Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Car drives funny after hitting a curve.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Envee
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sneakers
Yeap you got it... anxiety, uncertainty, lack of precise control, thats the way how I feel when I drive my car now.

I also notice the problem is more pronounce on uneven road. When coasting to a stop, the front wheel feels like its following the slightest contour of the road but when accelerating I literally feel the front wheel straighten out and steering wheel tighten up. In NYC, we have lots and lots of uneven road. If I am not careful, the road will cause the wheel to turn unexpectedly.
My car behaves pretty much the same way. Here in Toronto, the lanes where our buses travel have these deep grooves. If I try to drive in these lanes, my car goes all over the place; constantly being pulled to the left or right. So much so that if i'm not actively correcting my steering, i'm sure I'd end up side swiping a car beside me. Its gotten to a point where I simply refuse to take roads that I know are particularly bad for this.

My only comparison was my old Kia Spectra I used to drive. It never happened in that car and I assumed it was a result of the way my tires, which are much wider on my g37, sits on the road.

Tonight I admit I got pretty darn scared. I was driving along the Gardiner Expressway, (basically some ****ty old highway lol), there was this dip/groove in a curved section of the road that unexpectedly and sharply threw my car left and nearly put me into the wall; it was really weird and I've never had it happen (to such a degree anyway) before.

Generally speaking, less the event I described above, if i'm accelerating or travelling fast, the effects are significantly reduced and as you mentioned, my handling feels much tighter; much more controlled. My buddy says it feels like my car pulls sometimes while he's driving and sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed this as well, but again, it seems to depend heavily on the condition of the road.

** (my mayor would rather smoke crack then repair roads) **

I occasionally experience the same left/right pull (following the contour of the road) when coming to a stop, but again, thats usually only when the road conditions are less then desirable. Typically if the road is smooth, theres no issue when driving, stopping or accelerating.

I should mention I was involved in a pretty nasty accident. I rear-ended a car in front of me doing roughly 60 kph (~39 mph) or so (the car in front of me smashed into the back of a car and in turn, i hit the back of him). Airbag deployed; other then that it was only body work. They didn't write off my car; they repaired it.

All in all, i've been debating whether its simply due to the poor road conditions or if there is actually something wrong with my car. It took a month to repair my vehicle and I don't really remember how it drove prior to that. At the end of the day though i'm not overly concerned; no shop ever told me there was anything wrong and it's still a joy to drive my G

Edit: Does this sound normal to you guys or is my car broken?

Last edited by Envee; 11-11-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Envee, sounds like yours is a case of "tramlining" google tramlining for a better definition, but it can get scary at times.
The following users liked this post:
Envee (11-17-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Short of having another G right next to it for comparison it would be hard to ID the culprit.
Might want to jack up the back and use jackstands so you can safely examine all the parts closely and compare them to the drivers side parts. Hopefully something might stand out or might see a nick or fresh sign of an impact on one of the parts. Alignment is a pretty fine adjustment so it wouldn't take much to be off.
Good luck, interested to hear how this turns out.

I thought the mechanics at the dealership would able to at least acknowledge there is problem during the test drive since they work on and test drive them all the time. Maybe they know these type of problem is a pain in the a$$ to fix so they'll dismiss it

Envee, sounds like yours is a case of "tramlining" google tramlining for a better definition, but it can get scary at times.
Aaah, was searching for the word "tramlining", thanks for that. Definitely not tramlining. In my case, the amount of wheel turn caused by the road is not proportion to the amount of steering wheel turn. Meaning, if you turn your steering wheel this amount, you are expecting that amount of wheel turn...hope that makes sense.

Last edited by sneakers; 11-11-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Envee
My car behaves pretty much the same way. Here in Toronto, the lanes where our buses travel have these deep grooves. If I try to drive in these lanes, my car goes all over the place; constantly being pulled to the left or right. So much so that if i'm not actively correcting my steering, i'm sure I'd end up side swiping a car beside me. Its gotten to a point where I simply refuse to take roads that I know are particularly bad for this.

My only comparison was my old Kia Spectra I used to drive. It never happened in that car and I assumed it was a result of the way my tires, which are much wider on my g37, sits on the road.

Tonight I admit I got pretty darn scared. I was driving along the Gardiner Expressway, (basically some ****ty old highway lol), there was this dip/groove in a curved section of the road that unexpectedly and sharply threw my car left and nearly put me into the wall; it was really weird and I've never had it happen (to such a degree anyway) before.

Generally speaking, less the event I described above, if i'm accelerating or travelling fast, the effects are significantly reduced and as you mentioned, my handling feels much tighter; much more controlled. My buddy says it feels like my car pulls sometimes while he's driving and sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed this as well, but again, it seems to depend heavily on the condition of the road.

I occasionally experience the same left/right pull (following the contour of the road) when coming to a stop, but again, thats usually only when the road conditions are less then desirable. Typically if the road is smooth, theres no issue when driving, stopping or accelerating.

I should mention I was involved in a pretty nasty accident. I rear-ended a car in front of me doing roughly 60 kph (~39 mph) or so (the car in front of me smashed into the back of a car and in turn, i hit the back of him). Airbag deployed; other then that it was only body work. They didn't write off my car; they repaired it.

All in all, i've been debating whether its simply due to the poor road conditions or if there is actually something wrong with my car. It took a month to repair my vehicle and I don't really remember how it drove prior to that. At the end of the day though i'm not overly concerned; no shop ever told me there was anything wrong and it's still a joy to drive my G

Edit: Does this sound normal to you guys or is my car broken?

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope insurance co. took care of you. If the car behaves and drives fine, but on uneven road, the car follows the path of the grove, it might be a case of tramlining like Blnewt said.

How long you had the car? It took me ~like a year to get use to it and accepted this was the norm. In December, it will be 4yrs anniversary and nothing but joy driving her. I get a kick taking on exit ramps, with turns, in a spirited way...If you are looking to improve on handling, definitely upgrade your sway bar.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The absolute first thing I would do is take it to a shop that specializes in suspension work. Try to find a place that does stuff for autocross and such. I had a bunch of steering complaints with my CPO that 3 dealer appointments (including 2 alignments) failed to fix. A single alignment at a dedicated shop (which was half the price of dealer alignments btw...) fixed it. I couldn't believe how much better the car felt.

Never underestimate what a good alignment will do (or a bad one for that matter).

A good sign that a shop is good is if they offer services such as corner balancing (not something you need, but it indicates they tend to be serious about suspension work).
Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Varjo
The absolute first thing I would do is take it to a shop that specializes in suspension work. Try to find a place that does stuff for autocross and such. I had a bunch of steering complaints with my CPO that 3 dealer appointments (including 2 alignments) failed to fix. A single alignment at a dedicated shop (which was half the price of dealer alignments btw...) fixed it. I couldn't believe how much better the car felt.

Never underestimate what a good alignment will do (or a bad one for that matter).

A good sign that a shop is good is if they offer services such as corner balancing (not something you need, but it indicates they tend to be serious about suspension work).
Thanks for the advice. I already had my alignment checked and the only thing that was out of spec was the front right toe. I agree with you, bb and the rest, the next step is to take it to a specialized shop.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Envee
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome! Thanks for the info! At least I know i'm not crazy now But yeah, I was pretty shaken up when it almost threw me into the wall. I was thinking to myself hollllly **** did that just happen.

Originally Posted by sneakers
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope insurance co. took care of you. If the car behaves and drives fine, but on uneven road, the car follows the path of the grove, it might be a case of tramlining like Blnewt said.

How long you had the car? It took me ~like a year to get use to it and accepted this was the norm. In December, it will be 4yrs anniversary and nothing but joy driving her. I get a kick taking on exit ramps, with turns, in a spirited way...If you are looking to improve on handling, definitely upgrade your sway bar.
Yeah, it really sucked. The official police report placed the driver of the second car (the one I ran into) at fault for the accident so I think that dismissed any doubts my insurance company may have had.

They ended up picking up the $12,000 repair bill thankfully. But since I did rear end someone, theres no way around the fact that my insurance premium will go up. I just hope its not so grossly outrageous that I can't afford it. (Insurance premiums in Toronto would surely make you sick). To put it into perspective, I was paying $430 a MONTH for a Kia Spectra. By the graces of god himself I got lucky when I bought this G37. I'm only paying $246 a month now. (yes, it went down for a 2 door sports car lol... explain that one).

Car drives funny after hitting a curve.-yutnfft.png

But to answer your question, I bought the car in March of this year, so I've had it for about 8 months or so. I too have had nothing but joy driving this car haha. I can take an off or on ramp doing 100 (kmph) easily and this thing just.. phew... butter I love it giggidy!

Come the summer I'll be dropping it on some H&R's and installing a sway bar and RC2 intakes. I can't wait! Damn you winterrrr
Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Well the search continue....

Drove little over an hour to a performance shop in L.I. Explained the problem and we took the car for a test drive. The roads are smooth and flat so its going to be difficult for tech to feel the problem I am describing. Tech then took the car to a road with lots of tight turns and dips. Needless to say the ride was exhilarating... Gotta admit my butt pucker up during on coming traffic. Later the tech said he use to race and taken that road many times doing over 100. Unfortunately he said there is nothing mechanically wrong but not to say there wasn't anything change after the impact. He didn't charge for the diagnostics and was very friendly. I won't hesitate going back for future work.

So the search continues to bring car back to how it was....