Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Brakes covered by warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Bo0m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes covered by warranty?

Hey guys, I have the 09 g37x coupe and my dealership had my brake pads replaced back in april and they started squealing after couple of weeks. I never had the time to go but I finally dropped it off yesterday. I purchased the Elite extended warranty when I bought the car.

Will the brake squeal fix be covered by warranty?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 PM
j23a45m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no not really thats a regular wear item.
I know infiniti gave me brand new rotors and brakes due to the TSB pulsation issue with breaking. But not everyone gets that lucky.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Nope! That is not covered. Sorry.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Bo0m

what if the squeal was because of their carelessness in installing the new pads?..
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM
dtran2714
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by j23a45m
no not really thats a regular wear item.
I know infiniti gave me brand new rotors and brakes due to the TSB pulsation issue with breaking. But not everyone gets that lucky.
I got my front brakes replaced for free for the TSB issue.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Bo0m

the squeal is coming from the front brakes.
I had them replaced for free because my steering wheel would vibrate and turn when i brake, uneven wear on the pads or something

if they were replaced in april, isn't it too soon for them to be squealing? I know if brakes squeal, usually means time for new pads but only after a couple of months?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM
DashKid
Banned

They will first check to see the wear on you're brakes and rotors. If you're brakes or rotors are worn then no it will not be covered but if both of them are in good shape they will replace it or try to fix it.

FYI the only true way to solve this is get new pads and rotors. I went to the dealership 3 times for this issue and every time it came back, but as soon as I changed my pads and rotors it has never yet to come back. Going on 18K and still strong on my ebc pads and rotors.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Bo0m

Just got my car back and LOLL they said they didn't hear any squeal and they just cleaned off some brake dust. As I drove the car off the lot, I hear brake squealing. WtF..
Old 08-18-2012, 02:14 PM
G37FrEEk

nope! just clean them if you know how to take them apart
Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Most brake squealing is caused by dust buildup between the pads and rotor. Often a good washing of the caliper area will reduce or stop that unless your pads are designed for higher temps and sometimes used on the track such as the Hawk HP+ pads. They squeak with light pedal pressure but if you apply enough hard pressure the squeal goes away. But it will come back when braking pressure is light. Squealing is caused by the dust between the pads and the rotor when pressure is applied. This uneven surface between the pads and rotor sets up a high pitched vibrations which we hear as a squealing or squeaking depending on the brake pressure. That's also why they have anti-squeal shims and grease for some pads when you put on new pads. You can also buy this stuff at most any auto parts store. Softer pads are less likely to squeal because they often dust less. Also try using a slotted rotor to clean the pad surface more effectively and also give the dust some place to go except on the surface of the rotor might work.

Brake pulsation can be caused by warped rotors, or uneven pad deposition on the surface of the rotor which often means they weren't bedded in correctly. Clean off the rotor surface or have them resurfaced and then either use different pads or bed in the old ones correctly, in fact bed in any new set of pads. Often most OEM soft pads don't need that much of a bed-in procedure to give smooth brake engagement. A warped rotor can often be resurfaced to take care of the pulsation but you should also try to figure out why the hell they warped to begin with. I've never warped a rotor even on from tracking. I have however not bedded a set of new pads correctly and as soon as they heated up the pulsing began in earnest. Finally on one Volvo 240, I had brake pulsing and severe vibration when trying to slow down quickly from freeway speeds. Dealer swore that it was rotors, but I thought since the car was fairly new that it had to be something different. I later found out that the set of Dunlop tires I had was the cause. When I changed the tires, the problem went away.

Al
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
jagautomotivenc

They will honestly likely look at your vehicle as long as every brake job has been done at Infiniti.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bandit what was the issue with the dunlop tires? I am having the same issue where breaking from highway speed the breaks pulsing and steering wheel vibrate. Dealer said the rotor is warped. I don't drive the car hard or brake hard to have caused the problem. Tks
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
ChiDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my G37X in the shop yesterday for warped rotors. The fronts and rears were warped and I asked them the same question - I've never had warped rotors on other cars, yet with this one, the fronts have warped twice in 33k miles, why? He said that was ok and just needed to be resurfaced. Luckily he covered it under warranty, but that is why I am on this board. It doesn't make sense to me and I want another solution before I have to replace the rotors completely since I suspect that they are just poor quality from Infiniti. Someone mentioned a TSB for warped rotors. What are the details? Thanks for the help.