Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Is caster adjustable on a G37 sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is caster adjustable on a G37 sedan?

I took my car for an alignment and the shop is telling me that the caster is not adjustable on my car. I do have front and rear camber kits installed on my car and another shop that I have been to was able to adjust the caster. On a stock G37 is the caster adjustable? Is the caster also adjustable if you have front and rear camber kits?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
GET_SOME

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have the spc fronts then yes it is adjustable. they probably just didnt want to take the time to do it
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Stock, no. With the SPC front arms, yes. It's possible that they just didn't know how to adjust the caster on your SPC arms or didn't want to bother doing it.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
BB, loosening engine cradle bolts won't give you any sort of adjustment on this car? I know on most FWD cars, you can get a slight adjustment this way.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
dpattana
Registered Member

Rather than starting a new thread I decided to bring this one back up. Originally I took my car to NTB in my town and purchased the one year alignment warranty. These are the people that told me that caster wasn't adjustable.

So yesterday I took my car to another NTB about 30 min away. They knew that I have a camber kit and they told me that the warranty doesn't cover aftermarket parts and the there would be a labor charge to bring everything back to spec. I had them do it because they would adjust everything. They finished roughly 20 min later. I paid and left, I didn't look at the alignment sheet until I got home and that's when I realized that they didn't even adjust the camber or caster in the front. They also gave me a sheet saying that "The manufacturer does not specify front camber and caster adjustments."

Do you think I have any recourse seeing that the first NTB sold me a one year alignment warranty probably knowing that my car is modified and that the other NTB charged me for an alignment and really didn't do anything?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

That alignment is horrible! If your car had the camber arms on it when they sold you the 1 year alignment then they either need to continue to align your car per the agreement they sold you or refund your money. They can't have it both ways. If it were me I'd get a refund because what they sold you is useless if they refuse to adjust it for free like you paid for.

Your car is aligned worse now than when it went in. They did not adjust your front camber or caster at all (even though it is in spec on one side and very close on the other) and made your front toe worse on BOTH sides! They also took your toe from in spec to out of spec on one side in the rear. There's no way you should let that go. You just paid them to make your car worse. If they don't know how to adjust your alignment with the SPC parts they shouldn't have taken your money to do it.

Get your money back from them and go somewhere else. I have had an issue with NTB as well. Same deal, I paid for 3 year alignment and when I went in to get it realigned after lowering it more they said they wouldn't align it. I told the manager when I bought the alignment that I have coilovers and may adjust them from time to time and that's why I wanted the 3 year alignment, so they could fix it afterward. He said no problem at the time, but then gave me a different story when I went in to have it done. Long story short, I raised hell and he shouldn't budge. I called to his district manager and the next day I get a call form the manager of the shop. He aligned my car and refunded my money. He was not happy. Screw him, I tried to reasonably get him to do it the easy way without calling his boss and he wouldn't. I've been to 2 in the Houston area and both were manned by idiots. I'd suggest going elsewhere.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^ looks to me like they adjusted the toe to be within spec.

Most shops will only adjust toe unless you mention the camber as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Reading comprehension > me.

I was looking at the numbers backward. They did correct the toe. However since he has a comber kit they could/should have corrected that too. and if he already paid for 1 year alignment he shouldn't have to pay them again.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I don't think a place like NTB is proper to align this type of car.

There's being in spec, and there's preferred alignment specs. The first means the values are between range x-y that the manufacturer has specified. Preferred otoh will give you better handling, stability, etc based on the type of suspension mods you have. IIRC there are some threads on here where others have specified what those may be, but you'll have to do some searching to find them.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
However since he has a comber kit they could/should have corrected that too. and if he already paid for 1 year alignment he shouldn't have to pay them again.
Agreed. The shop i work with know me fairly well now and always asks how i want the alignment set, they even recommended i get the aftermarket kit to help them with the adjustments. No additional charges, they kept their part of the "lifetime alignment" bargain, and i just keep doing business with them.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

I think I'm going to go to Texas Track Works/PTP in Fort Worth. I know that they have experience in modded cars. They do charge a bit more than NTB, but at least they'll make all the necessary adjustments to get what you want.

I've contacted corporate for NTB, I'll see what they will be doing if anything. All I know is that they lost at least one customer for life and I will no longer be recommending anybody else to go to them for anything.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

Here is a follow-up:

NTB called me back and directed me to go to another store near my house. They got the car back to factory specs without any issue and they also said that they would continue to honor the alignment warranty. They also said that they would work with the regional manager to get my money back that the other NTB charged me.

I wound up getting a call from the other store and in the end I got my money back and the guy that charged me didn't sound to pleased. The manager of that store was trying to defend the charge by saying that by having an aftermarket suspension I voided the alignment warranty. I guess they were wrong.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Hooray! I'm glad you go them do do what you paid them for. Care to tell us who the a-holes that gave you the problem were and which location did it right?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

The a-holes were the NTB Grapevine near Grapevine Mills. The store that did it right was the NTB Arlington off of 287. While the NTB in Arlington off I-20 did honor the warranty they wouldn't adjust the caster or camber in the front.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Hooray! I'm glad you go them do do what you paid them for. Care to tell us who the a-holes that gave you the problem were and which location did it right?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
next time do check the piece of paper they give you after the alignment and make sure everything is adjusted to within spec. its an important piece of paper.
I never pay till i see it and ensure its been done right.