Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Steering wheel vibration during left turns

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 AM
MW_G37xS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel vibration during left turns

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue or have addressed it.

When going at speeds of about 15-20 MPH, if i take a moderate to sharp left turn, I can feel vibrations in the steering wheel and hear a whirring/winding noise. This doesn't happen if the car is idle or if I take sharp turns at slower speeds, e.g. pulling into a space.

Anyone have any idea? It's a 2012 xS coupe so I can still bring it in under warranty conditions. Just figured I can give the dealership a head's up of what might be wrong.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Dulanicki

The traction control/all wheel drive system adjusting the traveling speed of the tires on the driver side. The dealer is going to tell you that this is normal behavior. I already brought mine in for the same thing and was told its operating normally. However, mine does it with both a left and right turn. It's a very slight vibration.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 PM
xSSv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the exact same issue. Before I changed my steering wheel I brought it in several times and got the same standard answer. "Normal behavior and nothing is wrong."
Old 04-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
How's your breaking? Any vibration? Disk warped maybe? Bearing bad?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 AM
MW_G37xS

Thanks for the input, guys. Just found it strange since it happens to only one side, but this does put things more at ease. Too bad there's nothing in the manual that mentions vibrations due to the AWD adjusting wheel speed like it does for ABS. Hope the dealerships aren't being lazy...

No other vibrations are noticed i.e. during braking. Other than this, totally enjoying the car!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 AM
XSivG

Thumbs up

I have just over 1300 miles on my car and have started to experience this very same issue from time to time with a slight groan/vibration when making a left turn. Did some research and came up with this from the Infiniti forum. I think it may definitely answer our questions as to what is causing it and the fix !!!
Hope this helps ???
Good Luck.
Even thought the title says "brake issue", the vibration problem is addressed there !!!
2012 G37X Brake Issue - Infiniti Forum

ps: my G was built on 11/08/2011.

Last edited by XSivG; 05-07-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Mine was built around the same time, ~3K miles on the odometer now. No such noises/feelings. Is it pretty obvious when it happens or you really have to be paying attention? I notice no difference in amount of effort needed to make right or left turns.

Maybe it's something common to the X models more so than the regular rwd ones.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM
XSivG

@Jsolo,
I first read the post on the Infiniti forum quite some time ago, so I kept an eye out for the possible issue. To my disapointment I had felt it very mildly in the past from time to time, and NOT on every left turn, but this past Saturday while turning into a strip mall at a faster rate of speed than I would normally, my wife and I both felt the quick vibration and heard the slight groan. I also felt the vibration in the steering wheel and the wheel became a bit harder to turn for a brief second. After that all was fine. What occured on Saturday was way obvious, the other times I'd have to say for the most part that if u wern't aware of the possible issue you would probably not notice it especially if you were talking to someone or the radio was on.
The Infiniti forum posts states that it was found to be a defective valve in the steering pump reservoir, and the issue did not return after the new redesigned part was installed !!!
Time will tell if more with this problem appear.
For me right now, if it isn't detrimental to the car, (and that has yet to be determined) I'm not bringing it to the dealer to have it fixed as it's not that much of an issue. Besides, I don't like dealers touching my car if they don't have to !!! Been there done that.
Russ
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
XSivG, thanks for the informative reply. I see your car is also an X. I'd venture a guess that the power steering on those cars encounters more stress than that of the rwd - more force needed to turn the wheels because of the additional driveline. Wonder if that is a contributing factor.

I've done some high speed left turns, but not sharp left turns (mostly the usual turning left on an arrow type of thing). Haven't felt anything yet.

Agreed about not making an issue out of it until it becomes an issue.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
original sin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I experience the same issue, but it is intermittent and not constant.
My car only has 400 miles on it, but it is a 2012 G37xS Sedan, not a coupe.
The steering wheel vibrates during a sharp U-turn and some groaning occurs. The steering wheel is NOT at full lock. This occurred at about 5-10 mph.
I could not get it to replicate during right sharp turns.
The problem has occurred 3 times within the past week and I am unsure what the exact cause it. I first thought it was the power steering pump dying, but my car is new, so that is just odd. Then I just tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and that the AWD system was engaging. I tried tightening my lugnuts to the recommended 80 ft/lbs and I will see if it comes back. I hope it does not.

I am subscribed for further details.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
XSivG

original sin,
thanx for ur input, it seems to be exactly what others are experiencing.
if u read the link that I posted earlier I think your questions will be answered. read through all the post's.
I'm going to try and get in touch with the two guys who had the issue on the Infiniti forum, and ask for an update !!!
lata.
Russ

ps: what is ur build date original sin ???
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM
nedlyj

Originally Posted by XSivG
@Jsolo,
I first read the post on the Infiniti forum quite some time ago, so I kept an eye out for the possible issue. To my disapointment I had felt it very mildly in the past from time to time, and NOT on every left turn, but this past Saturday while turning into a strip mall at a faster rate of speed than I would normally, my wife and I both felt the quick vibration and heard the slight groan. I also felt the vibration in the steering wheel and the wheel became a bit harder to turn for a brief second. After that all was fine. What occured on Saturday was way obvious, the other times I'd have to say for the most part that if u wern't aware of the possible issue you would probably not notice it especially if you were talking to someone or the radio was on.
The Infiniti forum posts states that it was found to be a defective valve in the steering pump reservoir, and the issue did not return after the new redesigned part was installed !!!
Time will tell if more with this problem appear.
For me right now, if it isn't detrimental to the car, (and that has yet to be determined) I'm not bringing it to the dealer to have it fixed as it's not that much of an issue. Besides, I don't like dealers touching my car if they don't have to !!! Been there done that.
Russ
XSivG,

Thanks for contacting me over at the Infiniti forum. Your description exactly mimics mine. A key was that (of course) I was able to duplicate it with the service manager in the car (he could not however replicate it himself). It was a very distinct condition, wheel has to be turned just right - can't be a soft turn, and can't be too fast of a turn. Mine was always at 10-20MPH and a very sharp turn, like slowing down and turning sharp left into a driveway (like the Dealer's) - wheel turned almost full left.

I am now at about 1100 miles and 5 weeks since my power steering reservoir was replaced with a new design by Infiniti Engineers who came out specifically to do this. Has worked flawlessly since then. I was told by the service manager (2nd hand) the issue allowed an air bubble in the power steering under certain conditions which gave that brief loss of power and the groan/vibration. Don't know if that's really the case, but that's what I was told.

BTW, mine was not a whirring or winding noise as the OP stated, but rather a noticeable groan, vibration and stiffness in the wheel for a second or two.

FYI - I have a '12 G25X sedan.

Regards,

-n
Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 PM
original sin

Originally Posted by XSivG
original sin,
thanx for ur input, it seems to be exactly what others are experiencing.
if u read the link that I posted earlier I think your questions will be answered. read through all the post's.
I'm going to try and get in touch with the two guys who had the issue on the Infiniti forum, and ask for an update !!!
lata.
Russ

ps: what is ur build date original sin ???
I will have to check my build date. I assume it is on the side door sill or under the hood?
Have you contacted your dealer?
What have they said?
Please keep me updated. I am prepared to call my dealership ASAP.

Last edited by original sin; 05-09-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
XSivG

@ -n, thanx for the quick reply and the post to this forum, appreciate it !!!
this will def help shed some light on the issue for other members as it did for me. all the best.

@ original sin, the build date is located on the lower portion of the drivers door jam. states the month and year of build.
I don't think it's anything to get real excited/upset about as it is not a continuous/dangerous proplem. if u do bring it to ur dealership ur going to have to duplicate it for him most likely before they make a fix. I myself have not called my dealer and most likely will not unless it gets much worse, again it's not a saftey issue. the warranty will cover the car for the next several years, so an immediate fix is not necessary !!!
you have to do what makes u happy however if u do get in touch with your dealer please let the fourm know what they said, and if a fix was made, etc. thanx !!!
lata,

Russ

Last edited by XSivG; 05-11-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM
original sin

Havent called the dealership yet.
My build date is 11/2011.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration during left turns