Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

2011 Journey Sedan RWD owner. Looking to buy rims / suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM
tingmothy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Journey Sedan RWD owner. Looking to buy rims / suspension

Hi guys,

New member here, from southern California and kind of noob at modding. I've been researching and searching the threads for the past week. I just had a few basic questions. Just got my g37 a few days ago. I want to lower the vehicle a little bit (only moderately). (1) Which suspension kit is the best for a moderate drop? eibach? swift? Any ideas? (2) Also, when I lower it only slightly, do I need to buy camber kits or anything? I want my ride to be as comfortable to stock as possible. H&R seems too large a drop for me.

Also, my vehicle's rims are completely stock. I was thinking of getting 19 inch rims. (3) With a RWD, should I stagger the rim width? I think the stock rims are 17 inches (I could be wrong). I don't want to get 20's because ride comfort is very important to me. (4) Should I get tires with a high aspect ratio to get more comfort?

(5) What is an ideal rim size and offset for 19 inch rims for a RWD sedan (assuming I want ride comfort)? (6) Also, if I don't drop the vehicle, how does this affect the rim and offset choices I have to make?

(7) If I want comfort, should I get 19x8.5 or 19x9.5? Is the wider rim going to have less comfort?

Once again, I want my ride to be as comfortable as possible. (8) With 19 inch rims, what size tires should I get to make it most comfortable? Would staggering tire size make it more or less comfortable?

Thanks for answering my noob questions. I Would really appreciate it if someone took the time to show me the ropes. Sorry for all the questions. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. I really tried searching for these answers, but couldn't find a consensus anywhere, since everyone here seems to be a pro lol. Anything would help me in my path to modding. I really appreciate it, and thanks again!!

Last edited by tingmothy; 02-21-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
J0KER

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put coupe 19" wheels on the car.... That will keep the ride as close to stock as possible but make the vehicle look a ton better.
The Eibach "pro-kit" is going to be your best option if you do not want the car "slammed". The drop on it is moderate and does not effect the ride too much. I am not sure if you would have to put a camber kit on it after the Eibach drop and 19" but I can let you know come Monday because I will be installing my Eibach springs and doing an alignment.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by J0KER
Put coupe 19" wheels on the car.... That will keep the ride as close to stock as possible but make the vehicle look a ton better.
The Eibach "pro-kit" is going to be your best option if you do not want the car "slammed". The drop on it is moderate and does not effect the ride too much. I am not sure if you would have to put a camber kit on it after the Eibach drop and 19" but I can let you know come Monday because I will be installing my Eibach springs and doing an alignment.
Great advice from the Joker^^
19" coupe wheels look nice and can be found on the marketplace section on the site for a good price (and probably w/ decent tires).
If you don't go that route be sure to use this calculator for correct sizes
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tire_rim_calculator.php
Just put your original tire in the top section and the tires you're wanting in the bottom section, you want your new tires to be within +/- 3% of your original tires diameter to keep your traction control, speedo, and ABS in range. If you can find a good alignment shop (one that deals w/ lowered vehicles on a regular basis) they should be able to get the milder Eibach & Tanabe drops in spec w/out camber kits, you still might need the rear toe kit though.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
tingmothy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J0KER
Hm thanks, I'll look into that. I would rather get other 19's though. And yea I'm leaning toward Eibach. Thanks for the response!

Originally Posted by blnewt
Great advice from the Joker^^
19" coupe wheels look nice and can be found on the marketplace section on the site for a good price (and probably w/ decent tires).
If you don't go that route be sure to use this calculator for correct sizes
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tire_rim_calculator.php
Just put your original tire in the top section and the tires you're wanting in the bottom section, you want your new tires to be within +/- 3% of your original tires diameter to keep your traction control, speedo, and ABS in range. If you can find a good alignment shop (one that deals w/ lowered vehicles on a regular basis) they should be able to get the milder Eibach & Tanabe drops in spec w/out camber kits, you still might need the rear toe kit though.
Thanks! reallly appreciate the responses.

I'm still wondering about the rims though. Should I stagger for a RWD sedan with automatic transmission? When looking at tires, should I look at aspect ratio if I want maximum comfort? Also, what's the recommended range of tire and rim size for 19's, if I want maximum comfort? Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the time you guys took to help me.

-Tingmothy
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by tingmothy
Hm thanks, I'll look into that. I would rather get other 19's though. And yea I'm leaning toward Eibach. Thanks for the response!

Thanks! reallly appreciate the responses.

I'm still wondering about the rims though. Should I stagger for a RWD sedan with automatic transmission? When looking at tires, should I look at aspect ratio if I want maximum comfort? Also, what's the recommended range of tire and rim size for 19's, if I want maximum comfort? Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the time you guys took to help me.

-Tingmothy
I'm really liking these, and a staggered setup is perfectly fine for a RWD AT. I've got a 20" staggered setup. Just keep in mind regarding aspect ratio, if you go 19" you'll have to be running lower profile sidewalls to keep the diamter similar to your OEM size, just use that calculator I linked to find sizes that work.
B2 Auto Designs