Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help AirLift sleeve out of place

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
AirLift sleeve out of place

Has this happened to anybody with AirLift bags??

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  58.2 KB

Its suppose to look like this

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  56.3 KB

I've been trying to roll the bottom of the sleeve over the strut but I cannot get it to roll over. I hear a popping noise from the bag whenever I hit a bump. Does anybody know how I can fix this?

Last edited by kevshiau; 07-28-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 AM
mexillis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First question is have you called airlift for guidance? 2nd have you fixed this yet? Was it upon installation? I would think it would be best to remove the bag and deflate it and then infalte to max and see if that will work. It does not look safe to drive around on though IMO. I have seen a youtube video of a D2 bag doing the same thing and they fixed it, you can try to search for it and see if they mention how it was fixed.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mexillis
First question is have you called airlift for guidance? 2nd have you fixed this yet? Was it upon installation? I would think it would be best to remove the bag and deflate it and then infalte to max and see if that will work. It does not look safe to drive around on though IMO. I have seen a youtube video of a D2 bag doing the same thing and they fixed it, you can try to search for it and see if they mention how it was fixed.
I haven't really been driving my car much since it happened, I am going to wait until I have some time to take it to a shop next month. I called airlift and they said they have never seen it happen before and I could just send it in for a warranty replacement. I've tried rolling it over inflated and deflated but just wouldn't work for me.

What I think happened was that when I tried to jack up the front of my car I did not air out while it was on the jack and it probably overextended the strut. I also broke the front sensors on my Accuair e-level when I jacked it up too. Is there a proper way to jack up your car with bags and accuair e-level?

I'll try to look into how they fixed the problem of the D2 bags.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 PM
mexillis

I have never had problems jacking up my car with the bags or e leveling system. I also usually air up higher than oem height to not jack as much. If you aren't driving it might as well send it in for warranty repair before it expires. Have you been told to air out when doing maintenance and raising the car?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Yeah, the guy that installed it told me i needed to air out when was on the jack, before the wheels were off the floor. But then again the guy that installed it did a terrible job with my install. I'm going to take it to a shop to have them look everything over to make sure everything else is ok. If they think I should get it replaced I'll just have them send it in for me while my car is at the shop, every time I try to DIY I either break something or the part doesn't fit back correctly... I guess you can say I'm not very mechanically inclined, but Ive tried haha.

BTW, does anyone know if this company does a good job with air installs, of if you know any good shop in the LA area?
Join the SWITCH STANCE MOVEMENT or You're just standing still!!! - Home

I was thinking either taking it to them or Evasive Motorsports.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Airlift is lying if they said they have never seen that before. I had this happen with my setup and they covered it under warranty. The ring wasn't grasping the bag and it was slightly slipped out so it wouldn't hold any air. They replaced it under warranty.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:07 PM
LegitMW

Does your front also air up slow compared to the back?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

I think the bag is holding air but I have a pretty bad leak in my system. My installer didn't seal my fittings right so I cant really tell if the bag is holding air completely. I can still drive with it though.

Yeah, my fronts lift a lot slower than my rears but my installer said that its because it takes a lot more pressure to lift my fronts so that's why its slower, that's just the way these bags are made. I don't really trust anything he says anymore so Ill ask when I take it to a shop next month and let you know what they say.

^ Where did you get your bags installed?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 PM
LegitMW

My rears go up in one smooth lift. The fronts goes up in increments at a time.

I had a friend install it for me; no shop.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Same as mine. It's a little better when I have my tank set at 200 PSI but with all the problems I'm having I have it set at 175 just to be safe.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
i thought i read somewhere that you should inflate your bags before you jack it up and let it back down to reduce the chance of the bag getting pinched or snagging on something
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 AM
kevshiau
Registered Member

That's how I jacked it up the first time but my installer was telling me that the airlift struts extend further than the sensors arms when there is air in the bags and that's how I broke my sensors. It might also be because I jacked it up from one side then the next. Or he's just making up excuses to cover up his mistake of installing it wrong.......
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 AM
mexillis

if you have room for bags while driving around it shouldnt get pinched or snaged while jacking it up. As for your elevel sensors they should of mounted it to where your max high and max low will not cause it break. How are you supposed to put your car on a lift? Air up then down as they raise it? That doesnt make any sense to me. I've had my bags and elevel for almost 3 years, wheel swap often on jacks, and havent had any problems working on my car on lifts. Im not saying there is no truth to airring down to be on the safe side but i havent done it and never heard of it until this thread.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

I was thinking the same thing also. I'm going to have the shop move the sensor lower when I bring it in. When the guy told me that I had to strap my wheels up when I jack up my car because the airlift struts extend further than the E- level sensor range.... I knew he was never going to touch my car again after that SMH. I should have listened to my gut and just took it to a shop to have it installed

So you guys air up, then jack up your car without airing out? What jack points do you use?

Last edited by kevshiau; 08-15-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 PM
mexillis

I use the normal jack points on the car where you would put the scissor jack and whatever that flat part is called going towards the oil pan. Keep in mind I have an M not sure if the front of the G has the same thing that's flat. Either way jacking up the car shouldnt mess things up. Just worked on my car today and had no problems using the combination of a lift and jack. I hope your car gets situated, sucks to have bags and accuair and not use it.
The following users liked this post:
kevshiau (08-18-2014)

Quick Reply: Help AirLift sleeve out of place