Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Suspension/coil over question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Suspension/coil over question

It seems as though my vehicle's stock struts are getting a bit long in the tooth, and lazy in their old age so they need to be retired. I've been searching the net and the forums for the past week and am having a hard time locating the information I am looking for, so hopefully someone here can help. I have an 08' sport coupe and really like the stock suspension, so I would like to target the same level of suspension in terms of dampening and ride height but I'd like a suspension replacement that will last longer. I'd be comfortable dropping slightly but not a whole lot... At the most I'd just like to tightest up the wheel gap without the look of the car being lowered. I'd also be okay with going a tad stiffer. What I'm really after is preformance and longevity. Most of the coil overs I've found seem to drop the vehicle significantly which I'm not interested in, but they seem to have the preformance I am looking for. The only coilover product that I've found so far that states it can maintain factory ride height is the Megan Racing Street LP solution, but I can't find anyone who can comment on the quality and preformance of that product. I'd rather not get OEM parts because they cost nearly as much, but I am tempted to. The other part of my quandary is the fact that I have 4was and several sites explicitly state that their products are only for non-4was vehicles, so that muddies the water even further. To date I've always stuck to drivetrain work and left the suspension alone so I'm a bit green in this area so any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay in the 1k-1.3k range. Thank you!!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by xeroed
It seems as though my vehicle's stock struts are getting a bit long in the tooth, and lazy in their old age so they need to be retired. I've been searching the net and the forums for the past week and am having a hard time locating the information I am looking for, so hopefully someone here can help. I have an 08' sport coupe and really like the stock suspension, so I would like to target the same level of suspension in terms of dampening and ride height but I'd like a suspension replacement that will last longer. I'd be comfortable dropping slightly but not a whole lot... At the most I'd just like to tightest up the wheel gap without the look of the car being lowered. I'd also be okay with going a tad stiffer. What I'm really after is preformance and longevity. Most of the coil overs I've found seem to drop the vehicle significantly which I'm not interested in, but they seem to have the preformance I am looking for. The only coilover product that I've found so far that states it can maintain factory ride height is the Megan Racing Street LP solution, but I can't find anyone who can comment on the quality and preformance of that product. I'd rather not get OEM parts because they cost nearly as much, but I am tempted to. The other part of my quandary is the fact that I have 4was and several sites explicitly state that their products are only for non-4was vehicles, so that muddies the water even further. To date I've always stuck to drivetrain work and left the suspension alone so I'm a bit green in this area so any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay in the 1k-1.3k range. Thank you!!
I've got about 8k miles on my Megans without any issues and I really like the ride (I'm about 1/3rd up the adjustment **** from the softest setting). Most of the budget coilovers get mediocre reviews but coming from a spring drop I'm SOOO much happier now. I think the overall coilover products have improved the last few years, I know the Megans & BCs had issues w/ excessive noise but seem to have addressed the problem for the most part. Only on rare occasions will I get one of those spring bind squeaks on a real off camber tilt up a steep drive.

I don't think you'll get anywhere near stock height w/ Megans though, the fronts you can go as high as a 4x4 but the rears are about 1.6" drop at the highest setting. Mine is a sedan so the coupe may be a bit different but probably pretty close in drop. If longer springs are available then you could go higher as there's plenty of threaded adjustability front and rear, it's just w/ the shorter spring you're starting out pretty low. Might want to contact Megan personally about that issue. Might even be able to put Swift springs that may be a bit longer for the height you want. Member Soundmike did this to his BCs, he might even have those springs for sale

If you want a slightly stiffer spring you might want to go w/ Tokico or Koni struts/shocks and 370Z springs, should give about 3/4" drop.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM
xeroed

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Megans... So are you saying that even though they say they will maintain stock ride height they really don't?

Anybody have coil overs on a 4was coupe who can comment?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:11 AM
xeroed

Anybody else have the Megan coilovers on a coupe? Anybody have experience with coilovers on a 4was vehicle?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Only on rare occasions will I get one of those spring bind squeaks on a real off camber tilt up a steep drive.
Put some thrust sheets on, that'll solve the coil binding issue.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by soundmike
Put some thrust sheets on, that'll solve the coil binding issue.
Where would I get those Mike?

Oh, and OP, might want to look into BC Coilovers as well, Soundmike dealt w/ some different spring setups that might work on your G.

In your situation (wanting a ride close to stock height) I'd definitely contact the company(s), they may have different options w/ spring setups to get you closer to what you're wanting.

The Megans & the BCs out of the box will be low out back (at least for the sedan).
HTHs
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Try Meghan, that'd probably be the best to ensure you get the proper sizes. They typically run about $20/pair.

It adds up though, you're looking at a pair per front corner, and a pair for both rears.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM
THMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For G37 we have always had good reviews on the Megans. According to our customers.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
For G37 we have always had good reviews on the Megans. According to our customers.
And THMotorsports gets great reviews from G37ers, you guys rock
Old 03-19-2013, 04:36 PM
THMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you, We definitely try to do our best
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
KW V1 is very good but price is a about $1500
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 PM