Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:12 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I have Kw3 and the rear spring has been known to sag. A friend of mine sags more a lot more than mine. Not sure if its the same for the V1.

With that said, I love the coils. I know I'm comparing v1 to v3. Totally skip going springs. I had eibach pro kit and the ride was harsher compared to stock.

You want minimal drop and retain comfort? Look into fortune auto with custom swift springs.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Mbaseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to help explain some more of my confusion. I don't know what kind of drop I want. I do know that I don't want to be slammed. However, until i see a specific drop on my car, I won't know what looks best. For example, at first I was thinking the Eibach PK would be the ideal-ish drop. But then I think maybe just a tad a lower when I see some pics. But other pics seem to be perfect.

But it's hard to know without seeing a drop in person. And how different drops looks with different rims. I'm on the stock black IPL 19's that come with the limited version. So it's tough to compare to drops on custom rims.

I really think height adjustment is something that I need if I'm going to spend the money on lowering properly, that's why I would probably not consider the Koni + springs option. It would be different if that option was only slightly more expensive than just springs. But I'd prefer a coilover at that price point

I don't track the car but I don't plan on just rolling around "low and slow" either. I still drive spiritedly on a daily basis. Tanabe seems to be a solid option for the daily driver I believe.

Damn Internet makes these decisions virtually impossible as the more you research and study, the more mixed signals you pick up on.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 AM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mbaseman
Haven't decided yet. Kind of leaning towards Tanabe or KW V1. But still worried about the rear being too low. Can't decide right now...

I doubt the Koni + springs because it won't save me much money, if any. Would that give me height adjustability just like most of the coilovers?

For reference here are some #'s that might alleviate your fears about being too low in the rear with KW V1's or any other coilover:

G37 Coupe stock ride height (measured from level ground to highest point of fender): Front: 28.15" sport, 28.03" non sport Rear: 27.76" sport, 27.64" non sport

^^^^^These #'s taken from Black Betty's thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...-database.html

KW V1's claim that their drop in the rear can be between .2" to 1.8" lower source: https://tunerzstore.com/index.php?ro...product_id=126

^^^^ I would assume that this claim on ride height is based off the 370Z, since they were originally designed for that vehicle (I might be wrong , if anyone wants to correct me here, please do). So the #'s might not be the same for the G.

The mechanic that installed my coilovers told me I have another 1/4 inch if I wanted to raise the height in the rear (he works at a performance shop and has done numerous coilover installations, I trust his judgement). Though we did not test this, I am satisfied with the height I'm set at (actually, I might go 1/4" lower). The height of my rear drop would be considered a mild drop, IMO.
The following is a pic of my current drop in the rear (please note that car and ruler is on level ground and camera is tilted, not the ruler).

Assuming your ride height is the same as the sport model (not sure if the IPL is lower)-27.64"
My height 26.625"+ .25" = 26.875 (assumed highest setting) possibly more according to KW stats.

------------
.765 Difference from stock height in the rear with the KW V1's at the assumed highest setting (cannot confirm highest setting because I don't want my car that high).

I understand your concerns and obsessing over the smallest details (I have done this as well), there are a million different options out there and you want to make everything perfect for your situation. Hopefully these #'s help you out. If anyone spots a mistake in my math, please feel free to correct me (it's late as I write this).

You have voiced your concern numerous times with the V1 ride height in the back which would be roughly .75 of an inch difference from stock ride height (possibly less if you do the math with KW published stats). In my opinion if you are not going to drop your ride more than 3/4 of an inch, there is absolutely no reason to spend $$$$ on lowering your vehicle. If you dropped your ride 1/2", it would be barely noticeable and the cost to benefit ratio would make no sense. Just keep the height you have and enjoy your vehicle.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Mbaseman

^^^that is actually very good info, thank you!

I do want a decent drop, just not a forced low drop. I want to dial it in to the height that looks and performs best for my needs. I was hearing a MIN rear drop of about 1 inch, which is probably just fine, but it also borders being "too low". So if someone estimated and the 1 inch was slightly more, then yikes. But if it's slightly less, as you seem to claim, then it's probably just fine.

Now the thoughts have moved towards Tanabe + camber kit for the same price as the KW v1. I know you get what you pay for in life, but that's not always the case. Some products are priced higher to give the impression that they are better. Certainly not going to claim that for the KW's, as I have no experience, but more expensive doesn't always mean better.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Go for it. Drop that ish and post the pics already. Lol
Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Donnie's G37S
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too am Worried and confused. My G is sporting 20's 10's in the rear and 8.5's up front. also as stated i'm not looking to slam just looking to lower it. The complex on the way to my home has seven speed bumps each direction. looking at no more then 1 inch in the rear and 1 1/2 up front.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Donnie's G37S
I too am Worried and confused. My G is sporting 20's 10's in the rear and 8.5's up front. also as stated i'm not looking to slam just looking to lower it. The complex on the way to my home has seven speed bumps each direction. looking at no more then 1 inch in the rear and 1 1/2 up front.
You might be happy w/ just a mild spring like a Tein H Tech, Tanabe, Swift, or Eibach. But then again, you might not
Old 01-30-2015, 05:45 PM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Donnie's G37S View Post

Originally Posted by blnewt
You might be happy w/ just a mild spring like a Tein H Tech, Tanabe, Swift, or Eibach. But then again, you might not
I agree . Maybe, maybe not.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 AM
FXG37S

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Coilovers is the way to go. My car is much lower now with the coilovers, but rides much better than when I just had the Eibachs on stock shocks. My car is also a daily driver. Nothing wrong with being low, the only concern I would say to consider is snow if you live in the northern states. I really think KW V1 is probably your best bet, like I said before, there are other decent more affordable options out there to also consider.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 AM
taek

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't do springs only... I had Eibach pro springs 1.5inch front 1.2inch rear and the springs made the ride quality horrible.. ( if stock was 100% ride quality.. with springs it was like 50%) After that experience, i am now looking for either KW V1 or KW V3...
Old 02-05-2015, 01:20 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by taek
Don't do springs only... I had Eibach pro springs 1.5inch front 1.2inch rear and the springs made the ride quality horrible.. ( if stock was 100% ride quality.. with springs it was like 50%) After that experience, i am now looking for either KW V1 or KW V3...
I disagree with that statement. Comfort is subjective since there's no scientific way to measure. To me, Eibach was pretty good and still stockish but just firmer and more planted. I had no problems daily with it.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by taek
Springs and OE dampers aren't a great combination, especially if the shcoks have a lot of miles on them. Springs are just going to accelerate their wear.

Swifts + Knoi Yellows on full soft essentially rides like OE.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Mbaseman

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. We all appreciate it!

I am still debating what to do. I'm not in a rush and want to choose the right option. I am certainly leaning towards coilovers but I still don't know.

I was checking out Ark springs, which seem to go a little lower than eibach and people riding them seem to be very happy with the ride quality. However, I do believe ride quality is subjective, like stated above. Also, I'm really wondering if springs feel just fine at first, but over time start to get worse feeling. Maybe as the shocks get more stressed out, the ride quality deteriorates quickly?

I want something that I put on the car once and don't have to worry about for a long time (hopefully forever).

I am really torn right now and mainly debating the Tanabe vs KW V1. Money is always part of the debate, but the additional $500 over a long period of time is not that significant.

My main concerns are:

Ride Height control (and not being forced to go too low at the highest setting)
Ride Quality for a daily driver
Quality and Longevity of the system

I will be occasionally transporting my little one(s) in the car, so I really have to keep that in mind when making a decision. I personally don't mind a stiff feel, but I don't want to kill the ride quality and make it too harsh and unbearable for my little ones in car seats (or my wife).

It's a brand new car and I'll get murdered if I destroy it! Lol. But I need to drop it at least a little bit, if not more. Another reason why I want to go Coilovers, since I personally am not 100% committed to what type of drop will be best for me and my needs/wants.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Mbaseman, you might put these on your short list especially if price is a major factor, since they are JDM parts the quality is typically better than the other coilovers at the "budget" price point.
TEIN.com: STREET BASIS - PRODUCTS
Here's a review on the Z board
Anyone running Tein Basis? Reviews and opinions. - MY350Z.COM Forums
Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Mbaseman

Blnewt- thanks for continuing to offer suggestions and guidance. I spent sometime looking into those, and other Tein coilovers. My "fear" with the Basis were that you get what you pay for and those are very inexpensive. That doesn't mean they are not quality though. But I started thinking to myself "if good springs alone are $300-ish, then how good can the Basis shocks really be?"

I also read a lot of Tein reviews, and most people commented that the ride was very firm and stiff, especially for a daily driver. Who knows for sure I guess, but I was scared by the low price point and figured perhaps the Tanabe's would be better since they are more expensive. (Trust me, I know that price does not always tell the entire story though)

Keep the input coming. I will now give Basis a more serious consideration.

Quick Reply: KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)