Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help questions about eibach springs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
questions about eibach springs!

So I really wanna get my car lowered, BUT i have concerns about the front end being about 1.5" lower. I mainly drive around in south tampa (if anyone happens to be in the area) and its pretty notorious for pot holes and uneven roads. ALSO, my complex has a good amount of speed bumps, i have to go over about 5 before parking infront of my door (which all the spots have the concrete blocks infront of the spots too).

so my main questions are how do you guys handle potholes and uneven roads, and also speed bumps with these springs. i can almost gaurantee that a 1.5" drop in front will make me scrape the parking blocks every time. also, south tampa is pretty notorious for flooding when it pours, u guys ever have problems with the bottom of the bumper dragging, driving through deep (6-8") puddles?

thanks for the input! trying to make up my mind, but real hesitant about how much of an inconvenience daily driving will be =\
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Speed bumps are a trickier than pot holes. I have not heard people hitting pot holes and having damage after installing lowering springs. Best advise is to simply be aware/careful of the surroundings. I have to crawl over speed bumps and stop further away from parking stops that before.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Atlbrav1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going over speed bumps slow and at an angle will help that. Being aware to avoid pot holes if and when possible. Being careful and aware when parking not to pull to far forward or just try backing into parking spots.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
G37Some

do you guys consider that to be an annoyance for normal driving? always having to be conscious about ever little bump?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM
nseriessaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potholes and going directly over an uneven road feels alot more harsher with the eibachs installed. But minor things arent too noticeable. If your not putting a front lip on it, i wouldnt worry too much about scraping, just make sure to take your time going over bumps, and go over them at an angle and you'll be fine.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I was wondering if the 1.5" front drop can be raised a bit to around 1.2 or 1.1 with the use of some rubber spacer??? That's kind of what I want to do. Can anyone suggest a solution pls?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 PM
G37Some

now i see a lot of people getting camber for the rear. is that necessary? if i drop it, it will be on the stock 19" sport wheels with stock-spec tires. would i need the camber or spacers or anything. not familiar at all with drops, havent done it before.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Some
now i see a lot of people getting camber for the rear. is that necessary? if i drop it, it will be on the stock 19" sport wheels with stock-spec tires. would i need the camber or spacers or anything. not familiar at all with drops, havent done it before.
If you want proper tirewear, get the camber kits to get you back in spec. Otherwise they aren't really necessary. Spacers will help you get the wheels to poke more as the drop will make them tuck a good amount, but again aren't a necessity.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Dude. Why do you want to lower your car? Because it sounds like you have never drove a car that has been lower then stock before. What are you trying to do with your car? Driving a car that's lower then stock does take some learning and skill. You can't just go driving around all ***** Nelly with out looking out for pot holes and parking blocks speed bumps. You will damage your car if you do. The eibach drop is not low at all its 1.2 front 0.8 rear. On a G37 S. The AWD G gets a 1.8 1.5 inch drop on the front. So make sure you are looking at the correct springs. Also you may want to just get coilovers that way you can keep height of the car set to how you drive.... but again I ask why are lowering your car for? Because it sounds to me you only use your car as a DD. And if that's the case then keep it stock!!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM
G37Some

yeah, i didnt have my last car lowered because it wasnt feasible living in a mountainous area (WV). the main reason I want to do it is because it looks a lot better and more aggresive - lower in the front with a slight angle upwards to the rear - which from pics on here it looks like the eibachs give. performance wise it makes no difference to me. but thats why i was trying to gauge if its worth it or not. trying to see if it is a pain in the *** driving, and all the effort that has to go into it. yes the car is a DD, but that doesnt mean i cant make it stand out from the crowd.

after reading more and more it seems like i wont do it, but i wouldnt have be able to weigh pros n cons without posting and lurking around here.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Just go with KW V1 coilovers! SPC camber and wheel spacers H&R. Have a good shop do the work. If you drive in snow all the time, I would only do 1inch all around.