Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mbaseman
Great stuff here. Thank you everyone.

But I'm still a little worried about the rear going too low on the kw v1. Plus they are certainly not cheap by any means.

I'm on shocks with less than 500 miles so far. Should I go for springs and hope for the best?

Or does anyone know if Tein or Stance or Tanabe coilovers have a less significant drop at their highest settings?

The more I read, the more I get confused. Sorry

My thoughts are that if you go springs with stock shocks:

1. You might not be happy with the ride quality because those parts were not designed to work with each other as a whole. Height, spring rates, etc. This thought is based off of reading members testimonials about having to replace shocks a few months after installing lower springs.

2. Once you slap on those springs you are stuck with the ride height given. Oh, you would like the your ride to sit 1/4 inch higher...too bad you have springs. Also, you might change your mind on your optimal ride height. When I first started modding my car, I told myself that I would NEVER lower my car. I always had the idea in my head of a slammed Honda Civic with a fart can exhaust when I heard people talking about lowering their car. My thoughts were changed when I saw that it could be done tastefully without taking away from my comfort and actually adding to the vehicle's performance.

3. You will actually save money by choosing coilovers first. This opinion is based off of quite a few members on here that choose to get springs first. Most of them change their mind and get coilovers once they realize that they don't like the springs they bought. So if you choose coilovers first you will save money on install labor (pay once, not twice for the install, unless you do the work yourself) and it is next to impossible to sell a used part for what you paid for it (unless it's a high end part that is difficult to get).
Old 01-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Mbaseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^that's generally been my mindset as well, just want to choose the right coilover for my needs, and don't want to purchase something that I will regret i.e.- something that is too low at its highest setting OR terrible ride quality/durability.

How long will a decent CO last? Same as stock setup if done right?
Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 AM
MidlifeCrisis

^^^^that's generally been my mindset as well, just want to choose the right coilover for my needs, and don't want to purchase something that I will regret i.e.- something that is too low at its highest setting OR terrible ride quality/durability.

How long will a decent CO last? Same as stock setup if done right?
Maybe someone else can chime in on that answer, I'm not sure, I haven't researched that.

However, I went with KW for their reputation. Also, KW is one of the only companies that is certified by the German Technical Control Board (TUV). For all I know this could be just fancy words to make me feel better about my purchase. I would imagine that the CO's (KW) would last longer than a stock suspension. When Infiniti designs their suspension they have to keep cost in consideration, which in my mind tells me that they won't use the highest quality components to keep cost down. Aftermarket companies that manufacture suspensions focus their attention mainly on the suspension system itself and not a million other things. I would imagine if their main focus is one particular system, they will engineer the crap out of it (may not be the case with all companies, but I would guess most companies will want to make a good product for continued business).

I'm not trying to sell you on KW, though I am completely happy with this purchase in all areas. It might be a little pricey, though it is less expensive the a good quality CO that is fully adjustable. I have zero complaints about comfort with the V1's. If i had the ability to adjust rebound or compression, I wouldn't change a thing. I think KW did a good job with the V1's. Browse other car forums to get opinions on the KW V1's, most users have good things to say about them.

All I can say is do your research on the different companies out there and see which one gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling and go for it. After all, you can always keep the stock parts in case you are unhappy with any particular set-up.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
You can also have the KWs rebuilt if & when the time comes, although the turnaround time for that would be quite awhile. Would be good if you could be without your ride for a few weeks.
I agree w/ Midlife, the "better" aftermarket suspension companies make products designed for much harsher driving conditions than what OEM parts are designed for. The parts are built to withstand higher heat, more prolonged compression cycles and more severe compression. This should result in a much longer shelf life for a vehicle driven as a daily driver w/ occasional tracking/spirited drives.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:05 PM
FXG37S

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
All very good and valuable advice posted above. I spent almost $300 on just springs, took them off 3 months later. Now they are just sitting in the garage collecting dust. Good thing I did not have to pay install labor, did it myself. Sounds like you really need to dig in your wallet and go the coilover route. I wish I would have initially. KW is an awesome product, there are cheaper products out there, KW has been around for a long time. If I weren't on a budget I would definitely have purchased them.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by FXG37S
All very good and valuable advice posted above. I spent almost $300 on just springs, took them off 3 months later. Now they are just sitting in the garage collecting dust. Good thing I did not have to pay install labor, did it myself. Sounds like you really need to dig in your wallet and go the coilover route. I wish I would have initially. KW is an awesome product, there are cheaper products out there, KW has been around for a long time. If I weren't on a budget I would definitely have purchased them.
Yeah, I went w/ springs, drop was too aggressive for our crappy roads and my wife drives the car more than I do so it was a bit much for her. Went w/ Megan LP coils that were a huge step up from the springs but not up to KW standards. It's still a purchase I don't regret since the ride is decent, not malking any noises, and the height is exactly where I want. When the time comes I will be getting V1s though. I've got 30k miles on my coils so probably another 30k miles and I'll pony up
Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Mbaseman

FX and BL -

What springs did you go with at first? How old were your stock shocks?

Mine have under 500 miles on them. I'm wondering if that makes a difference for springs that don't offer an aggressive drop, such as eiback pk or swift springs.

I'm still leaning towards CO's but again, worried about the rear dropping too low. Plus the extra money on top of camber kits, alignment, etc, is making me consider a slightly less expensive CO, such as Tein basis (or flex and go with edfc) or stance SS...

Decisions decisions...
Old 01-12-2015, 08:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

FX and BL -

What springs did you go with at first? How old were your stock shocks?

Mine have under 500 miles on them. I'm wondering if that makes a difference for springs that don't offer an aggressive drop, such as eiback pk or swift springs.

I'm still leaning towards CO's but again, worried about the rear dropping too low. Plus the extra money on top of camber kits, alignment, etc, is making me consider a slightly less expensive CO, such as Tein basis (or flex and go with edfc) or stance SS...

Decisions decisions...
I had (still have them in the garage) B&G S2 springs, about like H&Rs and Tein S Techs which are the deepest drop springs. Shocks had about 30k miles when springs installed and ran them for about 12k miles.

The shorter the springs the more the shock is compressed which puts more stress on the seals over time. The Eibachs are a decent choice for being low on a budget, but long term the investment in COs and the camber sets isn't too bad if you can DIY the install. If you plan on having your lowered G for 3 years or more I'd just pay the piper.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 PM
FXG37S

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I had Eibachs. 23k miles on the car. Do the coilover route, you will be happy. If you can't just bring yourself to fork out like $1700 for the KWs, look at other companies. There are other options. I'm happy with my $800 ISCs. Threw some spacers all the way around to make the wheels flush and good alignment. Done. I can email you a pic of my car as it sits now. I have no clue how to post pics.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 PM
MidlifeCrisis

KW V1's $1395.00 at TunerzStore.com

https://tunerzstore.com/index.php?ro...product_id=126
Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 PM
tomat03

any update on the setup you chose?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I started by considering lowering springs, Swift or Eibach PK seemed to be legit options, as I don't want to slam the car. Just want to minimize the wheel gap. But I am scared to imagine how poor the ride quality may be. Reading too many horror stories from people who say don't waste your money lowering on springs alone, do it right with coilovers.
What about Eibach or Swift and Koni Yellows?

Pretty popular combo over on the 370 boards....
Old 01-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Mbaseman

Haven't decided yet. Kind of leaning towards Tanabe or KW V1. But still worried about the rear being too low. Can't decide right now...

I doubt the Koni + springs because it won't save me much money, if any. Would that give me height adjustability just like most of the coilovers?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Haven't decided yet. Kind of leaning towards Tanabe or KW V1. But still worried about the rear being too low. Can't decide right now...

I doubt the Koni + springs because it won't save me much money, if any. Would that give me height adjustability just like most of the coilovers?
I was suggesting Koni Yellows and your spring of choice since you were worried coilovers would be too low. Konis are not height adjustable, but they are rebound adjustable. Do you want height adjustment or adjustable dampers to fine tune the ride? Neither the Tanabe or V1s have adjustable dampening.

I paid about $1100 for my Koni Yellow + Swift combo.

Remember, you might need camber kits with coilovers, so it's an extra cost.

And isn't corner balancing recommend to get the best results with coilovers?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thant makes two of us. So torn.

Quick Reply: KW V1 Coilovers - too low at highest setting? (Coilover question in general)