Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Motive power bleeder - pseudo review

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
aka nerd word
There's nothing nerdy about being educated brah.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks!

Did you run the pressure at 15psi? I did 10 because of the warning on the bottle not to exceed 15. Figured it was safer even if slower.
Yep, give or take a PSI. I've bled the brakes 4-6 times a year (track) the past couple of years and so far so good.

Another tip, you can tap the calipers with a rubber mallet and/or tilt it (useful on the Akebono's).

And oh, in the age of brakes/breaks, damper/dampen, their/there, etc., your fancy word is a nice change of pace.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
There's nothing nerdy about being educated brah.
Nerd has a positive connotation to me

Besides being one myself, nerdy chicks are hot.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by soundmike
Yep, give or take a PSI. I've bled the brakes 4-6 times a year (track) the past couple of years and so far so good.

Another tip, you can tap the calipers with a rubber mallet and/or tilt it (useful on the Akebono's).

And oh, in the age of brakes/breaks, damper/dampen, their/there, etc., your fancy word is a nice change of pace.
Funny story, I remembered the tapping trick AFTER I completed my brake job. Duhhhrrr... Oh well, next time I do a bleed I'll do the tap trick. Plus, I did use 2 entire liters of fluid

And yeah, I agree on the above... correct use of words and grammar seems to be going the way of the dodo. Did you know that 'irregardless' is now in the Webster's Dictionary? But that's how language evolves- via the cretins.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by soundmike

speaking of tracking, what pads/rotors are you using?

I'm considering some project mu pads (either the NS or the b-spec, need to do some research on that).

When my stock rotors need replacement I will be getting a set of Racing Brake two-piece jobs and I will probably do the brake lines at that time too.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Funny story, I remembered the tapping trick AFTER I completed my brake job. Duhhhrrr... Oh well, next time I do a bleed I'll do the tap trick. Plus, I did use 2 entire liters of fluid

And yeah, I agree on the above... correct use of words and grammar seems to be going the way of the dodo. Did you know that 'irregardless' is now in the Webster's Dictionary? But that's how language evolves- via the cretins.
No kidding, really? I guess i should've have mentioned anything just yet. Who knows? We might finally get a brake posting threads on breaks.

Yeah, that's the only downside to the Motive bleeder -- you tend to use more fluid than necessary to keep that pump happy. But hey, it's convenient!

speaking of tracking, what pads/rotors are you using?

I'm considering some project mu pads (either the NS or the b-spec, need to do some research on that).

When my stock rotors need replacement I will be getting a set of Racing Brake two-piece jobs and I will probably do the brake lines at that time too.
Currently have Stoptech Street Performance pads (really dusty, but works well.) I have RB 2-pc up front and the OEM rotors in the back. I couldn't justify the cost vs. weight savings for the rear RB 2-pc, especially since majority of the weight is in the hub area. My solution? Got lighter wheels, and by this Sunday, tires that are 3lbs. lighter at each corner.

I have no experience with the P-Mu's, but just a word of advice that if you're not planning on being overly aggressive with the brakes, get something that works better in the temperature range you'll mostly be in. Otherwise, you'll be sacrificing cold braking performance for high-temp resistance that you may never even get to (or vice versa.)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 PM
ashmostro

Yeah I'm leaning towards the NS model for that reason. The coefficient of friction ('mu' hehe) has a much smaller window within its temp range and has more bite when cold compared to the spec b.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:16 AM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Went fancy and got the 0117 motive power bleeder, used it dry with Stoptech STR600, works very well as long you keep an eye out on the reservoir that way you won't waste more than necessary. Diy catch bottle with silicone hose from Lowe's paired with 8oz water bottle I dremaled the cap so the hose can pass
through it only costed me few bucks lol

I haz the PMU bforce for about a week and so far I love it. Bites nicely, very minimal dust, no more squeaks vs akebono. Haven't track them yet but I am sure they'll do pretty well

How's the Motul 5.1?

Last edited by huwee06; 06-30-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
ashmostro

Curious why you chose the metal cap version? The plastic seals perfectly well, so just bling bling?

Nice re the pads! Let me know after you get a few more miles how much you like them, particularly on colder mornings 9if we have any, jeez). I don't like the low-temp friction coeff in comparison to the NS.

The motul 5.1 seems fine so far, but I haven't done anything to stress the fluid either. Previous fill in the car was factory, so no fair comparison there. On my motorcycles I was running RBF600 but I took the remaining M5.1 and bled the bike too. Also haven't had a chance to really push the bike, but the bleed has brought a stiffness to the brake lever that she never had... love that.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 PM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just felt having the extra bling! Guess it'll be more durable with the aluminum cap for longevity too I guess. I contacted Motive see if they can custom a clutch cap ver. for my 6mt just have to pm them back with some pics!

Will let you know how it goes but it hasn't or will not be cool down here in Houston for awhile the summer heat is at its full force
Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 PM
ashmostro

I think the motive was one of the best investments I've made in tools! Cool that you asked about the clutch... Too many people take clutch bleeding for granted because they're not as obvious as mushy brakes.