Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Bandit's Wheel Peeling Pictures. How to Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 AM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Bandit's 19" OEM Wheels have STREAKING & PEELING. Pictures Inside! Come look!

LOOK Down Several Posts. I ADDED New Pictures of the STREAKING that won't come off too.

Bandit here and sorry for all the threads lately. I made a seperate thread because this is a NEW SEPERATE ISSUES I am trying to figure out.

The quick summary is got a 2009 G37 Sedan, Black on Black 3 weeks ago. I just bought 19" OEM G37 Coupe Wheels off a local forum memeber who took them off his 2008 G37 Coupe at 23K Miles and have been sitting in his garage for a few years. I was seriously considering getting all 4 Chromed, but after hearing suggestions and getting a little gun shy about being too much of a PIMP with the Chromies, I am leaning toward putting the Coupe 19" Wheels on AS IS to see how they look.

The wheels I purchased were in great shape overall, except a shallow nick on the face of a One wheel spoke face. You can see some black through the silver finish that got nicked/peeled off.

However, ONE Wheel in particular had some prtty bad peeling (Will include pics below). I also rubbed the peeling with my finger and it peeled off further. The memeber I got them from said he thought he had that one repaired in the past and it looked like the repair was comming off.

What should I do to fix the wheels to make new again? I am going to bring them to a LOCAL place in Dallas (Where I live). Anyone have any suggestions on a good place near Dallas that does good work on wheels, let me KNOW Please

OK, a Picture is worth a thousand POSTS.

This one shows exactly what I mean, by "Peeling".

Name:  Peel2.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  152.3 KB

Same Wheel, different area.

Peel4.jpg?t=1340546661

Name:  Peel3.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  175.7 KB

Name:  Peel1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  153.6 KB

Here is the Surface NICK on the FACE of the Wheel Spoke I mentioned
earlier. It actually might just bemore paint peeling off and has black dirt/oil showing through the nick/peeling?

Name:  NickonG37wheel.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  130.4 KB

Thanks for looking at this for me. So I guess I should just bring the 2 wheels in to get repaired? What do you guys think I need to do?

The Bandit..............................

Last edited by 2009G37Bandit; 06-24-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
trouble is the color is hyper silver, almost impossible to match with touch up paint due to the 3 stage paint, so you'll have to get a repair place with something that is incredibly close. The paint is actually "illegal" in the US due to environmental reasons, which is why no one can get a perfect match here. Most wheel places have something that is so close you won't notice the difference though.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
2009G37Bandit

I am sure it is a Lighting thing, But the wheels on my 2009 Infiniti G37 SEDAN look Brighter than the wheels I bought that were on a 2008 G37 Coupe?

Now the Coupe wheels are laying on a large flat box in my garage (so there are shadows on them) and my sedan is parked in the garage with the light hitting them more, so it might just be a perception thing.

Does anyone know if the 2008 Coupe Wheels and 2009 Sedans Wheels are the Exact Color , or were any changes made to the color/finishing process of the wheels from year to year?

I just Contacted several repair places in DALLAS, via e-mail and sent corresponding pictures so I am sure someone can get these fixed. These are EASY to fix in terms of the dammage, because the dammage is not that bad, now color matching is another story, but if they are close, that's cool. I mean, no one is going to kneel down next to the wheels with a color chart and compare my wheels so I am not that concerened about it. I just want a repair that looks good upon normal visiual inspection and want to make sure teh REPAIR is done right and holds up to normal cleaning and daily driving.

Last edited by 2009G37Bandit; 06-24-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Looks like it's been refinished before and the paint/clearcoat is peeling off. It's an easy fix. I had 3 of mine done in L.A. for less than $200. Any reputable wheel repair shop can fix yours. If you pay more than $100 each, then you're probably paying too much.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 PM
2009G37Bandit

Tried to Clean my Wheels with Dawn and water first, then McGuires Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, didn't do anything.

Here is another 19" Wheel from the set I bought, it has streaking in several areas that won't come off. I don't know if it is oil and grime that was left on and burned into the wheel, or was paited or what? I am not sure if it can be professionally cleand and/or polished out?. Or, will I have to have the entire wheel repaired/refinished. It looks like I will have to get all 4 of the wheels I bought refinished or chromed at this point, if I want them to look new and can't get this stuff off.

Here are some pictures of the streaking I am talking about:

Name:  Streaking3G37Wheels.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  209.9 KB

Name:  Streaking2G37Wheels.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  177.3 KB

Name:  StreakingG37Wheels.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  207.9 KB

Last edited by 2009G37Bandit; 06-25-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry if this has already been covered, but were you not made aware of the condition of the wheels before you bought them?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 AM
ashmostro

(BTW, the above is an honest question- I feel for you!)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 AM
2009G37Bandit

It was a Local sale off the forum and I did it at lunch during work and they were in the trunk and hard to see. I DID see the peeling and brought it up, he said one had been repaired. I also saw the streaking or black marks all over the wheel, but if you LOOK at it, it just looks like oil or dirt and I assumed it was just DIRTY and would just come off with cleaning.

To be honest, I was planning to get these CHROMED anyway, so I wasn't concerened with the finish as much. I was more concerned with the structure of the wheel and no dammage or bending, etc.

They strip them down to the core anyway when you end them to get chromed. However, now that I might these wheels on, as is, it is now becoming more of a concern.

Again, I KNEW about the peeling (saw it and seller was honest and said yeah I had that one fixed before and it is peeling), but assumed the other stuff was just left on oil that streaked down the rim. It very well STILL COULD BE THIS, and it needs to be polished out??? I will just let someone look at it.

I paid $600, so even if I have to spend more $$ to fix them it won't be a total rip off, just definatly makes the deal I got not as good as I thought it was.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
ashmostro

Understood. Good luck man.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
try asking the seller about it...since he is local.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
2009G37Bandit

See below

Last edited by 2009G37Bandit; 06-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
ColesAircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say: I think these wheels were repainted by whoever you bought them from, and without much thought to prep work from what it looks like, or using the right paint. Repainting them again over this finish or touching them up will not solve the problem - just delay the inevitable.

Strip 'em and refinish professionally. But don't let a repair place convince you to take shortcuts to save $$$. They do need to be stripped to get rid of that flaking paint that isn't adhering to the wheels!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
2009G37Bandit

Latest Update from Bandit 6-25!

Here is the LATEST! I think I got it figured out now. I am going to Have EACH Wheel totally stripped down and redone m=by a reputable shop. I already checked credentials and they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I am adding at Michelan Super Sports (Similar to Pilot Sports, but better).

I JUST called 2 places who can refinish the wheel locally in Dallas. Wheels America
(A Large Corporate Company) wants $135 per wheel to do them in Hyper Silver. I tried to bargain , but they can't because pricing is set at a corporate level.

Then went to a 2nd place (I told Wheels America about the place I was thinking about, and they said, they are very good and will do the same job and that they were also good.

Anyway, physically drove there at Noon today (it's on my home from work), abou $500 for all 4 wheels. Also offered to mount and balance my new TIRES free.

So, if I go with them, I can just buy the tires anywhere (Tire Rack etc), Ship them to their shop, and they can do my Wheels AND mount and Balance for free, so I will save more money vs. going to Discount Tire, and they will swap my tire/wheel Sensors too.

He said They can do Hyper Chrome in 2 Options, a LIGHT Color (more Bright, which is what I wanted), OR, a Darker Hyper Silver which he reccomended and says he thinks would look the best and will still be Bright.

$600 for Used 19" OEM Wheels

$500 to refinish ALL wheels (Hyper Silver)

Free Mounting and Balancing/sensor swap

$1,100 (Approx for Michelan Pilot Tires)

Total= $2,200 and then I can eventually sell my MINT 17" Wheels and Tires for approx. $500. So when it's all said and done, t, I get new 19" wheels totally redone to look NEW, with 19" tires for about $1,700

What do you think? Any opinion on the Hyper Silver LIGHT vs. DARK? I told him I was looking at Chrome and wanted BRIGHT, but he said the darker looks better. The lighter Hyper Silver is acheived by spraying LESS paint on in the final process, the brighter version just utilizes LESS Paint, the Darker HS is acheived by the way the spray on the paint and ther thickness.

Oh Ya, I can Paint the Inner Barrels (which will be covered by the tire) either BLACK or Hyper Silver. They suggested Black so it won't show dirt.

What do you guys think?

The Bandit............................

P.S. the guy at the place said the streaking looked like someone sprayed wheel cleaner on the wheels and left it on, after they sat for years in the gaarge, they ate throught whe finish. I showed him pictures.

Last edited by 2009G37Bandit; 06-25-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
htran16

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let us know how it comes out. I might have to do this to my wheels also. Where's the second place located and what is the name of the shop? also, how long should it take to have this done.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM
ashmostro

Get the pss tires from discount tire direct- with free shipping they come out less. I know because I just purchased the same tires.

Quick Reply: Bandit's Wheel Peeling Pictures. How to Repair?