Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

When you get aftermarket wheels, what do you do with your spares?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 AM
whatthefoie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you get aftermarket wheels, what do you do with your spares?

just FYI, my car is not on a lease. i put some coupe 19's on my car and my 17's have just been sitting in my garage. what do you guys usually do with the extra wheels? keep them just in case? any other reasons to keep them?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
You keep them just in case your car needs to go to the dealer and they ask to put the stocks back on or yuse them as your winter set
Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 AM
whatthefoie

Originally Posted by Sunny G
You keep them just in case your car needs to go to the dealer and they ask to put the stocks back on or yuse them as your winter set
just wondering but what kind of situation would that be? for your dealer to ask you to put your stock wheels back on?

i live in so cal so theres really only one season here
Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
atombomb33
Registered Member

Many people keep them and put them back on the car when they sell it. Or keep as a second set for winter. Or many people sell them to have more money for new wheels/tires. If you've got a place to store them and don't need the money, keep them.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you own the car and it isn't a lease then the dealer should never ask you to put the original wheels back on your car. I kept my stock set for winter, and track if I ever make it. Also its nice to be able to take the aftermarket set off for a few days polish them back up and put them on. I will run stocks for a few days while I do that
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 for Fentress. If you ever want to repair/polish/powdercoat your babies, you will have backup.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I just throw mine out and re-buy them at another time.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
whatthefoie

interesting, didnt think of the refinishing idea. humm i think i might sell them.. when is a user able to post in the classifieds??
Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Sarcastik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell them! (surprised no one said this). I too live in California so you can roll nice rims year round and keeping them is a complete waste. Much like the car they came off of they don't go up in value so its better to sell and get something while they are still worth something. Especially with Infiniti rims people with Nissans are eager to "upgrade to 18s from the smaller rims that came on their Altima or something...and even if don't get exactly what they are worth you can get close, plus you don't have to look them in your garage all the time. Most people who keep them end up giving them to the next owner of their car for free so you really don't miss on much.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Keep em just in case.
U bend a rim, u have a full size spare.
U take ur car to get work done, and u don't want it sitting out there w the nice wheels on it.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can sell at 100 posts and there may be a seniority requirement.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Convenience.

I would suggest keeping them.

Hypothetical Scenario #1.

You get tired of your current wheels and want to upgrade or change things up. You don't have $X,000 at your immediate disposal to spend on your new wheels, so you list your current set-up for sale so you can use that cash towards your new wheels. Someone bites and you sell them. However, you have no wheels now to put on your car so you can deliver your sold set and collect the money from your recent sale. Thus, you cannot move ahead with the purchase of your new wheels. A headache. Just convenience.

Hypothetical Scenario #2.

Like many, you are anxious to change your wheels just for the sake of changing them up and you downgrade your stock wheels just so you are able to say you have aftermarket wheels on your car. (I don't think this applies to you because it appears as though you have put the OEM 19" Enkei sport wheels on your G. ) Nonethless, you hit a pothole and bend a wheel. You curb a wheel. You discover a crack in your wheel. Any number of things could happen that call for removal of the wheel for a couple weeks to send it off to the repair shop. It's always nice to have a back-up set of wheels. Especially since you are not really going to get much for a set of stock 17" in the classifieds here. Maybe a few hundred bucks if you're lucky. With tires. Is it worth it? Do you need that money that badly? Again, just convenience.

I don't know. You asked for opinions. That is mine. Obviously you are free to do as you please. They're your wheels.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Convenience.

You get tired of your current wheels and want to upgrade or change things up. You don't have $X,000 at your immediate disposal to spend on your new wheels, so you list your current set-up for sale so you can use that cash towards your new wheels. Someone bites and you sell them. However, you have no wheels now to put on your car so you can deliver your sold set and collect the money from your recent sale. Thus, you cannot move ahead with the purchase of your new wheels. A headache. Just convenience.

Like many, you are anxious to change your wheels just for the sake of changing them up and you downgrade your stock wheels just so you are able to say you have aftermarket wheels on your car. (I don't think this applies to you because it appears as though you have put the OEM 19" Enkei sport wheels on your G. ) Nonethless, you hit a pothole and bend a wheel. You curb a wheel. You discover a crack in your wheel. Any number of things could happen that call for removal of the wheel for a couple weeks to send it off to the repair shop. It's always nice to have a back-up set of wheels. Especially since you are not really going to get much for a set of stock 17" in the classifieds here. Maybe a few hundred bucks if you're lucky. With tires. Is it worth it? Do you need that money that badly? Again, just convenience.

I don't know. You asked for opinions. That is mine. Obviously you are free to do as you please. They're your wheels.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:31 AM
whatthefoie

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Convenience.

Interesting points.. I just wanted some money to fund a new shotgun lol. i guess keeping them would help out later down the road.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Hotrodder00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got one of those tire storage racks from amazon and mine sit near the top of my garage on the wall. It's pretty slick!

Quick Reply: When you get aftermarket wheels, what do you do with your spares?