Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Coilover gone or something's gone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM
msmching

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Coilover gone or something's gone?

Had the full coilover kit installed at XXXX. Driven and was fine. But even before the last Sept 2012, I have been feeling weird when driven over bumps or uneven roads. It's making a sound, a sound that sounds like you knock on the cardboard.

I made a claim but never had the chance to bring it back to the installer to check, and plus I got into an accident that took two months to repair. Then I had to wait for the installer and the company to have time to check my car...

Finally, Last month, the company XXXX that made them came to check the car. I took out the wheels for him to see and see no oil leaking and such.
So I m stuck here right now. Driven on a seems-to-be blown shock in Downtown L.A is driving me crazy.

Question here is,
- If the shock has been blown for four months, will the oil leaking on the shock still be there? Any chance that it has been washed away already?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If your shock is leaking oil, you will very likely see it. It will be oily and dirt will stick to the oil. Why do you think it's blown, becasue of the noise? It could be any number of things besides a blown strut. First thing I'd do is check to make sure nothing at all is loose.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
msmching

I have been reading online about blown shocks...
For the leakin part, just wondering if its even possible that it has been washed away after months...

I have to say that I don't know much about these stuff, but the guy from the company checked it himself and find nothing loose.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
msmching

I may be wrong, but if something's loose other than the suspension itself, I should be able to hear it whenever I drive.

BB: what can possibly be loose? I'll find a way to check it out. Sway bars? Control arms?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Check every bolt, make sure they're torqued down to spec.

Also, check that everything else is seated properly.

Any chance you can provide more detail as well, such as amount of drop, camber settings, which coilover and what exactly you mean by "cardboard knock"? Incidentally i have a piece of cardboard in front of me and have been knocking on it... :\

What's the ride like? Bouncy? Bumpy? Floaty?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
What coilover kit? all are different... this info with help with trouble-shooting.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
msmching

Sorry for the lack of info...

Coilover Kit: CKS Coilover

More on the Back Wheels: 19 X 10.5 (Right Side). Tire is 275-35-19 Hankook. V12

Drop wise, i still have about an inch gap between tires and car body.

Sound Wise:
cardboard boxes.. knock on it as it you are knocking on the door.

This Coil has a total setting of 24...(24 being hardest), I believe I set the back at 20. Feeling wise, I believe it still bounces. (but due to the setting, its more on the stiff side...so...).

If there's chances that it may not be the coil, then I guess I will spend some money for someone to check all the bolts.

Thanks

Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
What coilover kit? all are different... this info with help with trouble-shooting.

Originally Posted by soundmike
Check every bolt, make sure they're torqued down to spec.

Also, check that everything else is seated properly.

Any chance you can provide more detail as well, such as amount of drop, camber settings, which coilover and what exactly you mean by "cardboard knock"? Incidentally i have a piece of cardboard in front of me and have been knocking on it... :\

What's the ride like? Bouncy? Bumpy? Floaty?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Mike nailed it (as usual). Try changing the setting of your damping and see if it persists. Set it to full soft and drive for a while and see if it still does it. Then full stiffness. Then somewhere in the middle. Mentally take note each time you hear it exactly what he car is doing at that moment (i.e. acceleration, hard braking, turning in a certain direction, road surface, etc.) This is how you troubleshoot and pinpoint what it might be. Also, make certain of where the noise is coming from, it can often be deceptive.

I'm not saying this is the case, but just because someone from the manufacturer inspected it and said it's good doesn't mean that it is. He could have missed something. If he didn't take it off of the car and test it, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in his conclusion.

Is the rear unit an OEM style or true coilover? If a true coilover, how did yo set the preload when installing it? Does it have a helper spring? Does it have a thrust washer under the spring on top of the lower seat?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
msmching

Thanks for coming in again Bb.

I will love to adjust the dampness of what you mentioned, however, you may know? If I want to adjust the softness/hardness, I'll have to take out the suspension to do so. I, myself doesn't have the capability to do that myself. @@

That being said, it also means I kinda no have no idea how the install was done. I have Lou @ amplified motorsports to do the install for me.

I understand that even if the manufacturer said okay, means okay. That's why I am getting help from you guys too. Lol.

But first stop, I'll be getting some time off to pay someone to double check all the bolts and such's torque'ness.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sway bar end links maybe broken?