Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Installed KW V3... Rear is very low! Correct?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM
mprog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed KW V3... Rear is very low! Correct?

I just installed v3's on my 09 coupe. I love the handling with them!

If I keep the rear spring perch adjuster at the maximum height as dictated in the literature that shipped with the V3's (this should give least drop), the rear wheels sit very low... Much lower than I would have guessed. (I do have the oem rubber piece installed in the spring basket). unfortunately, lower than I really want.

Is everyone else's experience the same?

I've extended the adjuster by approx. 4 inner threads to gain some height to better match the front, and not be so slammed. Anyone else do this , and have any issues because of this? Ride seems a little less well damped after doing this.. Not sure why.I may need to adjust the settings a bit.

Thanks!

(PS- also installed sme Michelin Pilot Super Sport 247/275... The car grips awesomely!)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:23 PM
mprog

Just to be clear:

The minimum spec'd drop in the rear of the car is much more of a drop than I expected.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my rear is 1/4'' lower than my front end( at least i think so). take a look at my pics. i have the camber kit and toe bolts too as fyi. i will have to adjust the front lower but then i will be running into some issues with scraping where i live.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Gville37

^^^^^ i do think i was on a flat surface when i measured....but nonetheless the rear was lower than i anticipated after install.. i was trying to get the rear slightly higher than front but....car still looks good. i do have to watch my exhaust pipes under the car...bottoming out SUX
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
mprog

Yeah, from a visual perspective, I like the rear of the car slightly higher than the front. I'm just concerned that it's too high (since it's technically higher than spec'd).

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:22 PM
terribleone
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I have the V1 kw's and my rear end also sits very low and I am close to the minimum recommended drop. I wonder if it is something with the KW's that they just sit extremely low and don't allow your car be raised very much?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM
mprog

Originally Posted by terribleone
I have the V1 kw's and my rear end also sits very low and I am close to the minimum recommended drop. I wonder if it is something with the KW's that they just sit extremely low and don't allow your car be raised very much?

Did you have to install rear toe adjustment to hit alignment specs?

Along those lines, I was wondering if they were originally designed for 370z rear...
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM
terribleone
Registered Member

no I did not have to install the rear toe bolts. I am right at the max for the toe spec so I will prolly do it in the future just to put it a little bit more in the middle of the range.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The KW Sits very low, thats why a stupid show put my Stock springs back in the rear to raise my height, which made me lose my rear springs. So I just ordered rear Springs & Adjusters.

Does anyone know how to Tune the Dampening on the KW V3 system and what else can be tuned, ride is wayyy too sporty for me, I miss the OEM Cushy Luxurious ride, I love the Sport Handling and quick response but would Like a Median in between, can anyone help or suggest? Does everyone else see it is very sporty and tighter steering, can it be adjusted to be made softer?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 AM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Call KW. Ask for rear spring spacers. If u send pictures of your bottomed out rear sus. They will provide free of charge. For damp and bump adjustment keep the settings as u have received when u first got them. If u intend to go more aggressive wheel offset. Might have to go harder.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Ralphie_S

I recently had KW V'3's installed on my car and I'll agree. the rear does sit quite a bit lower. I had to compensate by lowering the front just a tad.

How's the ride overall? Was it what you expected? Have you had any other coilovers?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Go to their web site at: KW manuals and certificates /// vehicle-specific certificate and assembly- and adjustment instructions

This will give you a choice of either a 2 way or 3 way PDF file adjustment procedure for your shocks you can download.

By the way I have these shocks on my NSX and love them. However the setup for that car was dead perfect for both the street and track. I tend to like a little stiffer setup for my car but they just grip like crazy and give you lots of feedback. Good luck.

Al
Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 PM
terribleone
Registered Member

^ this link is a good resource but it does not really correspond to why the rear of our cars are sitting low.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joo030879
Call KW. Ask for rear spring spacers. If u send pictures of your bottomed out rear sus. They will provide free of charge. For damp and bump adjustment keep the settings as u have received when u first got them. If u intend to go more aggressive wheel offset. Might have to go harder.
I could not get them to give me free rear spring spacers, they want like $50 a piece
Old 10-27-2012, 04:21 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Can anybody here compare how much of a difference on the rear height at maximum (kW3) compared to Eibach pro kit on the rear?

Quick Reply: Installed KW V3... Rear is very low! Correct?