buy once, cry once.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Mbaseman

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Buy once, cry once.

Start with CO so your not wasting your money when you decide to go to CO 3 months later.

Also, buy quality from the start, so you're happy with whatever you get and don't need to replace it sooner than expected.

Buy once, cry once.
I agree with your logic and have pretty much been set on CO from the start, until I started worrying that some may force me to go too low, which may be something silly and completely false. I just don't know and don't want to purchase just to be unhappy with the height options.

When you say "buy quality" that's another part of the dilemna. What is "quality"? Is Tanabe not quality?

Without personal experience, it's hard for me to even determine what choices are quality and which ones are not.

Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2015, 09:44 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I agree with your logic and have pretty much been set on CO from the start, until I started worrying that some may force me to go too low, which may be something silly and completely false. I just don't know and don't want to purchase just to be unhappy with the height options.

When you say "buy quality" that's another part of the dilemna. What is "quality"? Is Tanabe not quality?

Without personal experience, it's hard for me to even determine what choices are quality and which ones are not.

Thoughts?
My post was meant as a general guideline for buying anything. If you get the best item from the start, you only cry once at the high price. If you cut a corner, you cry when it fails you, then you buy the right product and cry again.

So I can't comment on CO options, I'm not well versed in that.

Also, I know how to properly use "your" and "you're". I my post above, my phone's auto complete failed me. However 2 out of 3 isn't that bad...
Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
My post was meant as a general guideline for buying anything. If you get the best item from the start, you only cry once at the high price. If you cut a corner, you cry when it fails you, then you buy the right product and cry again.
Not necessarily true because some parts you can spend top dollar on and still come away feeling somewhat disappointed. Modding is all about compromise and you definitely learn that along the way with each platform you choose.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Not necessarily true because some parts you can spend top dollar on and still come away feeling somewhat disappointed. Modding is all about compromise and you definitely learn that along the way with each platform you choose.
Agree, like I said previously, even the products w/ the better reputations can be a letdown to some, and some that aren't highly regarded can get the job done just fine.
G/L sorting through it all and coming up w/ a product that satisfies
Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Mbaseman

Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Before I consider starting a new thread, maybe someone can help me figure out what size spacers and tires I should consider in the near future.

Does a wider tire give a wider look, or is the look determined by the width of the rim? Meaning, if I went up to 275 or 285 on my stock rim, would it appear wider than the stock 245? (What is the widest tire I can/should consider for the stock rim?)

I'm assuming tire width will directly effect spacer size choice, right? Also, the ride height needs to be considered as well, right?

Should I figure out the lowering problem first, then work on the spacers dilemna? Should I wait for wider tires? Do everything at once?

Sorry, I do search quite often but would love some specific advice.

I don't want to buy tires until mine are worn and ready to be replaced. But I do want to get the car looking a little cleaner. The stock height, offset and tire size really give this car an ugly stance. It almost appears as if my wheels have a positive camber and tuck in the wheel well way too much! \ --- /

Thoughts, advice, suggestions?
Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Before I consider starting a new thread, maybe someone can help me figure out what size spacers and tires I should consider in the near future.

Does a wider tire give a wider look, or is the look determined by the width of the rim? Meaning, if I went up to 275 or 285 on my stock rim, would it appear wider than the stock 245? (What is the widest tire I can/should consider for the stock rim?)

I'm assuming tire width will directly effect spacer size choice, right? Also, the ride height needs to be considered as well, right?

Should I figure out the lowering problem first, then work on the spacers dilemna? Should I wait for wider tires? Do everything at once?

Sorry, I do search quite often but would love some specific advice.

I don't want to buy tires until mine are worn and ready to be replaced. But I do want to get the car looking a little cleaner. The stock height, offset and tire size really give this car an ugly stance. It almost appears as if my wheels have a positive camber and tuck in the wheel well way too much! \ --- /

Thoughts, advice, suggestions?
If you're planning on new wheels in the near future I wouldn't invest in tires for your current wheels, just use that money towards your new set. Getting the proper offset once you're lowered will be better than worrying about spacers, and IMO a wider tire setup (w/ correct width rims) gives the car nice aggressive look and the wider back tires gives the G a nice planted feel.

So in short, I'd drop it, then get the new tires/wheels to be EXACTLY the fit you want, and I'm more than happy to help w/ wheel fitment when you're ready
Old 02-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Mbaseman

Thanks ^^^^ I just don't have the money to spend on new rims and tires. So I was hoping to make the best of the stock wheels for as long as possible.

Do you recommend against doing a wider tire and spacers? I know its not ideal. But the cost to lower and do rims is astronomical! At least to me, and it's hard to justify the added rim/tire expense on my car that just passed 1,000 miles. My wife might not notice the car being lowered a bit but she'll notice the new rims and the bill! LOL
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I think most guys run 245/40 and 275/35s on the stock 19" wheels as the overall height is really close to stock.

Lowering your car will tuck your wheels in.

If you don't want to swallow the cost of new wheels and tires, spacers would be the easy solution. I'd go ahead and get whatever coilovers you want, then determine the spacer size.

Quick Reply: KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)